Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Revolver Purchase Help

Feedback Score

First Revolver Purchase Help

I am looking to buy my first revolver. I have a G-19 that I use for home defense. This gun would more than likely be carried in the woods going to fish, in and out of checking on tree stands, hiking, etc. Critters I would encounter might include bobcats, coyotes, and possibly black bear (bears are not likely but not uncommon in this area).

There's also a chance that if I get my CCW it finds its way into that role some as well.

I am looking towards a .357 simply for the flexibility that it would offer me. My only hangup is on barrel length. I like the taurus line but it appears they only have 2in and 4in models (605 and 65). I'm a bit confused on which would suit me better. I don't have a huge budget so a lot of the Rugers and Smiths are too expensive.

Will mostly shoot .38s for practice. Weight is not too big of a deal. I don't want an anchor, but I want it to be heavy enough to handle a few cylinders of .357 without too much pain.

Any input on which might serve me better? 2in or 4in? I posted in another forum and the only responses I got were to buy older S&W's. While that is an option I'd rather get answers on 2in vs 4in and which you think would suit me better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    4in. will definitely suit your needs better. As far as what brand, I'd recommend a GP100. They can be found decently cheap, shoot accurately, and is built like a tank. The SP101 is also an excellent choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    4 inches would be plenty of barrel for what it sounds like you are wanting it for. A used Ruger GP100 would be a good choice, they are tanks and will take everything that you want to throw at it and has enough weight to make even full house .357 loads manageable and /38 wadcutters are exceptionally soft shooting, when I bought my dad one of his birthday the other year I think it was $525 or there abouts new, and that one was stainless steel with a six inch barrel which was a pain in the ass to find at the time, so you are looking around ~$400-450 used, might be able to find an older Ruger Security Six for cheap as well, have seen them going for under $300 from time to time.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Sounds to me like what you really want is this:

3" S&W Model 66-4. It's the perfect carry revolver. Just understand that "perfect" is expensive!

If carrying IWB, go with a 4" medium frame. Smith & Taurus both make a medium frame 6 shot DA revolver. Terminal ballistics and practical accuracy are much better, without being overly bulky or heavy. If you go with a 2", might as well get better concealability and get a 5 shot like the Ruger LCR or S&W J Frame. Just use ammo like Speer's excellent Gold Dot Short Barrel for best results.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Sounds to me like what you really want is this:

3" S&W Model 66-4. It's the perfect carry revolver. Just understand that "perfect" is expensive!

If carrying IWB, go with a 4" medium frame. Smith & Taurus both make a medium frame 6 shot DA revolver. Terminal ballistics and practical accuracy are much better, without being overly bulky or heavy. If you go with a 2", might as well get better concealability and get a 5 shot like the Ruger LCR or S&W J Frame. Just use ammo like Speer's excellent Gold Dot Short Barrel for best results.
    That is a beauty. I think I am leaning towards a 3in SP101 right now. It would be about the perfect balance of size and weight, and it would give me an extra inch of sight radius if I might jump something with teeth in the woods.

Thanks for all the help.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I am looking to buy my first revolver. I have a G-19 that I use for home defense. This gun would more than likely be carried in the woods going to fish, in and out of checking on tree stands, hiking, etc. Critters I would encounter might include bobcats, coyotes, and possibly black bear (bears are not likely but not uncommon in this area).

There's also a chance that if I get my CCW it finds its way into that role some as well.

I am looking towards a .357 simply for the flexibility that it would offer me. My only hangup is on barrel length. I like the taurus line but it appears they only have 2in and 4in models (605 and 65). I'm a bit confused on which would suit me better. I don't have a huge budget so a lot of the Rugers and Smiths are too expensive.

Will mostly shoot .38s for practice. Weight is not too big of a deal. I don't want an anchor, but I want it to be heavy enough to handle a few cylinders of .357 without too much pain.

Any input on which might serve me better? 2in or 4in? I posted in another forum and the only responses I got were to buy older S&W's. While that is an option I'd rather get answers on 2in vs 4in and which you think would suit me better.
    Since you already have a G19, have you considered a G20 for this role?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CQC.45 View Post
    Since you already have a G19, have you considered a G20 for this role?
    this is a good point...

the glock 10mm's are actually a pleasure to shoot.

couldn't go wrong with a ruger or smith revolver either...

Feedback Score
    Just my 2 cents...
    I would look at a 4inch 625 in .45acp, or either a sub 4inch smith 19 or 66 in .357. Then send it off to Superior Firearms for their revo package.
    "I can’t remember a mile in my life that was even mildly amusing"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by superr.stu View Post
    Just my 2 cents...
    I would look at a 4inch 625 in .45acp, or either a sub 4inch smith 19 or 66 in .357. Then send it off to Superior Firearms for their revo package.
    One my buddy has a S&W model 19 that was his grandad's. I love that gun. For me, I'm planning on buying a S&W 686P in 4". Some people prefer the 3", but I don't see a reason for the 2" or less. If I come accross a great deal, I might get the Ruger GP-100 or sp101.

I think a purely hunting/long range target probably beneft from the 6+" barrels, but not joe shooter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm of the opinion that 3" is the perfect barrel length for a woods-walking revolver. My own gun for this is a S&W 60-4, as for me the 20% increase in ammo capacity isn't worth the added size and weight of a K- or L-frame.

Smith did (does?) make the 60-15, which is the same gun in .357 magnum, but it comes with the internal lock, and while I do have a newer Model 63 with the IL, I don't buy lock-equipped guns that might be called upon to protect me or mine. The odds are extremely long that the lock might fail at a crucial time, but it's an unnecessary risk just the same.

That brings us to a 3" Model 65 or 66 (like the beautiful one pictured above), either of which would serve your purposes well.

The only downside is 3" guns seem to command a premium these days. Somebody must have leaked the secret that they hide almost as well as 2-inch guns yet shoot as well as 4-inchers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast