Thread: S&W MP15-22

Feedback Score

S&W MP15-22

Just a quick question about the S&W MP15-22. I already have a Colt LE6920 that I purchased a few months back and a DPMS Oracle upper that I traded some reloading for. The upper has been flawless in over 1500 rounds and has really helped me keep the round count low on the Colt upper at around 250 rounds. As stated both as very accurate and reliable. I have been thinking about a dedicated 22lr for some time now mainly to help keep ammo costs down and I have literally thousands of 22lr on hand. I was thinking of getting the MP15-22 for this but am wondering if I could use the DPMS upper on it which would give me two complete rifles. Is this possible? Would I need to change buffer and spring? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Last edited by OkieOutlaw; 08-10-12 at 11:22.
    "If there were more sane people with guns, there would soon be a lot fewer insane people with guns."

"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    No it won't work. The 15-22 is awesome though, definitely worth it. And why are you trying to keep the rounds low on the Colt? Those things are built to last. I don't even consider my weapons broken in until I've hit a thousand rounds with them.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    No particular reason for keeping the round count low on the Colt upper. Just rather wear out the cheapo DPMS rather than burn out the Colt on plinking and range shooting
    "If there were more sane people with guns, there would soon be a lot fewer insane people with guns."

"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Feedback Score
    It will not work, but after trying two different rim-fire uppers and seeing a few more I say that the 15-22 is very much worth it.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by currahee View Post
    It will not work, but after trying two different rim-fire uppers and seeing a few more I say that the 15-22 is very much worth it.
    agreed. My 15-22 is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Does anyone know if the actual fire control parts are interchangable? Say if someone wanted to throw in a geissle or something would it work?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    Does anyone know if the actual fire control parts are interchangable? Say if someone wanted to throw in a geissle or something would it work?
    I am actually not sure. Curious of this now as well. I have never thought about changing mine out. Now you have me thinking. I am in to see what someone who has tried to do this says.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I read on the Smith & Wesson forum the other day that aftermarket triggers will drop-in. RE is also mil-spec if anyone was wondering. I just made an even trade, my Ruger 10-22 Target model and a SKS for a M&P 15-22 MOE FDE today at LGS. Not sure when it will come in, but when it does there will be pics.
    Last edited by 7.62WildBill; 08-29-12 at 16:41.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    The M&P22 is a great little gun. Even if you purchase it solely for the purpose of plinking and entertainment. The more I shoot mine, the more I enjoy the heck out of it.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The trigger parts should be interchangeable, but you may need to use the original S&W trigger and hammer pins. The receivers are a bit wider on the 15-22 than a standard ar-15 IIRC.