Thread: Microsight & BJones Sights for the AR in the real world?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Microsight & BJones Sights for the AR in the real world?

If this is the wrong forum please move to appropriate place. These sights are NOT considered "optics" amongst the Camp Perry crowd, but a RX corrective device just like one's glasses, so it didn't seem like it belongs in the optics forum.

I am trying to figure out how to keep shooting my irons (and so far RX glasses just are not cutting it. The Camp Perry crowd have evidently been using the BJones Sight for awhile and the newer Microsight has come onto the scene this year.

Anyone with first hand experience with these?

What they are.... a RX corrective lens (of your choosing) in a short hood in the rear aperture resembling a National Match Sight. The difference between the two "as far as I can tell" is the BJones is a "normal" corrective lens just like your glasses and the Microsight is a Fresnel-Type Lens that actually allows you to see in-focus at ALL distances. Links:

Microsights Info
    https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/ser...tory=DA_549448
    http://www.auburnscouts.com/stalling...microsight.htm
    http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...ht.html?page=1

BJones Sights Info
    http://www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html
    http://www.bjonessights.com/tac.html

I really love shooting with irons and am not ready to give them up completely
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 08-20-12 at 20:48.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    You'll have dificulty applying these to anything other than slow fire target shooting. The diameter of the apertures are way smaller than the smaller aperture on an A2 sight.

I have no idea is Bob's hoods/lenses can be used with a .072 aperture. they may only be good for smaller aps. The Microsight is definitely for smaller aps. The idea behind Bob's lenses is to pick a diopter that optimizes focusing distance for your eys and allows you to get the front sight and target in near simultaneous focus w/o causing undo eye strain. When used with smaller apertures they can be very effective. Just don't know how they would work with regular/duty sized apertures.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    jmart thanks....that is what I am trying to figure out. If it will work for dynamic shooting. Evidently some of the guys on benos are using the Bob Jones so hopefully I'll get more info on it. I do need a large aperture otherwise I get "the hairy eyed aperture"

I wonder how much light these lenses absorb also and how that effects their use as the "hairy eye" is a lack of light phenomenon from what the Camp Perry crowd has explained to me. I remember the first time it happened I spent atleast an hour trying to clean the damn hair fiber out of my aperture with chemicals, allen wrenches, grass, knives, etc. not knowing it was my eyes

M4Guru

Feedback Score
    The issue with "old eyes" (presbyopia) is that the lens in the eye that changes focus from near distance to infinity loses its flexibility. The ciliary muscles in the eye are no longer strong enough to pull it into the shape required to clearly see the front sight.

With young eyes, the eye can change focus so fast that the brain picks one image to get a sharp target, and another image to see a sharp front sight, and superimposes them. Old eyes can't do that.

The Bob Jones lens, which goes in the rear sight hood, adds just enough correction to allow the limited close focus ability that remains to give you enough of a front sight that you can still refine your aim without the target going too much out of focus.

The MicroSight has the unique ability to bend the light rays reflecting off of the front sight just enough that those light rays are bent to be in parallel with those reflecting from the target. This is due to the phenomenon known as diffraction, which is the property of light that bends as it passes by a sharp edge. The MicroSight has alternating opaque and transparent rings - the transparent rings let the light from infinity (for the human eye, anything beyond 25 feet or so) pass straight through, while the light from the front sight (maybe 30" or so away) which reaches the eye travelling at an angle and encountering the opaque rings, gets bent.

The MicroSight is very fussy to get adjusted - by bending the rear sight leaf so that the sight is PERFECTLY aligned with the eye - or it's kind of like looking through a kaleidoscope. Your cheek weld has to be perfect every time for this to work. OK for the formal target range. Not so much for the real world.

Neither system is really real-world practical. If you need one of these it's time to think about optics of some sort.

Feedback Score
    If you are concerned with shooting dynamically, why are you against using an optic? I mean, my eyes are perfect yet my times go way down when i utilize an aim point. Iron sights are now a niche item. They work great as a back up. I mean the battery life on my micro is 5 years, the batteries are small enough that you could probably store 6 of them in a pistol grip. Why not??
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Bob Jones sight, lens, and hood has a number of different apertures plus a blank one so you can drill your own (tiny to gihOOgic).

It would be a TERRIBLE choice for combat, especially if you are anywhere where it rains or gets muddy (it would be a bitch to clear off the lens).

The Bob Jones allows those of us with less than perfect pilot's vision, or with presbyopia to compensate to see either the front sight or target a little more clearly.

Feedback Score
    ok, im 24, slightly near-sighted(-1.50 perscription). Bear eyes = fuzzy target crisp post. Contacts= either crisp post/fuzzy target or crisp target/fuzzy post(I use the former for shooting). Is this not normal? this thread has me thinking somethings wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My eyes were better than 20/10 and focused faster than a sewing machine needle moved..... then I broke my back and the first meds they gave can create a rare eye disorder that causes those ciliary whatever muscles to stretch out and forever are unable to contract again this happened over a period of 2 weeks and my eyes went to s#!t.

I eventually used the Trij Reflex liked and then the Aimpoint and it was a game changer for me (for many reasons) Now I have this darn astigmatism and can use the Aimpoint by day but not by night. So, I am re-evaluating my options is all.

I will always prefer to shoot irons for enjoyment. I used them for so long that it is cathartic to use irons and so I am looking at options to keep the irons going and looking at the very expensive Leupy 1x6

This thread was to see if the RX irons was realistic for my needs in 3Gun. It ain't look'n good, but I might try the BJones or Microsight on a beater AR for enjoyment.

Thanks for the replies and first hand info!

M4Guru