Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Israel's Tavor Rifle vs an AUG?

Feedback Score
    I want both, and can't afford either of them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halmbarte View Post
    Yes, but the Tavor bolt bears a family resemblance to the AK's bolt hybridized with a AUG or F2000 Stoner multi-lug type. I've also never seen the cam track built into the bolt on a autoloading rifle

OTOH, AK bolts don't generally shear their lugs off and the large lug has room for a wide extractor.

H
    That argument is ridiculous. Because the bolt bears some resemblance to an AK bolt, except with a different lug design, it's a fancy AK? Even though the rest of the gun is completely different?

Not to mention it bears almost no resemblance to an AK bolt, it looks much like an AR bolt:

Last edited by CaTalystX; 04-14-13 at 16:35.

Feedback Score
    Hey! The guy from MAC did a quick comparison, just what this thread asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txzz1OmmBzQ

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You could say all rifles that lock up with a rotating bolt with front locking lugs share a family history going back at least to Mauser.

Or you could say that the Stoner type multi-lug bolts a share a common ancestry from the Johnson auto-rifle, while AKs and the like are more like a M1 Garand. Both are correct, it's just what features you're trying to emphasize.

The Tavor's bolt is still more reminiscent of a AK in the design of the locking lugs and the stripping lug of the bolt. The external extractor design is more like a Stoner bolt.

Haven't seen any designs that put the locking/unlocking cam on the bolt instead of the bolt carrier before.

H

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    I didnt say we cornered it, but at this point the Israel vs Palestine fight is like a junior high lunch fight compared to what our guys have been doing the past ten years.

You apparently do not have a clue as to what you are talking about. No disrespect to our serviceman but this is comparing apples to oranges. Very different combat circumstances and tactics. This rifle (Tavor) was designed to be a CQB rifle out of the box with the ability to put accurate fire on a target at range as well. You really shouldn't dismiss the combat going on there DAILY as a junior high lunch fight that's pretty ignorant.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halmbarte View Post
    You could say all rifles that lock up with a rotating bolt with front locking lugs share a family history going back at least to Mauser.

Or you could say that the Stoner type multi-lug bolts a share a common ancestry from the Johnson auto-rifle, while AKs and the like are more like a M1 Garand. Both are correct, it's just what features you're trying to emphasize.

The Tavor's bolt is still more reminiscent of a AK in the design of the locking lugs and the stripping lug of the bolt. The external extractor design is more like a Stoner bolt.

Haven't seen any designs that put the locking/unlocking cam on the bolt instead of the bolt carrier before.

H
    The cam path on the bolt is quite unique. It seems like that cut for the cam path may concentrate stress less than a circular cutout for a cam pin. It would be interesting to discuss that design aspect with one of IWI's engineers.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    A Tavor is on my "wish" list.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    You apparently do not have a clue as to what you are talking about. No disrespect to our serviceman but this is comparing apples to oranges. Very different combat circumstances and tactics. This rifle (Tavor) was designed to be a CQB rifle out of the box with the ability to put accurate fire on a target at range as well. You really shouldn't dismiss the combat going on there DAILY as a junior high lunch fight that's pretty ignorant.
    I actually think he was pretty spot on.

Edit : Don't want to stir controversy.
    Last edited by BigNog; 04-15-13 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For those wanting a tavor.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/146489...ullpup-sar-new

Not sure what msrp is but price seems reasonable compared to $2k dpms

I would like one myself, but am waiting till I start shitting gold nuggets.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234