Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of pLates.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The importance of pLates.

We've been buying sets of plates. Due to costs we have opted for AR 500 plates curved front, straight back plates.

1/4 inch plates weight around 15 pounds per set to include carriers.
    We been buying sets front/back for under 100.00 a set shipped. We Ted on this set up mostly due to cost and the ability to plate everybody were working with.

Anybody using these or have any wisdom regarding the steel plates. FYI we have a bunch of soft vests I kept all my bests over the years.

DW

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What plates are we talking about here?
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    PD armor front and back. We have one set of ceramic multi hit. I just find it bulky and not a whole lot lighter then the ar 500 steel plates we opted on.

Do you have plates in your kit.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    Are these bare steel plates? If so I'd be really concerned about spall.

Getting plates for $100 a set? Where are you getting them? Who made them? Are they independently NIJ-certified?

ETA: Importance, pretty low.
    Last edited by Redmanfms; 08-26-12 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Steel plates...even though economical they are simply not the best or even a better choice. If you get hit, 4 things can occur. 1. Round penetrates...you die. 2. Round deflects with no injury. 3. Round deflects with minor injury due to spalling....like arm injury. 4. Round deflects and you die do to spalling and strikes you in neck/face.

My opinion but 100.00 for plates....pass.
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 08-26-12 at 16:31.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Fleabay has some actual USGI SAPI level 4 plates for 350-500 depending on size. They can be a bit iffy, you really need to have someone x-ray them for cracks..but if you have the ability to do that, grab some.

Ceramic > Steel. And worth the additional cost if you're betting your life on them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We got the plates from a company named Targets to go, or Targets from us.

I was concerned at first. Now that I've arched about 100 YouTube ar500 plates being shots I'm ok with it. The way I see it is I'd rather have these then nothing.

We were just talking about applying a rubber coating on top of the steel to assist with spial? We have actually shot up our first p
    Ate with every gun in the inventory noting including the 338 LMT punched it.

Please look and let me know what you think.

As for independent testing the company says yes level III confirmed.

DW

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    We got the plates from a company named Targets to go, or Targets from us.

I was concerned at first. Now that I've arched about 100 YouTube ar500 plates being shots I'm ok with it. The way I see it is I'd rather have these then nothing.

We were just talking about applying a rubber coating on top of the steel to assist with spial? We have actually shot up our first p
    Ate with every gun in the inventory noting including the 338 LMT punched it.

Please look and let me know what you think.

As for independent testing the company says yes level III confirmed.

DW

At those velocities I dont think that'd help much with spalling..

Usually they use kevlar backing with a resin fixer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know I'm cutting corners. Guys I'm trying to save and purchase a flir from TNVC before thanksgiving.

Like I said we have personally shot one up for. 50 and 100 feet. My 338lm with 250 Sierra s didn't punch it. It did rock it and the trauma alone would have scrambled your guts.

DW

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My money is on just saving up and getting quality.

I'm pretty sure my ceramic l4 plates weigh in at about 8.5lbs each, instead of almost twice that in steel. You're going to run into the issue that when you should be wearing the vest, the wearer will justify taking it off by whatever reason they want just because they're simply too heavy.

They may have passed your brief ballistics test with flying colors, but I would still not trust my life to it, NIJ rating nonwithstanding.

My advice: Ditch the steel plates, save up for some ceramic ones.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast