Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 357 revolver for hiking/camping in back country?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When is the pre-lock, post-lock distinction for the 686 (what year)?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My aunt married an Alaskan backwoods homesteader. If you ask then where they live, they will say "8 hours downriver from Eagle."

He wanted a bear gun for when they are out working in the woods. He had me find him a 357 and I ended up finding a good deal on a used GP100 4" stainless.

His saying was that he wanted something he could stick on the bears chest/neck/head/gut (where ever he could) and empty the cylinder...

---
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    If you are hiking, weight matters. The pistol is for carry more than range shooting. Also, a 4 inch is easier to carry than a 6 inch revolver.

My choices for hiking are:
    Used S&W 66
    New Model Ruger Vaquaro 4 5/8 barrel
    Used Ruger Security Six or Service Six

The S&W 686 is a very nice gun, probably the best all round revolver ever made, and it is my woods gun. But it and the Ruger GP100 are both on the heavy side. If you are carrying a pack, sleeping bag and tent, it will make a difference. Not huge, but noticable. Also, look at single actions. Bears don't know the difference between double and single action.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 08-29-12 at 02:10.

Feedback Score
    For hiking where weight is always a concern I vote for 3" SP101.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What are the threats you're expecting, or needs you need to meet with a fiream, in the areas you're going? Perhaps a modern autoloader that carries easily, with smartly chosen ammunition, that you are already familiar with, will suffice?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post

The S&W 686 is a very nice gun, probably the best all round revolver ever made, and it is my woods gun.
    Yes and yes. Do you use different loads when in the woods?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    packing an all steel wheelgun while hiking can get old pretty fast.

when I go into the woods I typically carry my S&W 386 Night Guard(357mag), its super light and 7 rds and its damn accurate, its one you will be able to carry all the time and as a bonus its a great carry gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Texas, New Mexico and Colorado are the states in which the wife and will be in so bear and mountain lion are what we could run into.

Figure the weapon will be more for a sense of security rather than actual need.
    But will have something and not needing it will bejust fine. But will still have something.

Feedback Score
    Smith made some model 60's with 5inch barrels recently, that could be light handy and good sight radius. I've not used the new model Ruger black hawks but that is another choice I'm not sure if the grip frames are steel or aluminum so weight might be a consideration.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MH64 View Post
    Am thinking of adding a 357 revolver and lever rifle to our armory for camping and hiking and wondering about recommendations on the 357 revolver?

My wife can shoot a 357 reasonably well, but not a 44. So thats why my choice in 357.
    I would rather download the 44 till she can handle it. But if bears are not a concern it really does not matter what caliber you pick. A Glock 20 with good loads beats the pants off a 357 revolver as a woods gun in my opinion.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 08-30-12 at 01:30.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast