Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *Sigh* Noveske 10.5" questions...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

*Sigh* Noveske 10.5" questions...

Yes, Noveske built me a wonderful 12.5" gun. Just like they built me a wonderful 14.5" gun. Just like I am now interested in a wonderful 10.5' upper.

I had a few questions, though...

Does Noveske "Match" uppers and lowers? I know VLTOR makes their uppers, and "they" make their lowers, but do they hand-pick them or something? I figure the answer is "no", but I just wanted to seek clarification.

Also, I have heard that Noveske uppers with 10.5" barrels run great. Run just fine. Don't need any funky "blue spring" or "9mm buffer" or whatever. They run with Wolf. Run with 5.56. Run just as well as a 14.5" upper.

Is this everyone's experience, as well? I hear over and over that "A few years ago, the 10.5" got sorted out". Well...how? I mean, I would think that port-size would get "sorted out" before it ever came to market. It couldn't be that hard. What advancement did Noveske make over other companies, etc. that allows their 10.5's to run so well, or is it just that Noveske does it CORRECTLY and with less tolerance, so that they simply have less/no "out of spec" stuff choking on either end of the spectrum?

Also, how would a 10.5" upper "feel" compared to my 12.5" upper? Will it run "choppier" or "rougher", or will it feel identical with my eyes closed except for balance/weight distribution?

Also, yes, I know that my blast-baffle will hate me on my FA556-212, but it won't kill it ASAP, will it? I plan on running a flash-hider because I have shot a braked SBR before and I HATED IT!!! I have not shot one with a FH before. I suspect concussion is still a PITA, but is it one of those "It hurts like hell no-matter what, so get the brake", or is it "Yeah, the FH is a lot nicer, even though it's still a pain".

Now...my NFA question...

I download a form, fill in information, and mail it to the ATF. I do not need a response. I do not need permission. I tell THEM. Is that correct? What happens when I move? I am fuzzy on this whole AR with different length uppers in SBR category thing.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I also noted that all of the Noveske 10.5" rifles had the "Pig" on them. Is this required (or a suppressor) for completely reliable cycling using regular .223 or cheap ammo like Wolf, with the 10.5" barrel, or is it just the "Default" that they show it with because it's popular?

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    I've had a 10.5 for a couple of years now, no issues with any type of ammo, get it you won't be disappointed.

Don't need the pig, I've had a battle comp, and a KAC 3t no issues, besides being a little on the loud side.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The more knowledgeable folks will come along soon, but just my 2 cents (low speed civilian, sample size of 1)...

I have 10.5 Switchblock and it runs great, haven't had to play with springs or buffers. Not sure if you were looking at the Switchblock ones or not though. The "Pig" is not necessary imo, as it just redirects the blast forward (did a great job of preventing my teeth from shaking loose when I had a 7.5"). And your blast baffle will thank you if you use a brake.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by doriwoogie View Post
    The more knowledgeable folks will come along soon, but just my 2 cents (low speed civilian, sample size of 1)...

I have 10.5 Switchblock and it runs great, haven't had to play with springs or buffers. Not sure if you were looking at the Switchblock ones or not though. The "Pig" is not necessary imo, as it just redirects the blast forward (did a great job of preventing my teeth from shaking loose when I had a 7.5"). And your blast baffle will thank you if you use a brake.
    I talked at length with Garin Lee about the blast-baffle on 10.5" guns, and as long as I don't run it like I'm practicing my own little battle of Wanat, the suppressor should still provide good signature reduction for well past the normal barrel life of an M4. I have 2 FA556-212's, though. One for shooting, one for looking at.

I was indeed looking at a switch-block version. I would need the VIS/MUR to clear the Surefire suppressor properly, though, as the Noveske rail doesn't do so hot for the SF product because of the little nub on the top of the rail.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My 11.5" isn't THAT bad with a brake. Other shooters on the line have never made comment's either.

(only my 7mag with a brake has received the "holy crap" comments)

So if you're going to shoot suppressed, I'd opt for the brake and worry less about the blast baffle by going that route.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    My 11.5" isn't THAT bad with a brake. Other shooters on the line have never made comment's either.

(only my 7mag with a brake has received the "holy crap" comments)

So if you're going to shoot suppressed, I'd opt for the brake and worry less about the blast baffle by going that route.
    Does the brake function any at all inside the suppressor? Most braked rifles I have seen shot have a lot of barrel whip because of the brake. I guess it doesn't matter, but less is always better when it comes to violent motions with the barrel.

That being said, the Surefire held up OK during the Mk18 testing with SOCOM, so it can't be that big of an issue with the blast baffle, can it?
    Last edited by WS6; 08-09-12 at 02:49.

Feedback Score
    A few year ago you could buy matching stripped uppers and lowers from Noveske directly. I don't know of they still do that.

As for a 10.5" gun, I've seen and read about enough issues that when I built my shorty I went with the tried and true 11.5". There are 10.5" guns that run fine but I personally wouldn't trust myself or anyone other than Noveske, DD, or maybe one or two other companies to build one.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    A few year ago you could buy matching stripped uppers and lowers from Noveske directly. I don't know of they still do that.

As for a 10.5" gun, I've seen and read about enough issues that when I built my shorty I went with the tried and true 11.5". There are 10.5" guns that run fine but I personally wouldn't trust myself or anyone other than Noveske, DD, or maybe one or two other companies to build one.
    What is so tough about building one? You drill the gas port to the correct diameter and screw the parts together, so to speak, yes? Is it that only Noveske, DD, and a few others know how big to make the hole? Why is that? I guess I am asking...is the Noveske as reliable as their 12.5" setup like they claim, and if so, why aren't other 10.5" guns as reliable? The MK18 is reliable, no? It's a 10.3".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Yes, Noveske built me a wonderful 12.5" gun. Just like they built me a wonderful 14.5" gun. Just like I am now interested in a wonderful 10.5' upper.

I had a few questions, though...

Does Noveske "Match" uppers and lowers? I know VLTOR makes their uppers, and "they" make their lowers, but do they hand-pick them or something? I figure the answer is "no", but I just wanted to seek clarification.

Also, I have heard that Noveske uppers with 10.5" barrels run great. Run just fine. Don't need any funky "blue spring" or "9mm buffer" or whatever. They run with Wolf. Run with 5.56. Run just as well as a 14.5" upper.

Is this everyone's experience, as well? I hear over and over that "A few years ago, the 10.5" got sorted out". Well...how? I mean, I would think that port-size would get "sorted out" before it ever came to market. It couldn't be that hard. What advancement did Noveske make over other companies, etc. that allows their 10.5's to run so well, or is it just that Noveske does it CORRECTLY and with less tolerance, so that they simply have less/no "out of spec" stuff choking on either end of the spectrum?

Also, how would a 10.5" upper "feel" compared to my 12.5" upper? Will it run "choppier" or "rougher", or will it feel identical with my eyes closed except for balance/weight distribution?

Also, yes, I know that my blast-baffle will hate me on my FA556-212, but it won't kill it ASAP, will it? I plan on running a flash-hider because I have shot a braked SBR before and I HATED IT!!! I have not shot one with a FH before. I suspect concussion is still a PITA, but is it one of those "It hurts like hell no-matter what, so get the brake", or is it "Yeah, the FH is a lot nicer, even though it's still a pain".

Now...my NFA question...

I download a form, fill in information, and mail it to the ATF. I do not need a response. I do not need permission. I tell THEM. Is that correct? What happens when I move? I am fuzzy on this whole AR with different length uppers in SBR category thing.
    NO,
    You do need a response (Your tax stamp) before you can posses the upper/barrel for your SBR.
    Just like when you bought your suppressor you had to wait for the stamp before you could take it home.

There is a form to fill out and send to the ATF if your moving to another state.

You can have different length uppers for your registered lower, as long as you can transform it back to the specs listed on the forms.
    Some people think this means you need to keep a 10.5" (in your case) upper/barrel at all times.
    Others think you dont need to posses that original barrel length at all times.
    Last edited by saddlerocker; 08-09-12 at 10:41.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast