Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Leupold scope?

Feedback Score

Which Leupold scope?

Which leupold scope is best suited for long range, sniper/military use? I see alot of scopes mentioned here but not much about Leupold or Swarovski scopes. Aren't Leupolds used by our military snipers?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Alot of info is out there using the search button.

However for years the Mark 4 series has been a staple in MIL/LE use, Leupold generally offers more elevation adjustment than your typical commercial grade offerings from other manufactures, and they are usually more competitive in price point for the budget minded departments. The majority of LE use is 3.5-10x.
    IIRC the US Army was using a Leupold M3A fixed 10x, but i do not know if this is the current scope.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 08-07-12 at 21:51.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Alot of info is out there using the search button.

However for years the Mark 4 series has been a staple in MIL/LE use, Leupold generally offers more elevation adjustment than your typical commercial grade offerings from other manufactures, and they are usually more competitive in price point for the budget minded departments. The majority of LE use is 3.5-10x.
    IIRC the US Army was using a Leupold M3A fixed 10x, but i do not know if this is the current scope.
    Thanks for the help. I searched but maybe I didn't look well enogh. Most of the treads were dated and I figured that new products were to be had.

Feedback Score
    None.

Leupold has NOTHING that a different company doesn't have which is better, and at a better price.

This idea that if the military uses something, it has to be good... is propagated by people that were never in the military. Point in fact, its often the exact opposite.

Our troops kick ass and take names... so you don't hear them bitching about it outside of their inner circles.

So, you don't hear about leupold scopes in long range, because they are about 10 years behind the top manufacturers in the long range riflescope industry.

Leupold wouldn't even make my top-ten go-to scope manufacturers for long range applications.

In no particular order:

US Optics
    Premier
    S&B
    Vortex
    IOR
    Bushnell
    Hensoldt
    Steiner
    Kahles
    Nightforce

All manufacturers listed above have better products, at better price points than anything leupold offers. They aren't even in the running.

edit: BTW, the mark 4 is a pile of crap. Mushy clicks, no zero stop, mismatched reticle/turrets (on most), low magnification range... I could go on and on. The mark 6 and mark 8 have at least SOME features that you would look for in a long range scope... but they are still garbage compared to other scopes in their price point.
    Last edited by orkan; 08-07-12 at 22:04.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    EDIT: Thanks for the info Orkan, i havent stayed in the long range game as much as i used to and i guess the optics world has changed.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 08-07-12 at 22:30.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Leupold generally offers more elevation adjustment than your typical commercial grade offerings from other manufactures, and they are usually more competitive in price point for the budget minded departments. The majority of LE use is 3.5-10x.
    Over 5 years ago this was true. Now... none of it is.

Top ten manufacturers are like this:

Leupold is like this:
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    None.

Leupold has NOTHING that a different company doesn't have which is better, and at a better price.

This idea that if the military uses something, it has to be good... is propagated by people that were never in the military. Point in fact, its often the exact opposite.

Our troops kick ass and take names... so you don't hear them bitching about it outside of their inner circles.

So, you don't hear about leupold scopes in long range, because they are about 10 years behind the top manufacturers in the long range riflescope industry.

Leupold wouldn't even make my top-ten go-to scope manufacturers for long range applications.

In no particular order:

US Optics
    Premier
    S&B
    Vortex
    IOR
    Bushnell
    Hensoldt
    Steiner
    Kahles
    Nightforce

All manufacturers listed above have better products, at better price points than anything leupold offers. They aren't even in the running.

edit: BTW, the mark 4 is a pile of crap. Mushy clicks, no zero stop, mismatched reticle/turrets (on most), low magnification range... I could go on and on. The mark 6 and mark 8 have at least SOME features that you would look for in a long range scope... but they are still garbage compared to other scopes in their price point.
    I don't want to seem lazy but off the top of your head what would be the best scope to be had for around $1500 new? No way I could get a S&B scope for that, could I?

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    No, you couldn't. I'd look at Nightforce.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by highlighter View Post
    Which leupold scope is best suited for long range, sniper/military use? I see alot of scopes mentioned here but not much about Leupold or Swarovski scopes. Aren't Leupolds used by our military snipers?
    They're what get issued, not necessarily what get used. I have no idea why mismatched scopes (MIL/MOA) still exist, let alone get issued out.

I was somewhat pleasantly surprised when the XM2010's came in and had the Leupold 6.5-20's mounted. TMR, I thought. NOPE. Horus voodoo. No thanks. Mounted my NF F1 Zero Stop w/ MLR2 and didn't look back.
    Last edited by a0cake; 08-07-12 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by highlighter View Post
    I don't want to seem lazy but off the top of your head what would be the best scope to be had for around $1500 new? No way I could get a S&B scope for that, could I?
    There's no real point in paying 1500. If you can't afford a USO/nightforce... then stick with vortex.

4-16 or 6-24 Viper PST mil/mil/ffp or moa/moa/ffp Those will run between 750 and 950 new.

If you can move up to around $2200 and are patient, you can get a nightforce F1, but it lacks magnification for shots beyond 1000yds. At that distance and closer, it is a great option with the addition of high-speed turrets.

If you've got more money yet... then there are used scopes available from the top manufacturers.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast