Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My First Build - Will everything work?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRightWing View Post
    Yes, it comes with buffer spring and end plate. And yeah, I know I'll need mags. How much will 30 pmags run me?
    Nothing wrong with building a rifle first time out. It's a great way to learn the platform and how everything works together.

30 round mags are about $14 IIRC, but shop hard and you can find them cheaper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    The question at hand is not will this stuff work together, will it work together for you?

Before assembling and obsessing over a shopping list, how much experience do you have with the platform? You are a self proclaimed noob, how did you come to this parts list? The recommendation of others? That is a shitty way to go, building an AR for someone else.

Have you thought of buying a quality factory (vanilla) AR and learning the most important thing, how to shoot it and maintain it effectively? If this is indeed your first AR building may not be the best choice. Get a gun, get ammo, practice/train, most importantly shoot the piss out of the thing. Nothing like rounds down range to quickly lead you to what you like and what doesnt work. Worry about building one when you know whats up. One just for you!

I disagree, the guy just wanted to know if the parts would be compatible. He didnt ask for your opinions on how he should go about getting his first AR. I built my first AR and have shot 1000+ rounds without any failures. It is exactly what i wanted and thats all i can ask for. I had 3 friends buy complete rifles and everyone has had a problem.

And whats wrong with taking someones recommendation on what parts to get. How else is he going to have an idea of whats quality?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Wallace8 View Post
    I disagree, the guy just wanted to know if the parts would be compatible. He didnt ask for your opinions on how he should go about getting his first AR. I built my first AR and have shot 1000+ rounds without any failures. It is exactly what i wanted and thats all i can ask for. I had 3 friends buy complete rifles and everyone has had a problem.

And whats wrong with taking someones recommendation on what parts to get. How else is he going to have an idea of whats quality?

Thanks haha. Like I said at the beginning of my post, I may be a noob, but I've definitely done my research. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have any dumb mistakes in the build. My plan to build this weapon from scratch seems to be an excellent way to become very familiar with the system. I have experience with ARs and know what I like.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRightWing View Post
    Thanks haha. Like I said at the beginning of my post, I may be a noob, but I've definitely done my research. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have any dumb mistakes in the build. My plan to build this weapon from scratch seems to be an excellent way to become very familiar with the system. I have experience with ARs and know what I like.
    Pardon me, but these two phrases seem to be contradictory. How can you be experienced with ARs and be a noob?

If you're absolutely intent on building an AR, start witht the lower. Of the two main halves, it's the more forgiving. If you're still feeling brave and confident in your abilities, move on to the upper. One more piece of advice, I'd buy a barrel with the FSB already attached and do a chop 'n grind job on it. Sure cutting the forged steel sight base sucks, but you don't have to worry about aligning the gas block and gas port.
    Good luck and have a gun smith's number nearby just in case. (Think Murphey's Law)
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    Pardon me, but these two phrases seem to be contradictory. How can you be experienced with ARs and be a noob?

If you're absolutely intent on building an AR, start witht the lower. Of the two main halves, it's the more forgiving. If you're still feeling brave and confident in your abilities, move on to the upper. One more piece of advice, I'd buy a barrel with the FSB already attached and do a chop 'n grind job on it. Sure cutting the forged steel sight base sucks, but you don't have to worry about aligning the gas block and gas port.
    Good luck and have a gun smith's number nearby just in case. (Think Murphey's Law)
    I'm new to building them. I've never fully assembled an AR.

Feedback Score
    What's the point of the YHM flash hider?

Why not just get a DD barrel with FSB, and shave it down?

Are you gonna get ambi controls?

Have you considered VLTOR A5?

What kinda sling, and mounting points are you thinking of?

What kinda light, and mount are you thinking of?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Oh sorry I didnt realize he was an experienced noob. My bad.

Good luck with your legos!
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ2zEv1ukzyH_aeFG6-amwPk7CUBz7b4URcTQ8lFFl-LOLSDkQ

"BRD, much like the Wutang clan, is nothing to f@ck with"

Feedback Score
    The only advice i know to give is:

1. Watch a youtube video of one being assembled before you start.

2. Take note of parts you will need and try to buy all at once. This will save a little on shipping.

3. Make sure the butt stock and buffer tube will match. I think mil spec is a little better.

4. Go ahead and buy lots of ammo

Feedback Score
    The only advice i know to give is:

1. Watch a youtube video of one being assembled before you start.

2. Take note of parts you will need and try to buy all at once. This will save a little on shipping.

3. Make sure the butt stock and buffer tube will match. I think mil spec is a little better.

4. Go ahead and buy lots of ammo
    All most excellent advice.

DIY Forums on some AR15 sites are also very helpful.
    Last edited by Maryland_Shooter; 08-31-12 at 09:05. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123