Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back up handgun for hogs

Feedback Score

Back up handgun for hogs

Of course the carbine is the primary weapon, but I'm considering which handgun is best for a back up gun in case I get an up close and personal charging hog.

Right now I have a 9mm Glock 17 and a .40 Glock 22.

Based on threads I've read here, there are a couple who recommend 147gr Winchester Ranger Talon (RA9T) in 9mm as a good hog round.

Is that true? Are there better loads?

Or am I better off with the .40 as a back up self defense gun in hog country?

If so, what loads would be best for this caliber?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 08-30-12 at 10:16.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I have shot quite a few up to 200 pounds with a SIG .357 using handloaded 124 grain Hornady XTP HP bullets at ranges from 50-75 feet and to administer a coup de grace. Best bet is a CNS termination.

Bullet placement is what it is all about.

For actually handgun hunting of hogs, I use a Thompson Center 10" barrel with 1.5X T/C scope .44 Mag with 300 grain Hornady XTP handloads out to 100 yards.
    Last edited by SkyPup; 08-30-12 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I carry my smith 686 in .357 with gold dot, but will probably be switching over to my 1911 with 230gr ranger t +p. I will try and bag some hogs this weekend at the farm with it and report back on performance.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    between the two you have,definitely the .40 caliber.it and the .45 have the most one shot stops bar the .357 magnum revolver round.good question on the type of round,as shot placement is key.the round would not only have to piece flesh and tough skin,but possibly thick bone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Serbu.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    All this summer I've been tending to my deer feeders and either putting up or moving stands. The hogs are about as thick as mosquitos where I hunt. I always carry my M&P 45 mid with me. I feel pretty comfortable if I happen to run into a hog and get charged.

Feedback Score
    With a charging hog it seems to me you'd want something that will penetrate the skull as much as possible. I would go .40 until I can get a 10mm or 44 mag.
    JOHN 3:16

Feedback Score
    dedicated hunting would be a 44 with 250g hardcasts

backup, I like a 1911 with 255g +P hardcast from Buffalo Bore or Double Tapp

for hogs, a deep penetrating hardcast is a lot better than a JHP
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would use whichever firearm had the highest available sectional density hardcast or FMJ load. I would not recommend utilizing a cartridge specifically designed for defensive uses against human beings. Reason being your concern when defeating a hog is maximum penetration and maximum disruption of tissue. Personally I would opt for the G22 and this loading:
    http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=607

Glock 22 4.5" bbl - 1106fps
    Pretty potent stuff for a .40 S&W chambering. There is also a 200 gr FMJ bullet they offer at the same velocity.

The worry for me with common HP ammo is that it's likely to yield the target penetration you'd see versus humans and that's unnecessary for hunting. You shouldn't be concerned with over penetration when hunting.

Feedback Score
    agreed with the above poster..
    in 45 ACP both of these rounds feed 100% and are very accurate out of my Dan Wesson Valor 5"

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=428

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=214
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast