Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 357 revolver for hiking/camping in back country?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Pat,

I just compared a 125 gr. .357 load to a 180 gr. 40S&W load in Golden Saber on the Remington website.

The 40S&W is one pound of energy shy of the 357 at the muzzle and has more energy at the longer ranges. It leaves the muzzle 65 fps slower, not really much difference there. Seems to me 15 rounds in a lighter package that is similar to a carry gun would make a lot of sense.

And - you don't have the expense of the 10mm round.

I met a DNR guy who put down a couple of black bears with a 40S&W. Do you find it adequate or what do you think? [eh - looks like you already said you don't trust a duty caliber]
    Last edited by Business_Casual; 08-31-12 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IIRC the 180gr FP FMJ .40 loads have a lot of penetration in gelatin testing, I often thought I'd probably rather have a G22 or M&P than a .357mag if I had to rely on factory ammo.

I do think some of the .357 specialty loads like the stuff from Buffalo Bore would have more penetration though.

I find this interesting as well;
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=67

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Pat,

I just compared a 125 gr. .357 load to a 180 gr. 40S&W load in Golden Saber on the Remington website.

The 40S&W is one pound of energy shy of the 357 at the muzzle and has more energy at the longer ranges. It leaves the muzzle 65 fps slower, not really much difference there. Seems to me 15 rounds in a lighter package that is similar to a carry gun would make a lot of sense.

I met a DNR guy who put down a couple of black bears with a 40S&W. Do you find it adequate or what do you think? [eh - looks like you already said you don't trust a duty caliber]
    Your selected .357 load is light.

A 158 at 1500 is more like it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Pat,

The 40sw is a lot shy of a full house 357 mag and a full power 10mm. About 200 fps or more. Plus you should not be using JHP rounds if bears are a threat. You want deep penetrating FMJ's or hard cast lead bullets. Bears have been put down with .22 long rifles with a lot of luck however I would not bet my life to it.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 08-31-12 at 21:53.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Having shot my share of black bears I can tell you a 9mm is not enough to reliably stop a black bear. Nor would I trust any service pistol round.
    Pat
    Wouldn't be my choice in bear country but for the recoils/weight limited it might be a reasonable compromise.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Wouldn't be my choice in bear country but for the recoils/weight limited it might be a reasonable compromise.
    Its better than a sharp stick but I would say either a Glock 20 or a 4 inch 629 makes a better compromise.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've carried both and agree.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Your selected .357 load is light.

A 158 at 1500 is more like it.
    I couldn't find anything like that, most I could find was around 1,200 fps. with about 535 f/lb of energy.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got a SP101 which I had tuned up by Gemini Customs which is a heck of a nice little gun. But if I'm wandering around in bear country I take the 4" Redhawk with some 300gr. Buffalo Bore loads.

Once that bear gets done gnawing on me, I want to make damn sure I put myself out of my misery with one shot!

Another helpful hint is to file the rough edges of the front sight so it doesn't hurt as bad when the bear shoves it up your ass.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Go ahead a shoot a heavy .357 load in a light frame, I bet your range session will be a short one.
    Been there done that. Sold the scandium framed fancy gun, kept the "heavy" 4" 686.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast