Thread: Low-pro clamp on gas block?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Low-pro clamp on gas block?

Hey guys, I'm looking for another option for this problem.

I had a 11.5" 223 pistol that I didn't really like the length of or the lack of a stock (Im in Nazi occupied Illinois). But everything else was nice, including a 9" railed handguard. I felt it was too short to do anything real practical with, so I decided to make it into a rifle. I bought a YHM 14.5" w/ pinned FH for the existing upper and was looking around for a two piece clamp on gas block to fit under the rail, but no luck. I don't think one of the one piece clamp ons would fit over the FH, but maybe it does...?

The current idea is to get a two piece with the top and bottom rails and I'll just machine the rails down or off completely to get it to fit. I really don't want a shorter rail system, and I have access to machines so its no biggie to do that. Im sure one of you has run across this problem.

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    I guess you're not interested (or allowed) to make it into an SBR? I'm not a fan of the two-piece gas block I've seen; did your barrel come with the FH attached? What gas block did they have on it?

Have you considered removing the pinned FH and then pinning/welding a new one on after putting a normal gas block on?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not allowed to have cool stuff here, no SBRs, no suppressors, and no bottle rockets.

It didn't come with a gas block on it, and the pin job that YHM did is so neat and clean that I don't want to go screwing it up. You can barely tell its there, just a little discoloration on the underside of the FH.

I can see how a two piece wouldn't be very sturdy/secure, but I figure its going to be recessed into the handguard a little ways, so it shouldn't get banged around on anything. Or is that more of a 'keeping it tight' issue?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSpera View Post
    I had a 11.5" 223 pistol that I didn't really like the length of or the lack of a stock (Im in Nazi occupied Illinois). But everything else was nice, including a 9" railed handguard. I felt it was too short to do anything real practical with, so I decided to make it into a rifle. I bought a YHM 14.5" w/ pinned FH for the existing upper and was looking around for a two piece clamp on gas block to fit under the rail, but no luck.
    What specific rail are you trying to fit under?
    I'm sure you must have seen the YHM 2 piece gas block already right?
    It's bulky and will only fit under handguards with a 1.75" round inside diameter.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Its all YHM stuff on the upper.

But no, I hadn't seen that one, the Specter or whatever. The last time I looked on the yankee hill website it was down for maintenance and I never checked back. I was using google to look for gas blocks. So thank you very much