Thread: Multiple people shot near Texas A&M University

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Multiple people shot near Texas A&M University

From CNN:

http://us.cnn.com/2012/08/13/justice...html?hpt=hp_t2
    (CNN) -- Police took a man into custody Monday after "multiple people" were shot near Texas A&M University, a police official said.
    Several law enforcement officers were among the people shot, Rhonda Seaton of the College Station Police Department told CNN. She didn't have information on how many people were shot or their conditions.
    She said a person identified as the gunman was in custody. The shooting happened about one block from campus, Seaton said.
    The university had warned people to stay away from the intersection of Welborn Road and George Bush Drive as well as part of Fidelity Drive in College Station, Texas.
    From Reuters:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/0...87C0V720120813
    (Reuters) - Multiple people, including law enforcement officers, were shot on Monday when a gunman opened fire near Texas A&M University, police in College Station, Texas, said.

"We have multiple people who have been shot," police spokeswoman Rhonda Seaton told CNN, adding that law enforcement officers were among those.

Police had the shooting suspect in custody, according to the university's website. The extent of victims' injuries was not immediately clear.

The university issued a "code maroon" shortly after noon, warning students and employees that an "active shooter" was in the area west of campus and asking them to stay away.

The gunman fired shots from inside a home about two blocks from the campus, according to the university's alert.

"We have been told to stay put," said Keith Randall, a Texas A&M employee who was in his office. "They just asked us to stay where we are."
    Last edited by uwe1; 08-13-12 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Fox news reports:

One officer and one civilian male dead.
    Several other officers and civilians injured.

Perpetrator was in the process of being evicted and opened fire.

He was shot by police and is now in custody.

Thoughts and prayer with the victims and their families.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The hits just keep on comin'

Looks like gun ownership is going to get scrutinized like never before. Emotions in the anti-gun camp will be running higher than ever before.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Something I posted on another board

What's behind this and other shootings? Here are my thoughts:

Mentally disturbed individuals. At least part of the shooters were under the care of a psychiatrist or psychologist. For those under care, why didn't they take more action? Is it because of the stigma of mental illness? Was it because they held out hope? Hand in hand why didn't the families say something ahead of time? I know it is hard to get LEO and the court system involvement but an effort can be made.

It's economy stupid. To be honest I am surprised that we haven't seen an increase in the crime rate. We have people whose backs are up against the wall. Apparently in this case the guy was being served with a foreclosure / eviction notice.

Monkey See, Monkey Do. Various fads catch on with various segments of the population. Take the first two possible reasons above, add in the twisted desire to be seen / heard and you have a motive.

I will say that availability is not the cause. Look at these types of shootings. Go back as far as the VA Tech shooting. Then divide that number by the number of legal owners of firearms. As a percentage that number shows how minuscule those shootings are. I believe the American people know this. So we will see a few politicians propose a few bills but no one will really vote for it.

Having said that none of the politicians will vote for such a bill so long as we, the gun owning public, keep the pressure on them and make sure they know the consequence for voting for something like this.

In addition we have a duty as gun owners to put on our best face. We need to be educating the non shooting public as to the truth. We need to counter the rabid rantings of the antis wit cold hard logic while keeping our cool and remaining cordial. We need to show them as the emotionally driven, illogical, shrills they are. When folks talk about "common sense laws" and "compromise" keep this in mind. We compromised and compromised since the 60s and look at where it got us in 1994? We compromised by giving in and what did the antis every give us?
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Doesn't sound like this was the standard active nut shooter. Apparently they were attempting to deliver a notice of eviction.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dunno, I'm kinda glad doctors take at least a little time to evaluate situations.

I went to my General practice physician a couple of years ago complaining about chest pains and fatigue, trouble sleeping, lack of appetite and overall grumpiness, (which was the oddest of all the symptoms).

His first and only conclusion was that I was depressed. Honestly, I about laughed my way out of the office. Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm about as free and fun loving an individual as you will come by.

He wanted to recommend me to a psychiatrist for evaluation without having done any blood work or any tests, even after I'd asked him if he'd order a blood panel for me. He said it wasn't necessary. I promptly told him that I would like a second opinion.

I literally walked across the hall to a PA's office that we know and asked her if she'd order a blood screen for me. She did, which was nice as I have to get one every year for work anyways. A week later, she pointed out that I have a thyroid problem. Hmmm, imagine that.

That other quack wanted to send me to a psychiatrist. You can bet your bottom dollar that the multitude of guns and ammo I have at happy home would no longer be in my possession had I followed his advice or worse yet, if he'd taken it upon himself to "notify" someone.

Jumping to conclusions, weather it be a professional or not, only works in Office Space.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.