Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HD shotgun setup

Feedback Score
    Everybodys circumstances are different depending on kids or if you live alone, or from training or policy .

So you have to make your choice for yourself on what is the best condition to keep a HD shotgun for you.

I dont leave the chamber empty so I can scare someone with the racking of a shotgun. Most others with an empty chamber probably do it for safety reasons or they have been trained to do it that way.

I have to carry shotguns at work with an empty chamber and safety on. So I do the same thing at home to maintain consistency with training.

My kids are old enough and trained to use the shotgun if they need to, but I need to maintain my consistency with my training/policy.

Feedback Score
    I have seen people scared away by the sound of a racking 870. But I would never rely on it and no one else should either.

If you have to use it you better be prepared to go all the way if needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyRT View Post
    Flip the safety and shoot. Absolute fastest way to be ready because you never know just how little time you might have.
    +1

Benelli M4 ghost loaded #4 buck - daughter grown and out of the house so no kids to worry about.

Feedback Score
    Mossberg 590 on a wall lock, opened at night. Tube with 7, one in the chamber, stored (due to the lock) with the action open. Safety on. Elzetta flashlight in mount up front. If I need it, I get it off the wall lock, push the slide forward, and take off the safety. A pistol is in an open sage (at night only) by the bed if I need to get to something faster.

Feedback Score
    I have young kids present in the house. The liklihood that they flip the safety and pull the trigger is slim, but the liklihood that they rack a round, pull the safety and pull the trigger is even less. Therefore I store all of my firearms with an empty chamber.
    -Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; USCCA Certified Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
    www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'd prefer to rely on the buckshot doing the scaring, rather than the sound of pumping. Not directed to anybody here, but it's a ridiculous number of people that think that sound equals a guaranteed deterrent. I've had discussions with an individual that doesn't keep any rounds loaded or present because the sound is "all he needs".

Loaded and ready is the only option for me, although I can understand having an empty chamber with kids and so forth.

Feedback Score
    Tube full, one in the chamber, safety on. If I didn't live alone wouldn't keep one in the chamber.

870 with Mesa 4 round side saddle. Still torn on whether I should've gone with the 6 rounder instead of the 4. Seems the 6 rounder is more popular.

Tube and saddle all loaded with buck
    FUAC !!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    Everybodys circumstances are different depending on kids or if you live alone, or from training or policy .

So you have to make your choice for yourself on what is the best condition to keep a HD shotgun for you.

I dont leave the chamber empty so I can scare someone with the racking of a shotgun. Most others with an empty chamber probably do it for safety reasons or they have been trained to do it that way.

I have to carry shotguns at work with an empty chamber and safety on. So I do the same thing at home to maintain consistency with training.

My kids are old enough and trained to use the shotgun if they need to, but I need to maintain my consistency with my training/policy.
    +1 for the same reasons

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Because my shotguns are behind 5 AR's, an AK, and a PTR91 in the safe, they're loaded, but not chambered. If it comes down to THAT, I may be in more trouble than I bargained for...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post

This is my method and reasoning as well. I'd probably grab a pistol first because I carry one all the time anyway. If i need it, the shotgun is in the safe with a full 6 round tube, and SpeedFeed stock with 4 more rounds.

Every time I hear some say the chambering of a round on a shotgun is a deterrent, I want to punch puppies. Locks and "no trespassing" signs are deterrents. Hot lead is the reward for disregarding them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast