Thread: Which 7.62 x 39 ammo is non corrosive?

Feedback Score

Which 7.62 x 39 ammo is non corrosive?

I hear the corrosive stuff is really bad on your barrel/bolt, etc. and there is a lot of 7.62 x 39 ammo out there. Which ones are non corrosive? If you want let us know which one's to stay away from, or are corrosive as well, I'd appreciate it,

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Most commercial 7.62x39mm including the Russian stuff (Wolf, Bear, Tula, Golden Tiger) is NON corrosive. Once in a couple years a corrosive batch slips through - I think the last one was possibly from Ukraine - and people get in an uproar. It's uncommon.

Some of the remaining surplus x39 is corrosive, but it's usually clearly advertised by the importer/distributor as such.

If you buy from some of the more reputable distributors like AIM, PSA, Widener's, or SGAmmo, you will probably be safe, unless they get fooled too. Some of them apparently test batches for corrosiveness in order to be sure - I think I saw Widener's mentioning that they did.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blasternank View Post
    I hear the corrosive stuff is really bad on your barrel/bolt, etc.
    Only if you don't clean or neutralize the salts in the gun after you shoot.

I know it isn't exactly what you asked, but it is important to know:

Corrosive ammo isn't the 12-foot-tall monster that many on the internet make it out to be. Prior to the 1950s, that's all that was available -- by the logic of a lot of 'common internet wisdom' regarding corrosive ammunition, not a single pre-Korean War firearm would still exist outside of an unrecognizable heap of rusting metal.

Some very simple clean-up after shooting corrosive will keep your firearm happy and safe for decades.