Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Handgun Stopping Power" - article in the latest issue of American Rifleman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fortibus85 View Post
    I'm one of those readers who isn't aware of the good quality references available for handgun ammo used for defensive purposes. I read the article, could tell that it contradicted itself, but am not sure where to find a better reference. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm not wanting to do a science project, just get myself in the ballpark with some good choices to run through my 9mm and .45 at the range to be sure it works well with my Glocks.

I'm sure I will delve into it deeper as time allows, but right now I just need to get something better than the cheapest local range and target ammo.
    fortibus85,

As a start, I'd recommend these two books as fundamental reference sources:

Quantitative Ammunition Selection by Charles Schwartz

Bullet Penetration by Duncan MacPherson

There are others, of course, but these two are the best of the breed, IMHO.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 481; 09-05-12 at 11:01.

Feedback Score
    Pick up the good stuff from docs list here http://www.venturamunitions.com/bran...forcement.html and on sgammo.com i would not bother reading a book on it. Get what is good and tested and move on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. I've poked around some of the forums, but obviously not all of them since I haven't even scanned all the stickies!
    Husband, Father, Veteran, Citizen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Read the pertinent stickies on this site first!

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Here is a good vid I watched the other day,,good info & it covers it all kinda,,everything from 9mm to the 45 acp ! Paul puts it all together pretty good I think ! Sounds like buy quality ammo of "Any" Caliber and you should be Ok if you do your part !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dA36...e=results_main

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag360 View Post
    i would not bother reading a book on it.
    Yeah! 'Cuz learnin' stuff is a waste of time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 481 View Post
    Yeah! 'Cuz learnin' stuff is a waste of time.

I would NOT recommend McPherson's book to anyone just casually interested. That's way over the top.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
    I would NOT recommend McPherson's book to anyone just casually interested. That's way over the top.
    Are you kidding me? I give that book to all my nieces and nephews so we'll have fresh generation of terminal ballistics whiz.kids in a few years. I want their science projects to address the drag coefficients of high velocity fragmentation from high angle of attack rounds in gluteus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    Are you kidding me? I give that book to all my nieces and nephews so we'll have fresh generation of terminal ballistics whiz.kids in a few years. I want their science projects to address the drag coefficients of high velocity fragmentation from high angle of attack rounds in gluteus.
    If you expect more from people, you establish a greater standard and encourage their success- I hope they make you proud.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    You're very funny.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123