Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SWAT guy with MOE action.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Why not? The all black get up that SWAT teams wore for years (or dark navy blue) was intended for the shock factor in a hostage rescue mission. It was supposed to give a slight psychological advantage and give the operator an extra second (or fraction of a second) when the hostage taker/terrorist hesitated at the menacing sight.

Problem is that black silhouettes badly and makes you an easy target in just about any background. The same reason we paint our black rifles, applies to clothing/uniforms. Earth tones are better, and a disruptive pattern, especially one that works in more than one environment is a win. Most SWAT bubbas will be set up on a location for hours before they do an assault (if they get to do it). A barricaded shooter should not be able to easily look out the window and have nicely visible targets. Black gear/clothes may also contribute to heat casualties depending on the location.

Is some of the reason that the "high speed" military units wear Multicam? Of course. That will always play into it, whether it's uniforms, weapons, etc. In fact, I'd submit that the all black set up that teams wore for so long was attributable to the SAS assault on the Iranian embassy in London that was caught on film. But from a purely practical/safety standpoint, having a camo uniform that makes it harder to see/shoot the officer is a great idea IMHO.
    Agreed. I'm not SWAT in my agency, but I hang with a bunch of guys who are. You're spot-on.

Further, the MOE handguards are an order of magnitude tougher than the std handgaurds. I have trashed both and have shattered two sets of normal clamshell AR HG's. I have never put more than a scratch into the MOE's.

Further, if you have to drill into either...it takes about 4 times longer to drill through an MOE with a new drill bit than it does normal HG's (including the steel heat shield). The MOE's are as GTG as any non-railed HG....and tougher than the cheaper "value" rails. I won't knock the guy. I use 'em.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The majority of agencies don't have a full time dedicated SWAT/SRT team. Ours is comprised from members of various sections throughout the dept. with other primary duty assignments. In all likelihood some of those guys in the pic were off duty when the call came out and showed up wearing whatever with their SWAT kit in hand.

As for MC, why not?

It’s cooler in warmer states/climates than the traditional MNB (Mall Ninja Black).
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 08-24-12 at 21:37.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Anyone notice the paramedic wearing what looks like soft body armor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner505 View Post
    Anyone notice the paramedic wearing what looks like soft body armor?
    And a gun....hes probably the SWAT medic.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Some of our local guys wear them. Ive never asked because its never come up, but I assume that not everyone they throw in the meatwagon is willing or of sound mind and judgement.

Love my MOE handguards aswell. Im not running any laser designation, night vision or any other non-civi doodad. Just a scout mounted TLR1 and Im good.
    “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Khalil Gibran

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    And a gun....hes probably the SWAT medic.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    I think he was referring to the paramedic/EMT in the white soft armor.

Yes, some FD/EMT will wear body armor depending on the call and the area. I've even heard of some that are issued handcuffs.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I think he was referring to the paramedic/EMT in the white soft armor.

Yes, some FD/EMT will wear body armor depending on the call and the area. I've even heard of some that are issued handcuffs.
    That's the guy. Blue shirt, white vest.

The SWAT medic has MEDIC on his back...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234