Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stag Model 3

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm not sure about the post above since most members here are not salesmen, but end users....

Anyway OP, a Stag would not be my first choice, but since you already have it, there are a few things you can do to assure reliability. Accuracy should be on par with others it's reliably that is the big thing here. The link below will tell you what to look for and you can go from there.

Many years ago, I went through a number of less than stellar rifles. Once I learned what to look for, it was possible to keep them running well. The bad part was, not only did I spend as much for the rifle as I would a BCM or Colt (in today's standards. Back then BCM wasn't around and Colt's were actually more expensive) but I then had to dump more money into it to get it running properly.

For the past 6 years or so, I've decided to avoid the extra cost and work and just buy something a little better up front. Sometimes when we don't know better and there's a deal in front of us, we jump on it without researching it properly.

Read the link. Ask questions. Good luck. Next time ask first before buying. The price differences aren't what they used to be, so there's few times where buying a commercial grade rifle is a benefit considering the amount of money we spend on ammo, kit, fixes, etc.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 08-26-12 at 10:03.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    you get what you pay for.

In my experience, Stags tend to be over-gased.

Their feed ramps are shallow, and their gas key staking is sub par.

Hopefully you got one that was not built on a Monday.

Feedback Score
    You get more than you pay for.

Gas port the same size as Colt uses, so same gas. Over-gassed is a myth.

Their ramps are identical to Colt, rather than the non-spec deep cuts seen on some other brands. Their key staking is works great.

If you ever do have a problem, you have a lifetime warranty.

Enjoy your new rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dangertree View Post

If you ever do have a problem, you have a lifetime warranty.

Enjoy your new rifle.
    the over gassed thing may be more of a QC deal than a Spec sheet thing.

The warranty is a plus though. how are they as far as customer service goes? ever dealt with em?
    "A tit in hand is worth two in the window"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleReady View Post
    I wasn't expecting yo buy an AR, but got what I thought was a good deal. Paid $742 out the door from a local dealer. At that price I kinda figured I was not getting a LWRC or anything close. As a entry level rifle the Stag 3 get great reviews . I'm not going to run hard just a few hundred rounds a month.
    What is the cons of the model 3? What if anything should be changed to make the rifle completely mil-spec?
    Run it as hard as you want. Functionally, mil-spec would entail a 1/7 4150 CMV barrel as on the plus package. If you generally shoot 55 or 62, 1/9 is where you want to be anyway. The Stag Arms 1/9 measures out to about 1/8.25" twist by my tape measure. This may explain why I shoot 77SMK accurately.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Stag's are decent rifles, could you have done better for the money? Sure, but you could have also done much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by dangertree View Post
    You get more than you pay for.

The Stag i owned a couple years ago used a ar15 carrier and a standard carbine buffer compared to Colt's m16 carrier and H buffer. So the GP may be the same but with the lesser mass weight the stag would act overgassed.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 08-26-12 at 14:35.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Commercial grade rifles geared towards the occasional shooter like the Stag are often referred too as over gassed because they leave the factory set up with expectation most of the owners will shoot lower powered target ammo. Regardless of gas port size (Bushmaster claims spec as well but MANY measure out much larger), a bump to at least an H buffer might be a good idea.

My 1/7 rifles, which include BCM, Colt 6720, LMT 10.5" and both KAC SR15's all shoot 55gr m193 for 10 rounds at 100 yards with an Aimpoint and 3x or ACOG TA31 between 2 and 3.5 moa, depending on rifle and variances in ammo.

62gr can be very accurate in 1/7 twist rifles. On the other side, I've fired a lot of 77gr back in the day when I had 1/9 barrels. Worked fine. I don't know why anyone would "want" to be running a 1/9 if they shoot a 1/9 barrel. It'll be fine, but not better and that pretty much applies to 55gr as well. I'd rather loose the ability to shoot 45gr ammo by running a 1/7 than running a 1/9 and run the risk of giving up the ability to run the 70gr TSX.

It's length, not weight that affects stability. The 70gr TSX is longer than most 77gr bullets. 50gr and 70gr TSX is my choice for defensive use and hog/coyote hunting, so that may not apply to everyone. 75gr TAP 5.56 is my other choice for a defensive round, but at those distances, stability is not a major issue.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 08-26-12 at 14:35.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Cousin bought a Stag about 3 years ago, thinking it was top of the line. Obviously he has yet to grasp the full learning potential of the WorldWideWeb That said, he bought it as a plinker and has approx. 1000 rounds through it without a single hiccup, running .223 only as far as I know.

Certainly there are many here who know the real facts about quality and design, but if I had just bought a Stag model 3 as a plinker I'd shoot it till it died.
    Freedom isn't free! I thank every brave soldier who has paid some for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by totenkopf_u64 View Post
    the over gassed thing may be more of a QC deal than a Spec sheet thing.

The warranty is a plus though. how are they as far as customer service goes? ever dealt with em?
    I think the over gassed thing is a cultivated myth.

As this is the only place I see it being discussed, and it has been said to me, here, by an employee of another brand, I have to wonder...

I have never had to deal with them for warranty, but as they manufacture basically the entire rifle, warranty shouldn't be an issue.
    I like that its a lifetime warranty backed by a company with almost 40 years of M16 manufacturing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleReady View Post
    Just recently bought my first AR/M4. What's everyone's opinion on the Stag model 3?
    Plinker gun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast