Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $100 dollar transfer fee??? Ugh...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hah! My FFL is a retired USMC Light Bird Col. who half the time waves the fee!
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    www.Ammo4guns.com
    Has you do the the transfer to them and charges
    $75 transfer plus sales tax.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I just don't know that I could look a customer in the face and say that too them
    Ah, but you missed the detail even though you told us exactly about it: you were still on the phone when the dealer said the transfer fee amount.

This leaves them the opening of using you to look like the dick, not them.

Guy says '$100 transfer' while on the phone, (I'll lay odds the words were 'its gonna run $100 for the transfer', then customer nodded his OK and the order over phone was then completed) customer infers its what was said to dealer over phone, or after hanging up dealer does some song and dance about those damned out of state guys overcharging.

Customer thinks he's a great guy, dealer gets to pass the blame (but not the buck) and there's a 99.999% chance you as an out of state dealer will never call the customer directly to tell him how he's being ripped off by his 'pal at the shop', nor will customer ever work out specifically what shop the dealer was talking to so odds of them ever calling you are about as slim.

How do I know?
    A relative used to **** people like that all the time when he had a gun shop.
    Last edited by GTifosi; 08-10-12 at 22:03. Reason: punktation

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTifosi View Post
    Ah, but you missed the detail even though you told us exactly about it: you were still on the phone when the dealer said the transfer fee amount.

This leaves them the opening of using you to look like the dick, not them.

Guy says '$100 transfer' while on the phone, (I'll lay odds the words were 'its gonna run $100 for the transfer', then customer nodded his OK and the order over phone was then completed) customer infers its what was said to dealer over phone, or after hanging up dealer does some song and dance about those damned out of state guys overcharging.

Customer thinks he's a great guy, dealer gets to pass the blame (but not the buck) and there's a 99.999% chance you as an out of state dealer will never call the customer directly to tell him how he's being ripped off by his 'pal at the shop', nor will customer ever work out specifically what shop the dealer was talking to so odds of them ever calling you are about as slim.

How do I know?
    A relative used to **** people like that all the time when he had a gun shop.

Luckily, the sale did not go through because the customer changed his mind on what he wanted.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    $40 transfer and $25 DROS in San Diego.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Karmic intervention, presuming you feel better about someone not getting screwed over than you feel bad about losing your potential profit.

I get the impression you're a good guy like that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Keep in mind the CA waiting period. Guns could stay at the shop up to 30 days (the amount of time the DROS is valid for) or more if the customer is lazy or leaves town or down right just forgets. Is $100 excessive? A little, but if customers are paying it to have their guns transferred there, then what's wrong with that? They have choices, and they chose to pay a slightly higher premium. Usually I find shops around here charge $65-75, and that includes the CA DROS fee of $25, so in reality they make about $40-$50 on that weapon.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTifosi View Post
    Karmic intervention, presuming you feel better about someone not getting screwed over than you feel bad about losing your potential profit.

I get the impression you're a good guy like that.
    Once I heard that and then heard the customer change his mind to something that was out of stock, I was actually thrilled (because, when I get contacted by the customer, I will make them shop around).

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    Keep in mind the CA waiting period. Guns could stay at the shop up to 30 days (the amount of time the DROS is valid for) or more if the customer is lazy or leaves town or down right just forgets. Is $100 excessive? A little, but if customers are paying it to have their guns transferred there, then what's wrong with that? They have choices, and they chose to pay a slightly higher premium. Usually I find shops around here charge $65-75, and that includes the CA DROS fee of $25, so in reality they make about $40-$50 on that weapon.
    In this case, the DROS fee was NOT included in that $100.

Sorry, but when a transfer fee is MORE than the actual profit on the gun, that is wrong IMHO.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The shop I deal with primarily charges $40 for most people but once he gets to know you and you've maybe bought at least one gun from him he does $25. I don't know if I've ever done two at once but I think he charges $10 for the second.

The most amazing I've ever encountered though is a guy who is at all our local gun shows. I don't think they have an actual store front; they just have an office for appointment only and then they do all the local shows. This guy probably has the best selection of anyone at the show; unfortunately he must be very proud of his guns and as such his mark up is insane.

Anyway, once I was talking to him and asked how much he charges for a transfer and was told "It depends on the gun." WTF? When I asked if could explain he basically told me that it depended on how much the gun normally costs because "He had to make sure he got his cut." I proceeded to get told about some half ass scale where a lower may be $25 and Glock may be $50 where as Colt AR might be $100 and something like a KAC AR might be $175
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast