Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: $100 dollar transfer fee??? Ugh...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For those of you who do transfers through a LGS.

Do you patronize the LGS for things other than your transfers? Do you buy an occasional magazine, bottle of lube, or other accessory there? Do you work to establish a relationship that he will appreciate and hence appreciate you?

While I don't necessarily agree with it, many LGS probably feel that you are taking business away from them with transfers, so want to "get theirs" anyway. If you allow them to "get theirs" by using the LGS for other items the LGS might feel better about doing transfers for a more reasonable price.

These sorts of relationships take a while to develop.

--
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My FFL is $25

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Do you patronize the LGS for things other than your transfers? Do you buy an occasional magazine, bottle of lube, or other accessory there? Do you work to establish a relationship that he will appreciate and hence appreciate you?

While I don't necessarily agree with it, many LGS probably feel that you are taking business away from them with transfers, so want to "get theirs" anyway. If you allow them to "get theirs" by using the LGS for other items the LGS might feel better about doing transfers for a more reasonable price.

--
    Not quite that easy in the CA stores.

Feedback Score

--

I, for one, do shop at the LGS for things. There are three that I do business with in town, I have bought at least one firearm from each of them. I have also purchased, optics, accessories, and gotten work done on my firearms from them.

Not one has ever had an issue doing a transfer for me. i will always seek to buy from the LGS first, if available. If they don't have it, but can order it, I will still buy it from them as long as the final price is in the same area as buying it elsewhere and doing a transfer. I am ok with American capitalism at work and helping these guys put food on the table.

There are several shops that simply price themselves out of competition and won't negotiate, though. One "big box" sporting goods store wanted $700 for the same item I later purchased down the street for $520. I just don't do business with them- though i do fondle fairly often, as they have the largest selection in town.

Anyway, on topic, I lived in CA for a while (and probably be sent back soon), and I am doing my damndest to make sure I own everything I could want now, before I get sent back there and have to deal with the BS that those dealers put out there.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    This discussion makes me so happy my dad has his FFL...

My LGS charged me $75 for a transfer on my first lower. They wanted $175 for their blem'd Bushmaster lowers, so my $60 lower was actually worth it, which pissed them off. When I saw what a reasonable transfer fee was, I was done paying for them from that store. The guy behind the counter was lecturing me about how dangerous kydex holsters, web gear, AR's are, etc.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I say to my LGS that they can get bent. They carry on the most part junk, price themselves out of competition, and are staffed by mostly idiots who think that the "judge" is the most awesome firearm to ever be made. I have done transfers through them, they bitch and grumble and find ways to make a simple transfer difficult due to them not being well versed in the nuances of the industry and configurations of certain items. A rifle lower is a rifle lower not a pistol lower, but they argue differently saying that you have to buy a whole rifle for it to be a rifle. Yep....idiots. So I just grin explain the rules and pay my 20 $ transfer and give them the finger. They want my business... then look, listen, and learn about the business you are in. Not all gun people are Fudds and impressed by shiny new trinkets.
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 08-11-12 at 20:29.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    So I get a call from a CA gun dealer. The customer was in the store as they called me. The customer wanted a BCM lower shipped to his dealer. Once I answered the dealers questions, I heard the dealer advise the customer that the transfer fee was going to be $100!!! Are you kidding me????? That is more profit than what I make on the gun!!!!

I think I am in the wrong business. Screw actually stocking firearms, I am going just do transfers.
    C4
    Grant,
    I recently bought a BCM lower from you. My local FFL (Gusslers in Santee, CA) charged me the following:

$25 DROS (Dealer Registration of Sale) This is fixed by CAL DOJ
    $40 Transfer Fee. This was certainly the lowest in the San Diego area.
    approx $35 Sales tax on purchase price. CAL DOJ mandates this.

I got out for about $100. This was the very best deal I could find. As a result, I strongly recommend Gusslers for transfers. His shop is run out of his home to keep expenses low. The process was painless.

One dealer I looked into had posted a transfer fee of $100 OR 10% of the sale price +tax+DROS

Some dealers seem to take it personal that you are not ordering from them in the first place.

In college I worked for a dealer for 3+ years. He certainly took it personal and charged out the whazoo for transfers. As a result, we did not do very many.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Anything over $50 is unjustified, and even that is too much. Should be $30 maximum.
    The Democrat in you is showing...

Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    If they can charge that and make money, more power to them.
    Exactly...

If they make $100 pure profit on a transfer, I would think they would rather just process the transfer.
    What is the FFL's time worth? In a retail scenario, pure profit is a financial fiction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Is this why CA gun owners always seem pissed off? C4
    I wish this was the only reason us Californian gun owners had to be pissed off over.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

--

I do buy accessories from the LGS, and they know me.

However, would not do that with a chincy LGS, and accept outrageous fees. A bottle of lube or a holster at MSRP doesn't mean I'll accept outrageous transfer fees.

Online sales are the future, and I pity the business who doesn't embrace it. We have such a huge online access to information it really benefits a BM store to put as much information out there as possible, and become a member of the online community.

My LGS has made me recommend a particular store for transfers quite a few times, and word of mouth is also a valuable tool. Especially if its word of mouth to actual experience and then again shared.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast