Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Leupold scope?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Top ten manufacturers are like this:

Leupold is like this:
    Orkan, would you mind providing some details as to why you feel that way? What are the shortcomings that you've seen in Leupolds compared to other manufacturers? What do you think of some of Leupold's newer offerings like the MIL/MIL turret/reticle combos, new locking knobs, the 34mm tube models etc?

Feedback Score
    I'll get as specific as I can without addressing an exact scope.

The locking turrets are a good idea. I'll give them that. The mechanism in which they operate also seems well thought out, yet its just more shit that can/will break when subjected to mud/dirt/water/sand. The clicks are mushy and difficult to get to precise 10th mil under stress. The reticle/turret options are lackluster. They eyebox is unforgiving. The magnification ring is small and difficult to index unless you add a lever like a mgm switchview. The illumination controls on the newest high-mag ones are a step backward ala S&B style, so mounting options are limited.

... lastly, the optics. Leupold's glass is dogshit compared to the likes of USO, S&B, and Premier. I don't often mention this, because glass is a per-user-preference type of thing and it just starts bullshit arguments that don't matter. ... but at the price leupold is charging, the scope needs to be offering something that the others don't. I just don't see it.

Competition is healthy... but leupold hasn't been competitive for a decade. They were about 5 years late to the mil/mil/ffp market... and are now trying desperately to catch up. The desperation was evident on the faces and actions of the people manning their booth at SHOT this year. It was pathetic, really.

I could go on... but I'm lazy right now and the leupold fanboys will buy the shit anyway no matter what I say.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    What's wrong with this NF 5.5-22x56 NXS for around $1800?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by highlighter View Post
    What's wrong with this NF 5.5-22x56 NXS for around $1800?
    Well, it's SFP. IMO Second Focal Plane optics need to go the way of the Dodo for all but a few specific niches (IE when a super fine crosshair is needed at high magnification for BR).
    Last edited by a0cake; 08-08-12 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My buddy that was attached to a SF unit can go off for about an hour on why Leupold is overrated, lol. His take on it is that they've gotten lazy and rode their name for too long while other companies up'ed their games. They are quality scopes none the less, but picking up a NF or even a higher end Vortex is a good path as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Well, it's SFP. IMO Second Focal Plane optics need to go the way of the Dodo for all but a few specific niches (IE when a super fine crosshair is needed at high magnification for BR).
    OK you were speaking greek to me. Could you please explain?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OK you were speaking greek to me. Could you please explain?
    Haha sorry. Here's a link to Orkan's webpage which explains First Focal Plane vs. Second Focal Plane. If you have any questions after reading through this, let me know.

http://www.primalrights.com/forum/article.php?a=4789

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSauce View Post
    My buddy that was attached to a SF unit can go off for about an hour on why Leupold is overrated, lol. His take on it is that they've gotten lazy and rode their name for too long while other companies up'ed their games. They are quality scopes none the less, but picking up a NF or even a higher end Vortex is a good path as well.
    Up until now I had never heard of NF and the only Vortex was a cheap $130 red dot sight. Are these made in the U.S.? The Vortex I saw had "China" on it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Vortex is made in the Philippines and NF is made in Japan.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Up until now I had never heard of NF and the only Vortex was a cheap $130 red dot sight. Are these made in the U.S.? The Vortex I saw had "China" on it.
    The el cheapo vortex stuff is made in china, but for chinese stuff its not bad and is still covered by their unlimited lifetime warranty. The rest of the line is made in the Philippines along with half the optics industry it seems.
    I dont think you can beat the Vortex stuff for the price point. I just ordered a Viper PST FFP 4-16x and i cant wait for it to show up.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast