Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Discussion: Defense Strategy

Feedback Score
    My group is in the same spot as a lot of you guy's groups are in. Each adult has a long gun of some form and a semi-auto handgun. Most of the long guns are AR15's. However, I am the only one who has load bearing gear and a stock pile of magazines. I am the only one who has medical gear. Several of us have camping gear, but I have wilderness survival gear as well. Several of us have vehicle recovery gear (tow gear) and automobile tools, but I am the only one with wood working hand tools. My youngest brother and I have our personally owned fire fighter radios, but no body else in our group has comms yet.

I am pushing for folks in my group to stock pile ammo and magazines. Find load bearing gear that fits and is serviceable. Find and learn to use camping gear and a good utility/bush/combat knife. I can teach them basic wilderness survival stuff like primitive fire and what not. As a group we need a lot more food and water... but I have plans for that.

It is a slow and some times difficult process to get them motivated. I can't do it on my own, and if something happens I can't turn them away when they get to my door. We will need each other.

Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    You can get surplus concertina dirt-ass cheap if you look around.
    Not anymore. A new policy came out stating that it must be cut up and sold as scrap steel. I'll see if I can't find the story

Edit: right thur:
    http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/08/...litarized.html
    Last edited by SMETNA; 09-12-12 at 03:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMETNA View Post
    Not anymore. A new policy came out stating that it must be cut up and sold as scrap steel. I'll see if I can't find the story

Edit: right thur:
    http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/08/...litarized.html
    See if you can piggyback onto someone's order for Chinese concertina. I have a bud who's a surplus dealer who got me 10 rolls for less than $20 each.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Watched a news story out of Philadelphia were a clothing store was continuously being burglarized by crooks who busted out the front store window to gain entry every time.

It appears she had her latest windows treated with a security film from viewing how the window held together except for the punched out hole but the bad guys using a sledge hammer defeated it in very short order.

Can't understand why she has not gone with grates but maybe this time she will learn.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Watched a news story out of Philadelphia were a clothing store was continuously being burglarized by crooks who busted out the front store window to gain entry every time.

It appears she had her latest windows treated with a security film from viewing how the window held together except for the punched out hole but the bad guys using a sledge hammer defeated it in very short order.

Can't understand why she has not gone with grates but maybe this time she will learn.

...or why she doesn't station somebody with a shotgun inside the store...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Wow.....sounds like you need some new friends....

I see what you are saying. The one thing that most people over look in preping is skill. I was talking to a friend last week about this and he brought up a very good point. Sometimes it is better to have skilled professionals with your group then extra supplies. There will be a barter system, there always is. Even if people are low on food they will trade it for medical care. See what I am saying? Something to think about.
    My small group had the opportunity to be joined by a physician's assistant with all kinds of emergency medical background AND she was a a former Marine with good rifle skills. Problem was her husband
    - a monumental douche. Point is, it is tough to find the right mix of attributes and keep the core group small.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FVC3 View Post
    My small group had the opportunity to be joined by a physician's assistant with all kinds of emergency medical background AND she was a a former Marine with good rifle skills. Problem was her husband
    - a monumental douche. Point is, it is tough to find the right mix of attributes and keep the core group small.
    Lol Agreed.

I have yet to see any groups that have 100% perfect compatability, including Mormons.

I'm by nature a quiet type socially. As I roll through life & see the chaos, deceptions, opinions from those NOT in the know, people's twisted perceptions of what life is about, priorities, how they act in public/mobs/groups reinforces & confirms my beliefs to stay quiet & observe even more in the Zoo. People in public generally, take way too much for granted imo.

I come here because it's THERAPY for me. This is pro-gun, pro-constitution (still I think & hope) pro-America site. Many things here that are on my mind cannot or would not be understood by most people.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post
    My group is in the same spot as a lot of you guy's groups are in. Each adult has a long gun of some form and a semi-auto handgun. Most of the long guns are AR15's....It is a slow and some times difficult process to get them motivated.
    Haha...that's great....My group is me. Not one person in my family sees the need to have more than the phone number for applebees stuck on the fridge. One of my brothers has a few firearms but probably less than 50 rounds of ammo. Why would you ever need more...I mean walmart will always be there right? If they are snowed in for 2 days they will be living on fingernails...haha.

People get out of control, and the sense of urgency of being prepared for whatever, can be all consuming...I get that. It's a good idea to guard against it too. The sad thing is that now any type of prepping...even the most innocuous, meager prepping is viewed as engaging in some sort of 1984, brave new world, animal farm, apocalypse conspiracy paranoia. So now many people, including my entire family, are not prepared for even the most minor inconvenience in life...simply because in their minds to have a few extra packages of macaroni and cheese means you are a paranoid mayan calendar nutjob.....really???...you can't buy a 10 pack of ramen noodles unless you believe aliens are going to destroy the earth soon? It is sad and largely this perception is the result of the media. Though I have not seen the "prepping" shows on tv, I have heard they do their best to make the "preppers" look crazy...now because of this twisted perception you are now a nutjob if you mention you bought a water filter.

My girlfriend worked in New Hampshire for a few months in the winter. The winters are so bad where she was that being snowed in and having no electric was the norm...so having extra provisions is simply a way of life for them...nothing strange about it.

I use to consider stocking extra provisions for my family...but I don't anymore. This is financially and logistically impossible. Ok so if I can draw a point from this rant I guess it would be this...after you have done your due diligence in trying to convince someone that an extra box of pasta might be beneficial and doesn't make you crazy, you're done. You are a free agent in this world and so are they.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728