Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Want Sutures? Bad Idea! (Wound Healing Without Sutures)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    While my own personal medical knowledge is next to nonexistent, I do have some first hand experience with dealing with a deep wound. I had a roughly 1 inch long and 1 inch deep incision into my right butt cheek as the result of an abscess. My treatment involved flushing it at least 3 times a day, as well as after bowel movements and not counting showering, with roughly 3 liters of warm clean water and then dressing the wound with sterile gauze, but not packing it. The wound took about a month to heal while I'm not sure how bad the scar is, I can feel it, none of the women I've been with have complained about it being huge or ugly.

No pain killers or antibiotics. I had both after the first surgery that removed the abscess, but none after the second one that basically just removed the drainage tube and prepped the site for good healing, not to sure, its been a few years.
    Pilonidal Cyst? If so, I know you're situation.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    I'm not endorsing this ... but I've heard that in Bosnia (or Kosovo, or whatever regional flare it was I read about) they were using hydrogen peroxide.

Easiest/safest is boil them.
    You can buy surgical scrub about anywhere- contains chlorhexadine. great for wound managment and also great for cleaning utensils in a pinch.
    manual cleaning and then you can sterilize it in several fashions. Boil the utensils in water for 20 minutes will do it, if you had a pressure cooker it would do even better. the pressure cooker is an archaic method of autoclaving.
    If you are in the field, you should still scrub biomaterials off the utensils and then you can soak in rubbing alcohol bath.

the old poor a "sip" of whiskey on the blade isn't exactly the gold standard.

In reference to the rest: suturing is easy once you get the hang of it. knowing when to suture and when not to suture is the hard part. you don't suture to "stop bleeding", you suture to re-unite an open wound that is already in the process of healing through 2nd intention healing.
    I keep non absorbable suture in my FA kit as well as autoclaved needle holders, forceps, scissors and a scalpel. Suturing is rarely a "life saving" even when it comes to superficial wounds, but the wounds will heal a lot nicer and in most cases faster! (which is in disagreement with what someone above said). it's faster because the closer the 2 ends of tissue are together, the less granulation needs to occur to "bridge" the gap.
    If done correctly it can prevent infection, but I've seen some HORRIBLE suturing on people and animals that was counter productive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Will nursing students learn how to do this?
    I just graduated from nursing school. I have packed pressure ulcers that you could fit your fist into on multiple occasions, so yes I'd say nursing students will learn a thing or two about wound healing.

ETA: To clarify I have not sutured anything. The extent to which we learned about would healing revolved around the concepts of keeping it clean and promoting formation of granulation tissue so that it can heal effectively.

Whoever posted about putting honey in wounds
    Last edited by N4LtRecce; 12-18-12 at 19:53.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345