Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this flaking off inside my M&P 15?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    dry lube. don't scrub that area too much or you can take it all off in one go...
    Totally, although if I keep it lubed with what I typically use, I suppose there comes a time when it's not needed. This rifle has seen limited use and I have a feeling the dry lube JUST started flaking after this particular cleaning session while using TM Solution. The interesting thing is that I didn't notice any increase in gunk as I cleaned - almost as if the dry lube which did flake off disappeared without a trace. I had never seen dry lube applied from the factory like that before. It's certainly not in my other AR's.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaggy View Post
    Totally, although if I keep it lubed with what I typically use, I suppose there comes a time when it's not needed. This rifle has seen limited use and I have a feeling the dry lube JUST started flaking after this particular cleaning session while using TM Solution. The interesting thing is that I didn't notice any increase in gunk as I cleaned - almost as if the dry lube which did flake off disappeared without a trace. I had never seen dry lube applied from the factory like that before. It's certainly not in my other AR's.
    Most upper receivers will have a dry film lube applied on the inner surface.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    That's a high friction/high heat area where the BCG rides......

It is neither high heat nor high friction. High heat is several hundred degrees F. High friction is brake pads on a rotor. The AR upper is neither.

Feedback Score
    Nice looking rifle, whats the length of the barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    Nice looking rifle, whats the length of the barrel?
    It's 20" - here's a link to the rifle as stock from S&W. The green was only available from Cabelas: http://tinyurl.com/9dfzwd5

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    It's the dry lube. Same thing happened to my first Noveske. I called them and after they laid down the science it was all good. Totally normal just keep her wet.

Feedback Score
    My gun also did that with standard black anodizing. Its becoming more silver inside, but still slick so Im not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by og556 View Post
    ... just keep her wet.
    And this is just downright good advice.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-23-12 at 00:24.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Low friction coating, it will come off with any acetone based degreaser.

The low friction coating is stupid fragile. Why companies spray it in uppers when it would stand up to a cleaning solvent is beyond me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12