Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Defense Strategy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post

So, for discussion sake...

Well, for me and my situation it is even tougher, because I am the driving force in my family for prepping. My brothers are on board but they don't have the sense of urgency that I do. For instance one of my brothers bought an off the shelf Rock River Arms AR15 and thinks he is ready to storm the beaches. I think he has four magazines, and maybe 100 rounds of Federal .223 ammo. No way of carrying extra mags, out side of dropping them into a jeans pocket. He honestly thinks he can buy what he needs when/as an event happens. He is a great guy, makes a bunch of money, but his focus is on other things. Another one of my brothers has a small arsenal of shotguns, and and a nice bolt action, but hardly any ammo on hand. Neither of the two brothers have any tactical gear. Comms are a brown paper bag of Talk-About 250's that are going on 10 years old or so.

They live in the era of cell phones, Wal mart, Big Screen TV's, Bass Pro and Buckeye Outdoor. If their car breaks down they make a cell phone call... If they are headed to the range they stop off at Wal mart first.

Don't get me wrong, we have kept active. We have more than 100 years of Paintball between all of us brothers. We work on small group tactics as best we can for a handful of middle aged fat guys with no military experience. Sound pathetic... Right?

So, for discussion sake... how do you think we would fair against the Monsters of Anarchy? Realistically, we would be slaughtered.

Me and my '02 Autococker, kicken ass at 40 years old.

Ok, this is lightyears out of my reach... where do I go to learn and then where do I go find the equipment? I am feeling good just figuring out how to program my personal ICOM F3061 fire fighter radio. Now I'm trying to figure out how to interface it with MSA Sordin MICH 75305's and a PTT.

Good luck with that. I got mine to work with my iPhone and my Vertex radios, but I had to do a lot of testing of wiring and components, since I couldn't find a spec sheet for the 75305s anywhere. Here's a hint: go ahead and lop that LEMO connector off the end of the cord. You will be un-****ing-able to find connectors to fit it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post

Good luck with that. I got mine to work with my iPhone and my Vertex radios, but I had to do a lot of testing of wiring and components, since I couldn't find a spec sheet for the 75305s anywhere. Here's a hint: go ahead and lop that LEMO connector off the end of the cord. You will be un-****ing-able to find connectors to fit it.
    TCI says they can help me... they even have the mistery 9 pin ICOM connector I need, but I'm not so sure. I guess we will see. It kinda sucks that my PTT cabling will cost more than my Radio...

Last edited by Wolf Spyder; 08-31-12 at 22:40.
    Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    So how important are coms in your defense plan?

I know we have become very dependent on coms in the field now days. We used to have a radio at the platoon level and that is it. Now everyone has one. We made it work back then. So what is your no radio or cell phone plan?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    So how important are coms in your defense plan?

I know we have become very dependent on coms in the field now days. We used to have a radio at the platoon level and that is it. Now everyone has one. We made it work back then. So what is your no radio or cell phone plan?
    See the comms thread =D

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    See the comms thread =D
    I am referring to defenses without coms. What is your plan?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I am referring to defenses without coms. What is your plan?
    Oh, that wasn't really clear from your post, (at least to me)

Fortunately for me my BOL is reachable on foot in less than two days if need be, or a 25min drive...most family members and significant others that have their heads on straight already know what they need to do, independent of the others so I don't see it initially being an issue.

I'm the comms "expert" (bitch) for the group so it's my responsibility for long distance comm and facilitating the local types. I am still learning but I feel comfortable at this point.

It's really unfortunately how much people take effective everyday communications systems for granted. It seems, (at least in my experience) everyone doesn't hesitate to buy firearms, doodads to stick on them, and all kinds of ammo and shit, but I can't get anyone to buy any ****ing food, medical supplies, or hand tools and comm gear.

Feedback Score
    That has been my experience as well. People love the cool part of "being prepared" so guns and good outdoor gear is an easy sell. Food and hand tools on the other hand are really hard to sell. If you dont have at least 3-months of food you have issues. If you dont own at least one toolbox full of common tools as well as a good hammer, crowbar, tow strap, and axe you have issues.

Of course I also agree on comms and first aid but if they cant see the wisdom in hand tool and food then things like first aid and comms are like me hoping that Kate Beckinsale comes knocking on my door.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was looking at survivalblog.com yesterday and found a great article on setting barbed wire defenses. Looks to be out of a army TM but it provided the basics of How To.

Two rolls of barbed wire is going to cost less then 100.00 and will provide a great deal of defense around ones house. If your short on defenders you need to Max your position.

Properly set wire obstacles can accomplish an awful lot in defending a position. A layered defense will give you time to respond, time to max fire power and time to unass the area god forbide you have to.

Barbed wire is a BIG part of our home defense plan. If we are in a situation we will string liberally starting at the house, IE windows doors, driveways then work outward making sure each layer is locked and best supports the inner layers.

Food for thought

DW

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    I was looking at survivalblog.com yesterday and found a great article on setting barbed wire defenses. Looks to be out of a army TM but it provided the basics of How To.

Two rolls of barbed wire is going to cost less then 100.00 and will provide a great deal of defense around ones house. If your short on defenders you need to Max your position.

Properly set wire obstacles can accomplish an awful lot in defending a position. A layered defense will give you time to respond, time to max fire power and time to unass the area god forbide you have to.

Barbed wire is a BIG part of our home defense plan. If we are in a situation we will string liberally starting at the house, IE windows doors, driveways then work outward making sure each layer is locked and best supports the inner layers.

Food for thought

DW
    You can get surplus concertina dirt-ass cheap if you look around.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Although I see your point. I need something that I can purchase locally and is abudent in supply lines.

This is cattle country, barbed wire can be purchased in at
    Least 20 different stores here. already have a decent supply on the shelve already.

Thanks.
    DW
    Last edited by Dirk Williams; 09-11-12 at 18:31.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast