Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of pLates.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Talk about good karma. I had put out some feelers for the good armor last night. And was going to go to the secret slush fund to fund the project.

At 2100 last night I got a call from a friend. He wanted to purchase one of my vintage motocross bikes. SOLD. Will I be able to get at least one good set for 1500.00.

Even better if I could get two sets of hybrids for that. WhOs got the best deals out there and how do I confirm the integrity of these plates.

Thank you in advance.

DW

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Regarding reviewing Docs plate review I've been consulting the chart prior to my first ar500 purchase.

My only real concern had been AP rounds.

Thanks again
    DW

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Talk about good karma. I had put out some feelers for the good armor last night. And was going to go to the secret slush fund to fund the project.

At 2100 last night I got a call from a friend. He wanted to purchase one of my vintage motocross bikes. SOLD. Will I be able to get at least one good set for 1500.00.

Even better if I could get two sets of hybrids for that. WhOs got the best deals out there and how do I confirm the integrity of these plates.

Thank you in advance.

DW
    Great to hear Dirk.

http://bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_...ST.shtml#Rifle

These guys have some good stuff for good prices. I have not personally ordered anything from them but I have a few friends that have and say the customer service is fantastic as well. Don't think you could go wrong with them.

I purchased my Ceradyne level 4 plates on ebay, because i was able to get a friend to x-ray them for cracks. Otherwise I would not reccomend purchasing them secondhand.

Feedback Score

Thank you in advance.

DW
    The Doc recommends AMI TAC3S Dyneema/steel hybrid plates for inside CONUS use. They run $568/plate according to AMI's website.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32839

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Give some consideration to BAE Eclipse & Velocity Systems multi hit 7.62 plates as well.
    Swimmers cut.

Feedback Score
    anyone have any dealing or knowledge on the US Palm carrier and plates? They are lvl 4 hybrid ceramic/steel

I dont know much about them but for this price point for 2 hybrid plates and carrier seem very reasonably for travel in a car and inside your bug in loc. I do understand the weight issue for young kids and having to travel on foot if required.

https://www.uspalm.com/products/armo...e-carrier.html
    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"

-Samuel Adams, 1776

Feedback Score
    Gunbroker.com always has some milspec plates available in various sizes.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Regarding reviewing Docs plate review I've been consulting the chart prior to my first ar500 purchase.

My only real concern had been AP rounds.

Thanks again
    DW
    Why so concerned about AP rounds? If I am not mistaken the Level IV AP requirement is intended for OCONUS 7.62 AP threats. It is very unlikely you would encounter any sort of AP threat in CONUS. Probably the hardest to stop and commonly encountered rifle threats are going to be M193 and M855.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    Gunbroker.com always has some milspec plates available in various sizes.
    Again you should be cautious, as these are used possibly damaged plates akin to the ebay options.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well normally I would not be worried about AP. unfortunately a few weeks back we replaced our steel targets at our friends ranch.

We are not the only folks who shoot there. Anyway a group found some of our hanging plates and shot the shit out of it, doing emense damage to several plates.

Upon discovering the trashed plates we did a bit of an investigation to try and determine what or who trashed our steel. There was no indication of a vehicle rolling into the valley so we took a walk and discovered that someone had shot the first set of targets from about 260 yards away on a large hill.

Found 308 and 3006 casings on the ground in two areas the amount of casings were consistent with the number of holes punched in the plates.

308 nor 3006 ammo at that distance won't generally punch 1/2 inch hardened steel.

We came to a semi logical conclusion that the weapons used were firing AP rounds.

Thats the problem, we have never seen anybody else in this part of the ranch. Much less shooters.

It has become crystal clear that someone or someone's are a ware of our location and have enough intel to know exactly where our long range targets are.

These folks are in possession of AP ammo. The spread of the casings is consistent with a semi auto assault type rifles

Bottom line is one of our hiddy holes is compromised by somebody out there possibly doing what we are doing.

Time to move on, which is ashame we've beenin this area a few years now with our plans for a rally point Bol here.

Soooooo I feel like a set of anti AP plates is a reasonable addition to our gear.

DW

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast