Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Handgun Stopping Power" - article in the latest issue of American Rifleman

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo and a few more of these "gun rags" have been total crap for years. Ive read the same damn articles over and over since 1975.
    I was gonna say the same thing, but you've been reading them longer than I have - my collection only goes back to 1985!

They can always be counted on for at LEAST one "Jello Junkie" article per year - maybe a bunch of us could scan our issues from the past, and make a thread about it - see if ANYTHING'S changed since 1975!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I swear War Wagon-
    I used to DIE waiting on G&A back then, when Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan,
    and Col. Jeff Cooper wrote for them. The revolver was still King, except for the Col. of course, but those guys were true SHOTTISTS.
    Many had indeed, seen the elephant. But as those guys died off, even before, they would run an article on the 1911 every damn issue.
    They would have whole articles on a gun, and leave out so much info as to be staggering. Im sorry, but 50-100 rounds thru a gun.."with only 2-3 ftf or fte's", and able to "keep my groups inside a coffe can lid at 25 yards" does NOT a good gun make. I just yesterday got a "special offer" to renew, I aint wasting my money.
    The only ones I still semi-enjoy reading are American Handgunner & Guns Magazine. But, they do the same shit over too. HOW MANY 1911 ARTICLES CAN BE WRITTEN?!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grytpype View Post
    I have a pdf copy if you're interested.
    Thanks. PM sent.

Feedback Score
    I couldn't understand the logic of discounting any load with a velocity below 1000fps. This disqualified all the most effective loads available in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Overall very unfocused article. His gel also seemed like it would have calibrated quite a bit deeper than standard, and without knowing what depth it calibrated, or if it was calibrated at all this whole thing is rather useless.
    Last edited by bernieb90; 08-28-12 at 02:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliakim View Post
    The article is disappointing to be sure, but they did list results for the .45 ACP 230gr HST load on page 55.
    Yeah, but it didn't have a velocity of 1000fps so it is no good.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like their approach to terminal ballistics research is very much in keeping with their approach to determining if a firearm deserves a positive review.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo and a few more of these "gun rags" have been total crap for years.
    ^
    This.

For years, the cutting edge is places like this, where people who AREN'T making money from the products in question share their opinions and experience.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bernieb90 View Post
    I couldn't understand the logic of discounting any load with a velocity below 1000fps.
    Neither could I.

Given the "quality" of the article, I suspect that the 1000 fps minimum is a "throw-back" to time when JHPs weren't expected to expand unless they were going at least 1000 fps.
    Last edited by 481; 09-04-12 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm one of those readers who isn't aware of the good quality references available for handgun ammo used for defensive purposes. I read the article, could tell that it contradicted itself, but am not sure where to find a better reference. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm not wanting to do a science project, just get myself in the ballpark with some good choices to run through my 9mm and .45 at the range to be sure it works well with my Glocks.

I'm sure I will delve into it deeper as time allows, but right now I just need to get something better than the cheapest local range and target ammo.
    Husband, Father, Veteran, Citizen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    fortibus85,

Start here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

This is DocGKR's sticky as regards tested and recommended ammo.

Best regards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast