Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The importance of pLates.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    Why the hell are you asking on an internet gun forum for some hairbrained whacktard to speculate rather than asking the people that make the damn thing?
    Because before all the whacktards ran off SME's, you could get an opinion based on something other than speculation around here.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Can anyone tell me more about THIS SPECIFIC PLATE?

Is it going to degrade or de-laminate over time?
    Is it "multi-hit" (how many times, with what?)
    I can't find any info online.
    Regardless, I just bought 2, so I hope they are as good as I hear.
    http://www.velsyst.com/documents/PDF_VS_PSA4_1012.pdf
    I had one and am not fond of the cut. The shooters cut is nice, but the plate is curved along the vertical axis causing it not to hug the top of my sternum.

The Velocity Systems Level 3/ICW4 is more of a tri-curve design, and is more comfortable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    I know I'm cutting corners. Guys I'm trying to save and purchase a flir from TNVC before thanksgiving.

Like I said we have personally shot one up for. 50 and 100 feet. My 338lm with 250 Sierra s didn't punch it. It did rock it and the trauma alone would have scrambled your guts.

DW
    Dirk, I feel you man. I got coated/anti-spall steel plates for several members of my family from Target-man and they were cheap. http://www.thetargetman.com/product/...ag-protection/
    my thoughts were "anything is better than nothing" and a wink is as good as a nod in the right circumstances.

they're also heavy but I don't know how much heavier than expensive ceramic ones. I offset this by not loading down the plate carrier with all kinds of crap. I use these as training plates where the increased weight can be considered a good thing and they are sturdy as hell so I don't worry about babying them like I might ceramic.

at some point in the future (c'mon Powerball!) I will probably upgrade to lightweight plates but at the moment I have other things in front of me...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Can anyone tell me more about THIS SPECIFIC PLATE?

Is it going to degrade or de-laminate over time?
    Is it "multi-hit" (how many times, with what?)
    I can't find any info online.
    Regardless, I just bought 2, so I hope they are as good as I hear.
    http://www.velsyst.com/documents/PDF_VS_PSA4_1012.pdf
    I have no experience with that particular plate, but since it is a Level IV plate it will meet the requirement of 1 round of .30cal AP. Usually high quality Level IV ceramic plates can soak up a lot of abuse from lesser threats as well. Multiple hits from 7.62 and 5.56.

I seriously doubt there will be any delamination or degradation over time. If anything the cloth cover may loosen up and come off after a lot of hard use.

If you really want to know about it's abilities, contact Velocity Systems. They have been pretty good about responding each time I have contacted them for specifics on their products. If they have actual test results, I'm sure they will share.

Feedback Score
    I will be focusing on 338 lapua rifles. After reading about plates.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789