Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surefire helmet light

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

surefire helmet light

who uses one? how do you like it. are the buttons in a easy to reach location
    are there any other brands that compare for the price?
    what other lights do you use for a mich helmet

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    My experience has shown their mounting to be fragile, the buttons can be accidentally activated and I do not like how far they stick out (mounted on a 2001-cut helmet is different). With that said, I think Surefire has updated some of the issues I had with the models I used years ago. I have seen a newer battery cap that appeared to be more durable. The mounting of this light on the bottom edge of your standard 2000-cut helmet just places the light in a vulnerable location for abuse. You can no longer sit on your helmet when needed, for say a supported firing position, without first removing the light itself. I had my battery cap get sheared off when someone tripped on it while it was sitting on the ground. We were in a crowded room all resting on the floor. Most guys nowadays (including me) are using the Princeton Tec helmet light. It clips into the rails if you are using them and a much more positive switch. I have had no issues with accidental activation with the Princeton Tec lights. Downside to those are the battery replacements are not commonly found and must be planned for. However, the Princeton Tec lights have very good battery life.

Feedback Score
    I used em, and grew concerned about the whole ... "overt light that was easily actuated without your knowledge" in the proximity of my brain housing group.

Otherwise, great light.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    They're excellent utility lights, and good inside non-tactical vehicles, but tactical vics have plenty of great places to break the flimsy mounting hardware on, and out on patrol the easier switch activation convinced me to keep the battery cap in lockout mode at all times. They're good lights, but for the money I'd take a PTec MPLS and an S&S V-Lite over it, provided I had the available space.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys, I think if I can get one for a good price I will try one out... I have been looking at lights & I came across this, was wondering if anyone has tried this out

http://www.energizer.com/lighting-pr...-military.aspx

I cant tell if it mounts to arc rails or on the side of the helmet like the surefire

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have to second the comment about the mount being weak. Mine broke after about 3 months (used every day). Also the little "ears" that protect the switches broke off as well, causing the light to be inadvertently activated. But it was great for doing quick map checks, i always used the lower power setting. Also, the IR LED can get bumped on and when you dont notice it, the battery goes.

Feedback Score
    I have two, and am looking to make a switch. I paired the newer light (threaded battery cap/lockout) with the older and lower profile fixed mount. I like the output of the light (3-power, 2-mode, plus IR beacon). I do not like the user interface. Unless you are diligent with the battery cap lockout, you will AD the light at some point. My biggest complaint about the SF helmet light is with the durability of the mounting system. I have now cracked the helmet mount, and broken off the ends of the mounting rail on the light itself. The slightest bump now sends the light off the helmet, so it has to be dummy corded down.

I will be replacing it with Princeton Tec's MPLS if I can ever find the one I want in stock somewhere.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Trashed mine at Mountain Warfare School. It was the new style with the rotational mount. The mount sticks way too far off the helmet and it would catch the ropes I was coiling.

The wings that protect the switch broke off, and the mount fell apart. I sent it back to SF asking them for the old style mount. They replaced the whole thing and threw in both mounts. I haven't decided whether to keep it or not.

Feedback Score
    I had a couple I bought. Since I do EMS/Rescue work I thought they would fit on my helmet. Do that they are for the combat helmets I was not able to use them on mine.

But as a basic MOLLE clip is useful for the those light situations. But after I was not able to use them on my EDC for the medical use.

It is a good light and can run well if you know how to use the switches.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One of the CCTs I've been working with turned me on the the Princeton Tec MPLS. I've been running one over here in the sandbox for the last few months. Much better lighting system overall and it's about a quarter of the price of the surefire helmet light...so that's a plus.
    -tpdavis

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate and I picture us invading that world because they would never expect it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast