Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 357 revolver for hiking/camping in back country?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

357 revolver for hiking/camping in back country?

Am thinking of adding a 357 revolver and lever rifle to our armory for camping and hiking and wondering about recommendations on the 357 revolver?

My wife can shoot a 357 reasonably well, but not a 44. So thats why my choice in 357.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    6" 686 with new sights.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I absolutely love my 3" SP101. Very accurate, after about 300 or so rounds, plus a good bit of dry fire, the trigger is great.
    Very solid built revolver.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    IMHO go with a Ruger S/steel GP100 with a 4" barrel. These pistols are built like tanks and can handle heavy/hot loads repeatedly. Also the grip design absorbs recoil well since the grip encloses the grip frame in rubber.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stainless Ruger GP100 4" is a good gun for this role.

So is a S&W pre lock 681 or 686

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If size and weight are an issue, I'd opt for a 3" S&W Model 60-10. If not, I'd probably go for a 4" 7-shot 686.

Nothing at all wrong with a GP-100. I just happen to prefer Smiths.
    Last edited by Frailer; 08-27-12 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'd look for a 4" 686, something pre-MIM pre-lock. However unless you have a lot of experience running a wheel gun under stress a Glock 20 might be worth a look. I love my revolvers but when it comes down to it I shoot a Glock better, which is good, because it's also lighter, holds more rounds, can take a flashlight, and is more resistant to the elements than my revolvers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I'd look for a 4" 686, something pre-MIM pre-lock. However unless you have a lot of experience running a wheel gun under stress a Glock 20 might be worth a look. I love my revolvers but when it comes down to it I shoot a Glock better, which is good, because it's also lighter, holds more rounds, can take a flashlight, and is more resistant to the elements than my revolvers.
    +1

Glock 20 is not a bad option for a backpack gun. The ammo is a little high, but the 10mm is an impressive round. Plus, that's 15+1 compared to 6. If you are familiar with the Glock platform, I would give one of those a try before trying to learn a wheel gun. That being said, the 686 is a Hell of a choice for a wheel gun, if you decide to go that route.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I absolutely love my 6" Ruger GP100 and Marlin 1894C setup.

I have easily taken Texas deer and hogs with each of those guns. Would carry them anywhere but the African brush...

good luck finding a lever action now though. Marlin has discontinued thier line of pistol caliber carbines, and others are hard to come by I understand

Last edited by matemike; 08-28-12 at 20:08.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Are you leaning toward DA or SA?

Are you referring to TX back country or will you and your wife travel to other locales with bigger, toothier critters?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast