Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trauma Training

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Trauma Training

With all this gun play I seem to be involved in lately, one of my greatest fears is being near someone who was just shot and not having the skills this take care of the person. Lord knows I have the gear.

Can anyone suggest a medical training program designed for dealing with traumatic injuries? Something that would teach one how to really use their blow out kits? The example would be securing a gunshot wounded subject long enough to hand off to more qualified persons.

I don't have $2k for some special operations class held in the high mountains, I'm looking for something designed for civilians in a typical urban setting.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    You don't need to spend $2K, and you don't need any spec ops class. Call the Red Cross, the local volunteer fire department/rescue squad, or community college...see if you can get a basic first aid, first responder, or basic EMT class. The price will ne negligible and you will get a foundation of the fundamentals. Also, look up National Association of EMTs...the have a course called trauma first responder, and you can see if they have on in your area.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    You don't need to spend $2K, and you don't need any spec ops class. Call the Red Cross, the local volunteer fire department/rescue squad, or community college...see if you can get a basic first aid, first responder, or basic EMT class. The price will ne negligible and you will get a foundation of the fundamentals. Also, look up National Association of EMTs...the have a course called trauma first responder, and you can see if they have on in your area.
    This is great intel. Are these classes expensive? Of course that's relative. I guess I should ask if you have any experience with any one particular group that offers these classes and can recommend the most cost effective.

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    After that, find a good TCCC- Tactical Combat Casualty Care course. Great class that will offer you some very applicable skills. It helps to have some medical and or prehospital backround. I would be happy to PM you some stuff.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    This is great intel. Are these classes expensive? Of course that's relative. I guess I should ask if you have any experience with any one particular group that offers these classes and can recommend the most cost effective.

Thank you!
    The NAEMT class is usually $50-$150, depending on location, overhead, etc. First responder or EMT is often set by the community college, but here in NC not more than a couple hundred bucks. A good ol' fashion ARC first aid is often found around $50, maybe less.

TCCC ain't bad info (now watered-down as it been pre-packaged for the masses), but you should have some fundamental knowledge under your belt.

To me the best 'bang for the buck' is the NAEMT trauma first response course...good fundamentals, focuses on trauma until a more competent authority shows up, and doesn't mess with the EMT stuff that most people will never use if they do not work in the back of a bus (i.e., child birth, overdoses, etc.).

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    The NAEMT class is usually $50-$150, depending on location, overhead, etc. First responder or EMT is often set by the community college, but here in NC not more than a couple hundred bucks. A good ol' fashion ARC first aid is often found around $50, maybe less.

TCCC ain't bad info (now watered-down as it been pre-packaged for the masses), but you should have some fundamental knowledge under your belt.

To me the best 'bang for the buck' is the NAEMT trauma first response course...good fundamentals, focuses on trauma until a more competent authority shows up, and doesn't mess with the EMT stuff that most people will never use if they do not work in the back of a bus (i.e., child birth, overdoses, etc.).
    Great intel! I have emailed the listed POC's.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    TCCC is excellent. Still strongly suggest getting your EMT-B. Rapidly identifying a Heart Attack or Stroke in someone you love is prolly more likely a scenario.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    Suarez Int'l offers some classes for tactital medicine. They have a website called www.warriortalk.com where you can read the after action reports on their classes. See if that might be what you are looking for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NVSeabee View Post
    Suarez Int'l offers some classes for tactital medicine. They have a website called www.warriortalk.com where you can read the after action reports on their classes. See if that might be what you are looking for.
    You are joking right? Shady past and rather questionable present.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    You are joking right? Shady past and rather questionable present.
    Details please.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast