Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unicorn spotted....Afghan in the wild

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Unicorn spotted....Afghan in the wild

For the ultimate Recce fan like myself, seeing this particular rifle in the video was quite neat to see. Seeing the soldier dial dope in on the NXSc 2.5-10x24 mil/mil ZS, along with his dope chart taped on the RE assures me that not only is this a real deal Recce, but one that is being used exactly the way I believe it should....ringing a 16" out at long distances.

If this rifle isn't a real Recce/sniper-m4/Seal Recon Rifle/etc., than I certainly don't know what is. I'm biased though because my personal Recce mirrors the one in the video extremely close.

My personal Recce...

Video...having the video filmed by the actual shooter behind the Recce is the fat cherry on top

INTENSE SPECIAL FORCES FIREFIGHT WITH 2 JDAMS
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 08-14-12 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You sure that's a 16"? It looks to me like a block 2 m4 with a nightforce. Cool video.
    Last edited by parishioner; 08-14-12 at 08:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jman4427 View Post
    You sure that's a 16"? It looks to me like a block 2 m4 with a nightforce. Cool video.
    I think that's exactly what it is.

If you want a pic of a real recce as we have come to think of them, a Nightforce employee posted a pic of one on ar15.com.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yup it's a Block II M4A1 being used by MARSOC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I see the block II certainly in the rifle, however the NXSc 2.5-10x24, the LT724/T-1 secondary setup, and the bipod imho define that particular rifle a Recce.

After posting last night, I got to thinking that it very well might be a 14.5"......but it's not unthinkable to think that if a soldier procured the NXSc, and the secondary T-1 setup, that he also procured a different barrel.

*** I will change the thread title to reflect an Afghan sighting....will that be better

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have almost this exact setup but mine's a 16" BCM BFH and I have a x32 not the x24. It's surprisingly handy and excellent at all distances.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    but it's not unthinkable to think that if a soldier procured the NXSc, and the secondary T-1 setup, that he also procured a different barrel.
    Again, these guys are Marines, not soldiers. The NXSc is already in their TO&E due to the fact it is also used on the issued Mk12's. The T-1 and offset mount was most likely a personally owned optic.

Even in SOCOM units, individuals don't go and swap barrels on issued uppers. Although I've seen personally owned uppers in use on a few occasions.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    I have a x32 not the x24.
    I believe that's NFs stock offering on the 2.5-10 nowadays.
    Last edited by munch520; 08-14-12 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    I believe that's NFs stock offering on the 2.5-10 nowadays.
    Yes. AFAIK Nightforce discontinued the x24 for civilian purchase, although I believe they still make them for the military on a contractual basis.

They're pretty hard to come by these days, rarely on the used market. However, I don't think the x32 really gives up all that much. It's a little bigger, but that's the only con I can think of off the top of my head.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sounds like a sweet setup Johnny.

RE: x24s...I've been told by a NF rep that NF keeps X amt. of them on hand to fill the military contract stuff, but won't sell any of that stock to the civilian market.

It's tragic that they don't make this optic avail. anymore to the public...the x32 is such a more forgiving optic, yet I don't share near the affinity for my x32 as I do my x24. I'm not sure there will ever be another optic like the 2.5-10x24.

ETA...the x32 is a better optic than the x24 in every respect except for size and profile.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 08-15-12 at 00:06.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast