Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPR muzzle device

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SPR muzzle device

I am getting my list(and funds) together to build an SPR type upper. Wont bore you all with all the details, but I am planning to use an 18" Rainier Ultra Match barrel.

The last thing on my list I need to figure out is a muzzle device.

I am thinking one of the JP tactical comp's would probably work well since I believe its geared more towards accuracy than most of the other designs out there, which most of them, to me, are designed for the tactical crowd and 16"(and shorter) guns.

However

I have an AAC 762SDN-6 can in process right now. I dont know how much(if ever) I would use the can on this upper, but the option might be nice. So an AAC Brakeout is also on my radar.

If I am shooting the gun unsuppressed would the Brakeout cause any kind of crazy accuracy loss?

I know suppressed I will have a possible reduction in accuracy and am ok with that, but like I said the majority of the shooting with this gun will be un-suppressed, but I might like the option of suppressed shooting.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Comps are not necessary on SPR's. In fact, the associated blast from a comp will cause massive dust-printing when shot low to the ground in dusty, rocky, leafy, or otherwise loose terrain. Not ideal for the role an SPR is designed to fill.

Top port comps such as the Battle Comp alleviate some of this, but then you run into the associated accuracy degradation. This degradation usually is not severe, but you've dropped the coin for a top of the line barrel and will presumably be shooting match grade ammunition. Why add a component to the equation that reduces accuracy, no matter how slightly, when the benefits are so negligible for the intended application? It doesn't make sense.

If you plan on ever possibly using the AAC can, just go with a Blackout FH instead of the Brakeout. It makes so much more sense assuming the use of an SPR in its intended role. Muzzle rise and recoil are not as important for the high levels of short to mid-range precision that SPR's are designed to dominate in. The flash reduction and low observability characteristics of an effective flash hider are.
    Last edited by a0cake; 08-29-12 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I guess I hadnt thought of the dust being kicked up, but honestly everywhere around here is basically benchrest anyway.

I figured with a battlecomp you would have a loss of accuracy and some of the other designs are similar in they provide a non uniform muzzle blast.

I am now contemplating a White Oak Varmit barrel that isnt even threaded, just a plain bull barrel although I would lose the ability to run a can if I wanted to(although, like I said, it would probably be rare for me to run a can on this gun).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I guess I hadnt thought of the dust being kicked up, but honestly everywhere around here is basically benchrest anyway.

I figured with a battlecomp you would have a loss of accuracy and some of the other designs are similar in they provide a non uniform muzzle blast.

I am now contemplating a White Oak Varmit barrel that isnt even threaded, just a plain bull barrel although I would lose the ability to run a can if I wanted to(although, like I said, it would probably be rare for me to run a can on this gun).
    Oh okay. Well, for absolute best accuracy, no muzzle device at all is best. In an extremely, extremely close, effectively unnoticeably different second place is a pronged FH like the AAC Blackout.

I gotcha' that it would be "rare" to run the can on the gun. Well, without the threads and device, it won't be rare, but impossible as you said. So if the Blackout fits into the budget, and you have an AAC can that you might possibly consider thinking about ever putting on the gun, there is no downside to it. You're probably tracking already, but you can get those WOA barrels in threaded configurations also.
    Last edited by a0cake; 08-29-12 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Oh okay. Well, for absolute best accuracy, no muzzle device at all is best. In an extremely, extremely close, effectively unnoticeably different second place is a pronged FH like the AAC Blackout.

I gotcha' that it would be "rare" to run the can on the gun. Well, without the threads and device, it won't be rare, but impossible as you said. So if the Blackout fits into the budget, and you have an AAC can that you might possibly consider thinking about ever putting on the gun, there is no downside to it. You're probably tracking, but you can get those WOA barrels in threaded configurations also.
    damn it, now I got to make decisions and I dont like to be forced to make decisions. I like to be spoon fed everything.

I can afford the Blackout.

18" Rainier Ultra Match(shilen blank with ratchet rifling)
    18" White Oak SPR barrel
    20" White Oak Varmit barrel

hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    damn it, now I got to make decisions and I dont like to be forced to make decisions. I like to be spoon fed everything.

I can afford the Blackout.

18" Rainier Ultra Match(shilen blank with ratchet rifling)
    18" White Oak SPR barrel
    20" White Oak Varmit barrel

hmmmm, decisions, decisions.
    Fortunately, there's no losing with those options. Were you to ask me, I would recommend the Rainier barrel mated to a Rainier Ultra Match Billet upper. Those RUM barrels are second only to the top tier cut rifled Kriegers etc. But obviously WOA's shoot lights out too. So again, no bad choices here.
    Last edited by a0cake; 08-29-12 at 16:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The billet uppers are OOS so I think I am going with a Vltor MUR, possibly without the FA since I am contemplating running the JP low mass bolt carrier. But if they come back in stock when I am ready to build(probably later next month) I will probably go with one since I like the milled in FA and brass deflector vs. the riveted on(or however its held on) on the Vltor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You do understand that you cannot predict accuracy gains or losses prior to actually shooting with a can on correct? In fact, most well-designed suppressors give you a little increase in accuracy. There are many more than just anecdotal stories about groups tightening up after the installation of a silencer.

Are you thinking about POI shift? Again, it may or may not happen, but the only way to see is to shoot it to find out. It is far more important that the shift be repeatable than anything else. If I know it's got a .25MOA shift down, it's super easy to dial for that.

Either way, if you have an available silencer, I see no reason why you shouldn't use it.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    If I know it's got a .25MOA shift down, it's super easy to dial for that.
    That would be super easy, LOL. Because you wouldn't even have to do anything. Can you hold that, let alone notice a 2'' shift at 800 yards? I can't.

Just ribbing you a bit. Your point stands.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    That would be super easy, LOL. Because you wouldn't even have to do anything. Can you hold that, let alone notice a 2'' shift at 800 yards? I can't.

Just ribbing you a bit. Your point stands.
    That was kind of my point
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast