Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SR25 EMC vs SCAR 17S: Range Report

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SR25 EMC vs SCAR 17S: Range Report

Mods, not sure if this belongs here or precision rifle subforum, please move if necessary.

Ive seen a lot of people asking questions about the SCAR17 vs SR25/ OBR / LMT MWS/ name your AR 308 Platform, and I decided to do a side-by-side range comparison. For the range session I set up both guns as a 308 Recce type gun, as many people tend to run 16” 308s as such. I used the same NF 2.5-10x NXS w/ Mil Dot reticle, Harris bipod, and rear bag trying to put each on as even a footing as possible. Ammo used was 175 gr FGMM, marked as 7.62x51. I am assuming that this is basically a M118LR clone load. Normally I use hand loads in my 308s, but again I wanted to keep it even and show what is possible from factory ammo. I started out with the EMC, shooting 10 shot groups. All groups at 100m. The results were satisfactory in my opinion, showing that is more than capable of being used in the precision role.

[IMG]
    DSC00844 by philnovak, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    DSC00843 by philnovak, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    DSC00858 by philnovak, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    DSC00856 by philnovak, on Flickr[/IMG]

The flyer is the first round that I fired, cold bore.

I moved on to the SCAR17 pulling the NF and bipod off the SR25 and putting it on the SCAR. It took me a while to get it on paper, it started off way left. I was eventually able to get it there and produced this ten round group. This again I was satisfied with, and I believe that it illustrates that the SCAR is a viable option as a DMR / Recce gun. While the groups are not as good as the EMC I think that they could be shrunk with hand loads. The SCAR’s 1/12 twist rate also may not be the best match for the 175 SMK, I’ll try it again with some shorter / lighter rounds and see if there’s any improvement there.

[IMG]
    DSC00848 by philnovak, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    DSC00857 by philnovak, on Flickr[/IMG]

Major differences that I noticed:
    The recoil impulse on the guns is very different . to me the SR25 is better in this regard. While the SCAR’s recoil was lighter (ill get more into that later) it was a bit “snappier” than the SR25. The SR-25 is really a very smooth running gun.

A big reason that the SCAR has a lighter recoil is that PWS Brake on it. While it does do its job very well, it is LOUD. I felt the concussion in my teeth, and as I sit here and type this out I kind of have a headache from the crazy blast from the thing. It is a very noticeable difference when switching between the guns. In fact, when I put the NF back on the EMC at the end of the range session to rezero it, after the first round I actually did a double take and had to make sure that the gun did in fact fire and cycle – it felt like I put a suppressor on the thing it was so different. I ‘ll definitely have to replace that PWS Brake with an AAC Flash Hider.

Reliability so far has been great on both guns, with about 2.5K through each one. The SCAR has yet to malfunction, but the EMC did have its first stoppage today. It was a magazine problem with the 308 PMAGs. The FGMM 175 round has a really long OAL to where they just barely fit into the magazines. The meplat will actually be touching the front wall of the magazine when they’re sitting in there. As a result sometimes they will stick a bit, so when the bolt comes forward to pick up the next round, it nose dives the round into the front of the mag. It only happened once, but its noticeable when loading the mags that the rounds are a tight fit. They fit fine in the KAC metal mag as well as the SCAR mags.

Both triggers are stock; the SCAR’s being quite a bit heavier than the EMC. Before I bought the SCAR I heard how bad the trigger was, but in my experience it feels like a crisp single stage that is just very heavy. Mine has no creep, and the break is very crisp, just again, heavy. Still, I’m going to replace it with a Super SCAR as soon as I can actually find one. The stock KAC trigger is pretty good, however its not Geissele smooth and crisp. It has smooth first stage, but a little creep into the second before the break.

Cheek weld was a huge difference, and is one area where I think that the EMC is way better. The Magpul ACS I think is a great stock for a DMR / Reece type gun, mainly for its cheek weld. I find it to be extremely comfortable and I just feel at home on it. The SCAR has much less available real estate to plop your face on and it the first thing you notice going from the EMC to SCAR. However, the adjustable comb piece on the SCAR is good feature, and moving it to the up position provides a good sight picture with the NF optic.
    Weight is definitely a big thumbs up to the SCAR. Even with the NF and Bipod on it the SCAR is still lighter than the EMC. Usually I run the SCAR with just an Aimpoint T-1 and with that setup its about the same weight as a 556 AR.

At the end of the day, I think both rifles are extremely capable, accurate and reliable weapons. As a DMR / Reece gun I find the SR25 to be a fit better for me. It just seems to fit me like a glove, probably because of all the trigger time I have on the AR as opposed to the SCAR as well as my EMC being slightly more accurate than my SCAR. However, as a battle rifle, where accuracy isn’t as big of a concern, I think that the SCAR’s lightweight and reliability give it an edge, I will say that both rifles will do the job, but my experience is that for a DMR / Reece, go with and SR25 / OBR / etc. For a battle rifle, its really hard to beat the SCAR.

As a side note, I am interested to see how Colt’s SP901 shakes out as well….

If you guys have any other questions or would like me to try out anything in comparison, let me know.

[IMG]
    DSC00859 by philnovak, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    DSC00860 by philnovak, on Flickr[/IMG]

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is easily one of the most outstanding posts I've seen in some time, this thread has some seriously rich info in it!

ETA...now to share my opinion and one small nit pick.

From a reader's POV, the EMC destroyed the SCAR17 in your head to head trial above. Granted the EMC is significantly more expensive. I also wasn't surprised by your accuracy results which brings me to my nit pick. With this being truly an informative thread, I think it really could benefit from having the actual groups measured on a precision calculator. You held so many things constant, that on the rare occasion we can actually use the rather small differences in group measurements @ 100yds to illustrate how big of differences they become at 600yds, much less 800-1000yds. We're talking recce rifles here...imho distance is paramount.

Again great job
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 08-11-12 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice review. With my SCAR-17 the best groups I have gotten have been with 178 grain AMAX reloads. So its not the bullet weight. Its just not that accurate for a DMR type weapon. Mine is a 1.5 moa gun with match reloads and a 2.5 moa gun with ball.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Damn I love shooters who evaluate using 10rd/100yd groups...kudos!

HUGE difference in accuracy when actually calculated imho. This isn't to say that the SCAR is a slouch by any stretch, just that it's out of it's element as a precision oriented Recce type rifle imho.

SR25
    This first group of yours is some damn fine shooting...

SCAR17
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 08-11-12 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Thanks for the AAR.
    Results are pretty much what I expected.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is good stuff. Your Scar results are similar to mine with the same scope and ammo. I liked the gun, but it is not a precision weapon. I'm 16 weeks into my PredatAR wait, hopefully it will be good enough to keep me from spending the extra money on a SR25. We'll see...

Feedback Score
    ... I'm not sure that I'd say that the Mk. 17 is any more reliable than the SR-25 if it was a mag issue.

Good review though.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    First off, glad that people are finding this informative, i think sharing info and discussion like this all makes us better shooters

Big thank you to Trident for calculating the shot groups. I totally agree that it adds alot to the info, I now have the OnTarget program and will be using it in the future

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What's the weight difference between these two rifles?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    ... I'm not sure that I'd say that the Mk. 17 is any more reliable than the SR-25 if it was a mag issue.

Good review though.
    So, in your personal experience, they are equally reliable? I have a little over 5,000 through my SCAR H, and it's been completely reliable. I do not own an SR25, so I can't say how they compare. In my experience shooting an SR25 EMC, in the course of a very rough thousand rounds over a few months, I saw a handful of failures, presumably due to weaker ammo, but I can't say that for sure either.

Thanks for the review OP. I've always liked the SR25 and have been n the verge of buying one numerous times, especially after selling my REPR but then I remember.... I sold my REPR because the SCAR H was a better fit for MY needs. So, I can only assume the same will happen if I were to buy an SR25.

Oh, my SCAR H is about a 1.5 to 2 MOA rifle as well. But, for me, it's a great fit as I'm on my feet quite a bit and cover a lot of area when out with it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast