Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stag Model 3

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Stag's are decent rifles, could you have done better for the money? Sure, but you could have also done much worse.

The Stag i owned a couple years ago used a ar15 carrier and a standard carbine buffer compared to Colt's m16 carrier and H buffer. So the GP may be the same but with the lesser mass weight the stag would act overgassed.
    Fair enough I guess. But having a lighter buffer doesn't make a barrel over gassed. If the gas port is the same size (mine are), then they are the same.

Changing the buffer does entail cost (more tungsten), but, an M16 carrier doesn't cost (or shouldn't cost) more than a AR15 carrier. Other than the sear trip removal, they are the same part. 1" less machining on the M16 version. The weight difference is truly negligible, vs say, the difference in weights between Carbine, H and H2 buffers, whose weight move in unison with the bolt as one reciprocating mass.

Buffers are $20 differences, not $100 differences, I guess.

ETA: I was not aware that high volume civilian shooters shoot more expensive ammunition than lower volume shooters. I wish I could afford to shoot high dollar ammo more often. If I'm putting holes in paper or hitting targets at 5-100m, as fast as possible, on my dime, I'm shooting whatever is cheap and works consistently. Right now I'm fighting the urge to not pick up a 1600 pack of Norinco 556NATO 55gn vs my normal American Eagle/Federal/ and yes, Remington 55 FMJ. I find myself hoarding 'the good stuff' and putting everything ELSE downrange. :LOL:

All the best.
    Last edited by dangertree; 08-26-12 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangertree View Post
    Fair enough I guess. But having a lighter buffer doesn't make a barrel over gassed. If the gas port is the same size (mine are), then they are the same.

Changing the buffer does entail cost (more tungsten), but, an M16 carrier doesn't cost (or shouldn't cost) more than a AR15 carrier. Other than the sear trip sq inch removal, they are the same part. 1" less machining on the M16 version. The weight difference (1 sq inch bar steel?) is truly negligible, vs say, the difference in weights between Carbine, H and H2 buffers, whose weight move in unison with the bolt as one reciprocating mass.

Buffers are $20 differences, not $100 differences, I guess.

All the best.
    What is the dollar amount on correct chamber dimensions?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    What is the dollar amount on correct chamber dimensions?
    Included.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangertree View Post

All the best.
    Right, but it does make the rifle over gassed. The problem is, moat people don't even know what this means. Again, the typical Stag buyer, from what I've seen, isn't buying it as a duty rifle or even advanced training, they're usually buying it for plinking now and then. That's fine with me.

I still don't see spending $1,000 on any Stag when you can buy a complete BCM or Colt for the same price, or within $75.

The big thing I always look at is what rifles are being used at quality training classes and how they perform. Without fail, Bushmaster, DPMS, Stag, Olympic, Model 1, etc., though not seen in numbers like those manufacturers producing rifles with the professional in mind, they have a higher percentage of failures.

And for me, that's what it comes down to. I have no doubt I could buy a Stag off the shelf, check a few things, change a thing or two with parts I own and get it to run fine. But why? Why would I not just buy a BCM first for the same price and have the reliability I had to work for with the Stag?

Again, most are not going to see any difference as they just don't shoot that much or their shooting takes place on a comfy bench somewhere while they slowly fire a few rounds down range to see how small they can get their groups. Again, that's cool with me. But, if you are defending life, your own, the public's or my country's, then I would think we'd want the best to start with.

If I remember correctly, they were using 4140 barrels and batch testing as well. These are things that are permanent unless you replace the carrier group and barrel.

Also, what bothers me the most, is they won't just make all their rifles the same. They basically have the "Professional package" and the standard "hobby package". This makes no sense to me.

In my experience, those that say certain things don't matter and one brand is "good enough" wither don't shoot enough or don't have anything to compare it to. I've yet to meet someone that trains hard and regulary that has owned both hobby and pro grade weapons and has stated that the hobby rifle was good enough. The only time I ever hear that is from those that own the hobby rifle they're defending and typically, though not always, are not high round count shooters, but more bench shooters. That's all good, just something I've noticed.

For me, the fact that I may need my weapon at work and home and thai train with them numerous times weekly, there is absolutely no reason in this world that I should skimp on quality in any way, just to save $100.... especially when I shoot up that difference 5 times over on a monthly basis.

Dangertree, I'm speaking in general here, not towards you directly. For all I know, you're very experienced mil and LE. Just wanted to make that clear since there all always exceptions to the rule. I'm also not in any way saying your personal experience is wrong. I'm looking at large numbers here. I know numerous guys that beat the hell out of Bushmasters that are still running strong with a couple small tweaks. But, in the big picture, I know of many more that are not as they fail more often than others. I know an experience with a few can always be far different than an experience with hundreds.

Also, I know Noveske uses CMT lower parts. I don't know if they're the same as Stag or not. I also know Stag may individually test parts now. I think testing argument is a bit much, but it's often mentioned. Just wanted to clear a few things up...
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 08-26-12 at 15:47.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleReady View Post
    I wasn't expecting yo buy an AR, but got what I thought was a good deal. Paid $742 out the door from a local dealer.
    For that price it isn't a bad deal.

As a entry level rifle the Stag 3 get great reviews . I'm not going to run hard just a few hundred rounds a month.
    For that purpose, it'll work fine.

What is the cons of the model 3? What if anything should be changed to make the rifle completely mil-spec?
    Besides everyone on here telling you how much you suck because you bought a rifle that sucks and should have asked on here first and suck because you didn't...there are no cons so to speak if you know up front what the limitations are. It's a 1/9 twist with a standard carbine buffer and AR15 bolt carrier.

The 1/9 won't reliably stabilize the heavy rounds (greater than 68 grain) most of the time. So you are stuck with 68 grain or less.

The chamber may or may not be 5.56. Getting a gunsmith to check the chamber via a gauge will solve this mystery. Until said time, you are limited to .223 ammo.

Carbine buffer will allow more felt recoil. AR15 bolt carrier isn't as heavy as the M16 bolt carrier and will allow for, again, more perceived felt recoil. However, being said it is an AR and the recoil is nothing to worry about so this is really a moot point. Change to an H buffer and call it a day.

There's your limitations. If the damn thing breaks in the first couple hundred rounds, send it back to Stag to fix.

What should you do to bring it to mil-spec? Frankly, nothing at first. Learn to shoot it, use it, find things you like/dislike and over time replace parts. Eventually you will find/learn what should be replace and or could be replaced. But the first thing you should do it shoot the darn thing and stop worrying about what others on here tell you about how much the rifle sucks and you got robbed. $750ish is not a bad price to pay for a lower level AR especially when Bushmaster, DPMS and others are selling at $1000 or greater and dealers can't keep them on the shelf. You did perfectly fine. Chances are you'll never shoot the barrel out of it or have a heavy enough firing schedule to break it coming straight out of the box. Otherwise, this post is what you need to look for:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.p...68&postcount=1

Do yourself a favor and don't get wrapped up in what other's think on here or tell you "you should have bought a BCM/Colt!" which happens to be the standard response when these threads come up. Before you end up spending $500+ more getting a mil-spec receiver extension and stock, Bravo Company BCG, and 4150 HP/MP barrel in 1/7 twist (along with the assorted costs of a gunsmith to replace said extension and barrel), go out, grab a bunch of ammo and shoot the thing. Figure out what works, what doesn't and read up on this site about what parts you can replace over the long run.

And in the end, you learn what can be replaced and even get a second rifle of a higher "tier" so to speak like said Colt or BCM. ARs are typically like rabbits, when you get one, somehow more end up appearing in your safe. And after the first "entry level" rifle you figure out what to look for in your second, third, etc.

At $742, you did fine.

But to reiterate one last time, go out and shoot the thing and stop worrying about what will bring it into "mil spec" before even putting one round downrange. You'll figure it out along the way.
    Last edited by Grand58742; 08-26-12 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    "Do yourself a favor and don't get wrapped up in what other's think on here or tell you..."

At $742, you did fine.
    You post does contain a lot of reasonable opinions, but

The OP asked for opinions, so obviously "Do yourself a favor and don't get wrapped up in what other's think on here..." is an opinion
    ...but not a very respectful or reasonable one.

Again, to the OP, although I don't think $742 is good deal, it is ultimately up to you to decide.
    Last edited by LostinKY; 08-26-12 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't remember telling anyone they sucked. I didn't know it was purchased for $750.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    I'm kinda glad I didn't pay $1,100 for a Colt or BCM. The money ($350) I saved can put in my Stag, IMO I'll have a lot nicer rifle then either of them are right of the shelf
    Thanks a lot, that link covered everything I was looking for.
    Last edited by BattleReady; 08-26-12 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm kinda glad I didn't pay $1,100 for a Colt or BCM. The money ($350) I saved can put in my Stag, IMO I'll have a lot nicer rifle then either of them are right of the shelf

NO NO NO!!!! Put the $350 in ammo and go shooting
    Freedom isn't free! I thank every brave soldier who has paid some for me.

Feedback Score

Buy ammo and shoot.

Throw a Geissele SSA-E in it when you have the dough.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast