Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Defense Strategy

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I have been looking at folding security gates. It would be nice to lock up basement sliding doors or interior garage access doors with one of these.
    That is a very good idea. Price is not too bad. I like the idea for the garage inside doors. I am not worried about the garage door itself, mine is solid wood and weighs a lot. I had to lift it up manually once and it took 2 people. It is solid.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have been looking at folding security gates. It would be nice to lock up basement sliding doors or interior garage access doors with one of these.
    That seems like a great way to slow access to the living area or help in a layered type of security for off site preps. And not a bad price point either. Good find!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post

So, for discussion sake...

Well, for me and my situation it is even tougher, because I am the driving force in my family for prepping. My brothers are on board but they don't have the sense of urgency that I do. For instance one of my brothers bought an off the shelf Rock River Arms AR15 and thinks he is ready to storm the beaches. I think he has four magazines, and maybe 100 rounds of Federal .223 ammo. No way of carrying extra mags, out side of dropping them into a jeans pocket. He honestly thinks he can buy what he needs when/as an event happens. He is a great guy, makes a bunch of money, but his focus is on other things. Another one of my brothers has a small arsenal of shotguns, and and a nice bolt action, but hardly any ammo on hand. Neither of the two brothers have any tactical gear. Comms are a brown paper bag of Talk-About 250's that are going on 10 years old or so.

They live in the era of cell phones, Wal mart, Big Screen TV's, Bass Pro and Buckeye Outdoor. If their car breaks down they make a cell phone call... If they are headed to the range they stop off at Wal mart first.

Don't get me wrong, we have kept active. We have more than 100 years of Paintball between all of us brothers. We work on small group tactics as best we can for a handful of middle aged fat guys with no military experience. Sound pathetic... Right?

So, for discussion sake... how do you think we would fair against the Monsters of Anarchy? Realistically, we would be slaughtered.

Me and my '02 Autococker, kicken ass at 40 years old.

Ok, this is lightyears out of my reach... where do I go to learn and then where do I go find the equipment? I am feeling good just figuring out how to program my personal ICOM F3061 fire fighter radio. Now I'm trying to figure out how to interface it with MSA Sordin MICH 75305's and a PTT.

HAM Radio, work towards your General license and while doing this start reading up on some of the scanner hobbyist websites and see what they're using, and their methodology behind their practices.

Disclaimer: this may not apply to you.

One thing that really, really, really pisses me off about all the Airsoft/Paintball guys, (especially the ones that were dumb enough to enlist and brought their mentality into an actual combat situation) is they think having the BrandNameHere gear, and looking like you fit the bill is all there is to it. You mention "Oh hey I have MSA Sordins and an ICOM radio! That's what the 'big boys' use so I'm badass right?" That, and the fact that paintball, while may work for some good training if you put it in the proper perspective, is a ****ing game, and people think of it as such. Most players are willing to take risks of getting hit for a few "kills" and this breeds the wrong kind of mindset for combat.

It's not about your gear, it's about your skill and the ability to make your gear work for you. I'll use my brother as an example...

He has had no formal training whatsoever. I got him set up with a nice KISS BCM m4 clone, and got him a plate carrier with some plates, a MICH.

Unfortunately due to my work schedule and his finances, we do not get the time to train properly, (not that I'm some kind of master educator) and when we DO make it out to the range, it turns into more of a plinking session, where his kit that I made him bring just turns into a rifle rest.

He's overconfident in his ability to perform in a real-life combat situation. His reflexive fire skill is completely noexistant, and he can barely wear the kit and jog 50m and back without breaking a sweat.

Having the equipment and having the ability to use it are two very distinct and separate things. Don't get caught in the "Geardo" mindset that so many civillians, military, and law enforcement fall for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsden11 View Post
    That seems like a great way to slow access to the living area or help in a layered type of security for off site preps. And not a bad price point either. Good find!
    Thanks guys. I wanted something beyond window film. I was specifically looking for a way to stop or slow access in large window/door openings in areas out of hearing distance from my bedroom. I'm sure these could be creatively hidden.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is a very good idea. Price is not too bad. I like the idea for the garage inside doors. I am not worried about the garage door itself, mine is solid wood and weighs a lot. I had to lift it up manually once and it took 2 people. It is solid.
    Price is nice. I may try one in a month when I get home. I also wouldn't mind exploring the use of them for my large garage doors, mainly for when I go on vacation.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Dave that's a great idea. The late Jeff Cooper had integrated steal gates incorporated into his home. Specifically the hall way leading to the bedrooms.

A gate that recessed into the wall and was secured at night. His goal was to slow raiders in a fatal funnel trying to breach the gate. Having viewed his photos of the gate, I see great potential for security.
    Outstanding. I actually didn't think of that. I like it.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I don't believe in prepping for family members who are too lazy or stupid to do so by themselves. Now if they at least show effort I will support them in every way and donate gear toward the cause but if they think they can live the "f*ck-it" life style then they shall reap what they have sowed when the SHTF.

This type of mind set reminds me of the entitlement folks who feel someone else is responsible to provide everything they need. There is going to be some rude awaking for many when a major country wide event occurs.
    Well, in my opinion, you can't make it on your own. We all need someone to help with chores, or to stand watch while we sleep. So you have to make a choice. Either, help or don't help. Because if they can get there, they will show-up on your door step looking for your help. I don't know about you, but I can't turn my brother away when people are dieing in the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    Nope, not pathetic at all. Good on you. You're the sort of guy I'd be happy to welcome...
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SMETNA View Post
    +1

I go only as far as getting relatives preparedness related gifts for Christmas and birthdays, sometimes to a puzzled look and a raised eyebrow.

Good thing I mostly don't care what other people think.
    That is awesome !!

Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    HAM Radio, work toward your General license and while doing this start reading up on some of the scanner hobbyist websites and see what they're using, and their methodology behind their practices.
    HAM Radio is a good way to increase my communications range, I get that. QuietShootr has eluded to this in other posts. The rig he has suggested costs about $1000 for the base unit before making the modifications. With the other things I want to get for prepping it is lower on my list, at least right now. I have spent a fair amount of time learning about the different bands, VHF & UHF and have acquired the software and cabling to program my (and my youngest brother's) personally owned fire fighter ICOM F-3061 radios. And these will be the basis for our comms during/post SHTF event where their use will not pose a legal issue. But I really want to figure out SIGINT and if your saying HAM Radio is the key... then I will look around a little harder in that direction.

Disclaimer: this may not apply to you.

One thing that really, really, really pisses me off about all the Airsoft/Paintball guys, (especially the ones that were dumb enough to enlist and brought their mentality into an actual combat situation) is they think having the "Enter-Brand-Name-Here" gear, and looking like you fit the bill is all there is to it. That, and the fact that Paintball, while may work for some good training if you put it in the proper perspective, is a ****ing game, and people think of it as such. Most players are willing to take risks of getting hit for a few "kills" and this breeds the wrong kind of mindset for combat.
    Ok, I mean no disrespect, but I have a few points I would like to present for thought.

Folks who enlist, Airsofters or not, are just regular people trying to be apart of something larger and more important than themselves. If they bring the wrong attitude to a comabt zone, then that is their own stupidity, or a failure of training, and when Natural Selection rears it's ugly head hopefully it doesn't affect others around them.

I am sure you would agree that just because someone plays Paintball or Airsoft doesn't make them stupid.

You mention "Oh hey I have MSA Sordins and an ICOM radio! That's what the 'big boys' use so I'm Bad Ass right?"

It's not about your gear, it's about your skill and the ability to make your gear work for you. I'll use my brother as an example...

He has had no formal training whatsoever. I got him set up with a nice KISS BCM M4 clone, and got him a plate carrier with some plates, [and] a MICH.

Unfortunately due to my work schedule and his finances, we do not get the time to train properly, (not that I'm some kind of master educator) and when we DO make it out to the range, it turns into more of a plinking session, where his kit that I made him bring just turns into a rifle rest.

He's overconfident in his ability to perform in a real-life combat situation. His reflexive fire skill is completely nonexistent, and he can barely wear the kit and jog 50m and back without breaking a sweat.

Having the equipment and having the ability to use it are two very distinct and separate things. Don't get caught in the "Geardo" mindset that so many civilians, military, and law enforcement fall for.

As for having the "Big Boy" toys... Don't most folks say "Buy Once, Cry Once", or what ever the current saying is? It only makes sense to buy a quality tool. Why buy a Rock River AR15 or a Bushmaster when you can get a Colt 6920 or a BCM AR15 for about the same price? Same for Comms... I have two ICOM F-3061 radios because of my involvement with the fire department. I carry one and my wife would have the other so she could listen to the radio traffic when I went on a run. My youngest brother is on the same fire department and he also spent the money to have his own radio. So why settle for a couple of 10 year old Talk-About 250's when you can use an ICOM? The MSA Sordin's were also a good buy. I wanted electronic hearing protection to replace my muffs and thought having the ability to link it to the ICOM would be a great tool in the event the S ever hit the fan.

I personally think your bother sounds like almost everyone I know, myself included. I don't have any money, and I'm sure I grossly over estimate my own abilities, and while I have to jog in the SCBA we use at the fire department, I'm a 40 year old "Volunteer" Fire Fighter, I can't get 50 yards before I'm sweating my ass off. I can't even imagine how silly I will look when I get my Paraclete MTV and start using it. Wearing it around the house and in the woods to try and get use to moving in it. What can ya' do? Do we give up, and go sit on the couch to watch Red Dawn one more time? (that was a Joke Folks ) We have to start some place, right? And a lot of us feel like we are on our own.

Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post

Stuff
    HAM radio does not have to be an expensive hobby...I honestly really have absolutely no interest in talking to 95% of the "HAM" community out there...my objective for obtaining the license was to learn how to effectively use the equipment to the level that I could train others in it's use in an emergency situation.

QS was probably suggesting the Yaesu 857, while being a great radio, is NOT what your new ham wants/needs to have.

I started with a handheld 2-meter "walkie-talkie" very similar to you and your brother's public-service band radios.

Most handheld scanners can be had at your local RadioShack for >$100 with a homemade antenna that will give you fantastic reception.

DHS grants have been forcing law enforcement agencies in my state and elsewhere to move to a different type of radio system which is very prohibitively expensive to listen to, ($450+ receivers....) so you may not hear everything you want to, depending on where your local agencies are in adopting this technology.

My comment with the sordins was to emphasize that yes, you can have the gear, but the gear does not make you some kind of special forces operative. Not saying you think that, I am just referring to the people I have known/had to deal with that buy stuff like that and think they're some kind of super-badass...just because they put it on/mounted it to their weapon. It's like a close family friend, just spent some stupid crazy ****ing money on a .338 LM with some 3k$ scope...and has absolutely no idea how to shoot even a .22 rifle.

Most people have far more money than brains, and far too few people have the ability to use what they have.

Bring your personal level of proficiency up, so you can take advantage of your weapons and gear.

Good luck, and understand this wasn't a personal attack on you whatsoever, just a generalized observation that partially responded to your post.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    These are the folding scissor gates I was speaking of in another thread but the one you pictured lacks the upper and lower glide track which prevents the gate from pulling away (Causing a space between) the inner door or window.

This gap can allow someone to clime over and in between the gate and door/window to gain entry.

Now if you keep the length short (Single door or window) there is not much of a bowing problem but most installers allow the length to be to long for easy opening which allows the gap to occur especially on larger windows or garage doors.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-31-12 at 19:42.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    HAM radio does not have to be an expensive hobby...I honestly really have absolutely no interest in talking to 95% of the "HAM" community out there...my objective for obtaining the license was to learn how to effectively use the equipment to the level that I could train others in it's use in an emergency situation.

QuietShootr was probably suggesting the Yaesu 857, while being a great radio, is NOT what your new ham wants/needs to have.

I started with a handheld 2-meter "walkie-talkie" very similar to you and your brother's public-service band radios.

Most handheld scanners can be had at your local Radio Shack for >$100 with a homemade antenna that will give you fantastic reception.

DHS grants have been forcing law enforcement agencies in my state and elsewhere to move to a different type of radio system which is very prohibitively expensive to listen to, ($450+ receivers....) so you may not hear everything you want to, depending on where your local agencies are in adopting this technology.
    I also don't care to chat with anyone via HAM. My main focus is to expand the range of my handhelds. I would like to figure out how to install a Repeater, but I am pretty sure that would be out of my price range. Not to mention slightly illegal with out a license. I wish there was a "For Dummies" manual for this stuff.

Ya, QuietShootr likes to pimp-out the YAESU - FT-857D. It looks like a great radio. I would love to own one.

Do you have the skinny on the DHS grants...? From what I understand the FCC came to the Fire Chiefs in our area and ask them to give up their Department's Freq in favor of a grant to build more towers that all use a single Freq for the entire country. Some in the Fire Service seem to be really butt hurt over the whole thing.

My comment with the sordins was to emphasize that yes, you can have the gear, but the gear does not make you some kind of special forces operative. Not saying you think that, I am just referring to the people I have known/had to deal with that buy stuff like that and think they're some kind of super-badass...just because they put it on/mounted it to their weapon. It's like a close family friend, just spent some stupid crazy ****ing money on a .338 LM with some 3k$ scope...and has absolutely no idea how to shoot even a .22 rifle.

Most people have far more money than brains, and far too few people have the ability to use what they have.

Bring your personal level of proficiency up, so you can take advantage of your weapons and gear.

Good luck, and understand this wasn't a personal attack on you whatsoever, just a generalized observation that partially responded to your post.
    Ya, I understood what you were getting at.
    Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast