Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SWAT guy with MOE action.

Feedback Score
    My first MOE handguard earned my repsect for how hard/solid it is when I drilled it to instal a IWC Mount-N-Slot. That shit is solid.

I question if attachments are as secure on a MOE as they are on a quad rail. Actually I don't question it. Quad rail all the way, assuming one has quality mounts.
    FUAC !!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns-up.50 View Post
    I never got that?? why do lots of swat guys wear multi-cam
    Why not? The all black get up that SWAT teams wore for years (or dark navy blue) was intended for the shock factor in a hostage rescue mission. It was supposed to give a slight psychological advantage and give the operator an extra second (or fraction of a second) when the hostage taker/terrorist hesitated at the menacing sight.

Problem is that black silhouettes badly and makes you an easy target in just about any background. The same reason we paint our black rifles, applies to clothing/uniforms. Earth tones are better, and a disruptive pattern, especially one that works in more than one environment is a win. Most SWAT bubbas will be set up on a location for hours before they do an assault (if they get to do it). A barricaded shooter should not be able to easily look out the window and have nicely visible targets. Black gear/clothes may also contribute to heat casualties depending on the location.

Is some of the reason that the "high speed" military units wear Multicam? Of course. That will always play into it, whether it's uniforms, weapons, etc. In fact, I'd submit that the all black set up that teams wore for so long was attributable to the SAS assault on the Iranian embassy in London that was caught on film. But from a purely practical/safety standpoint, having a camo uniform that makes it harder to see/shoot the officer is a great idea IMHO.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeLeafPayback View Post
    Setting aside the "fasion faux pas", I'd be more concerned about the direction of the muzzle.
    Safety fail.
    I think that is depth of field on the photo. He is forward of and back turned to the other line of guys but muzzle almost looks like it's stuck in that one guys back. I think it's just the photo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I think it's just the photo.
    I agree.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns-up.50 View Post
    I never got that?? why do lots of swat guys wear multi-cam
    I think alot of it is because it's the newest pattern and SOCOM and all wear so SWAT guys have to wear it. I remember seeing pics a few years ago when ACU first came out, and it was what everybody wanted.

What I don't understand is why does the guy in the center have a completely different uniform and the "gucci-ed" up helmet? Different department?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    What I don't understand is why does the guy in the center have a completely different uniform and the "gucci-ed" up helmet? Different department?
    Could be. It's also possible that they received a federal grant for gear and only bought XX number of brain-buckets for team members at that time. Officers who make the team after that may have to use older gear. The guy with the nicer helmet could have purchased his own. There are countless possibilities. Try as they might, I don't think I've ever seen a team that is 100% standardized.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The acronym means a lot less nowadays when Cooder County SWAT is rocking multicam and calling themselves "operators."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    Could be different agency. If a suspect believed to be in the house had an outstanding warrant, he may be a Marshal. Although when I've seen them they're usually in drab.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    The acronym means a lot less nowadays when Cooder County SWAT is rocking multicam and calling themselves "operators."
    Last edited by munch520; 08-24-12 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    Eh..we went with the ACU simply because there is a ton of it on the market, its comparatively inexpensive, and there will likely be a lot of it on the market for years to come.

As regarding the MOE hardware, I really don't see a problem with it for civilian LE use.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by tgace; 08-24-12 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    If this was in my neck of the woods Id say the guy in front was from a different agency from the other guys. Most teams in my area are pretty standard in uniforms, but who knows how the guys out West operate?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by tgace; 08-24-12 at 17:41.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast