Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back up handgun for hogs

Feedback Score

Have any of you had to do this?

Just wondering if any of you guys have actually had to stop a charging boar, either with the pistol or your long gun?

Seems that would be one hell of a tactical/marksmanship test. Those things get pretty damn big and seem to be pretty damn mean. My heart was racing shooting when they were running away from me, not sure how I'd react if it was coming right at me!
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
    You sure about that?
    There is not much I am absolutely "sure" about. However, my personal experience shooting caribou, mule deer and brown bear with hard cast bullets in the 1,000-1,800 fps envelope, and speaking with folks familiar with hard cast bullets used on cape buffalo and elephant, suggests that hard cast bullets out penetrate comparable weight and velocity jacketed bullets.

since I live around brown bears, I am always interested in learning more on this topic -- do you have different information?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Just wondering if any of you guys have actually had to stop a charging boar, either with the pistol or your long gun?

Seems that would be one hell of a tactical/marksmanship test. Those things get pretty damn big and seem to be pretty damn mean. My heart was racing shooting when they were running away from me, not sure how I'd react if it was coming right at me!
    Never had to do this, but I would want as many rounds as possible. I have shot hogs from 5 feet that I busted from their beds under a salt cedar. Killed two with my bolt .308. They were more interested in busting to the next county than charging. A wounded boar, now that's a completely different story. Make the first shot count, and hopefully do it before he knows you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is not much I am absolutely "sure" about. However, my personal experience shooting caribou, mule deer and brown bear with hard cast bullets in the 1,000-1,800 fps envelope, and speaking with folks familiar with hard cast bullets used on cape buffalo and elephant, suggests that hard cast bullets out penetrate comparable weight and velocity jacketed bullets.

since I live around brown bears, I am always interested in learning more on this topic -- do you have different information?
    Please know that I wasn't trying to insinuate anything.

Most folks will agree that hard cast is great for penetration. But for a fair comparison, I am not sure you can say that a 200gr .40 will out-penetrate a 200gr quality jacketed bullet out of 10mm. The 10mm will undoubtedly be moving a good bit faster. 10mm hard cast versus 10mm jacketed, all at same grain and velocity, hard cast wins.

But .40 hard cast versus 10mm, same weight, jacketed, who wins? Who knows? But I guesstimate that the 10mm will be moving around 200 fps faster than the .40, on average, and possibly more depending on the load (there's no replacement for displacement). I don't think that scenario is clear-cut by any stretch of the imagination.

Bottom line is to shoot a quality gun, with quality ammo, that you shoot well, and have tons of confidence in. Good discussion.
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is an interesting question. Folks who are in the hard cast camp, claim what seem like extraordinary effectiveness in penetration with what seem like modest hard cast velocity loads. Garrett Cartridges, for example, loads their Defender load designed for brown bear defense at 1,020 fps (as I recall). On Cape Buffalo, last I heard, they had never recovered a single Garrett bullet, shot from a 45-70 on cape buffalo, as all had exited.

I haven't shot an animal with the 200 grain hard cast load out of my .40, so it is just speculation at this point on how that will work out of the G22. It is my experience that the hotter the ammo in 10mm, the further out the reliability envelope you are pushing a Glock 20/29. So, if you need extra velocity in a jacket bullet, to match hard cast performance, that may be counter productive.

Another interesting question, is what the penetration difference if any would be between, for example the same 200 hard cast bullet shot from a G22, and from a G20 at 100-200 fps greater velocity. I do know that I shoot the small frame G17/22 better than the 20/29.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've finished off a 250+lb boar with a G20 10mm and 200?gr Hornady Customs.
    The round entered below the left eye and blew out 1/3 of the lower jaw ( head angled down), ruining the cutters in the process. If I hunt in bear country I pack the 10mm, otherwise I carry a G19 w/ 147grns. I have no experience with .40s&w but it sounds like a good compromise, especially if you reload.

Feedback Score
    Ruger Super Blackhawk, stainless, 5.5" barrel, .44 Magnum.
    Kurt
    Forum Owner, Florida Gun Forum

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSPKurt View Post
    Ruger Super Blackhawk, stainless, 5.5" barrel, .44 Magnum.
    But you can run out of rounds quickly in a bad situation. Having said that, I'll often carry my S&W 629 Classic with me in hog territory.
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My glock 21 chambered for .460 Rowland.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    My glock 21 chambered for .460 Rowland.
    What kind of ballistics are you getting out 460 Rowland? What is needed to convert your G21 to use 460 Rowland?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    What kind of ballistics are you getting out 460 Rowland? What is needed to convert your G21 to use 460 Rowland?
    When I researched .460 Rowland the two (there might have been others) that interested me:

http://460rowland.com/

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=852798

Both Rowland & LoneWolf will ream one of their barrels to accept the longer 1/16" longer case and warranty the barrel.

If you are into reloading (you should with this round - $$$) I would not purchase a non-compensated barrel. With a 24lb recoil spring and a non-compensated barrel, the brass will be nicked (at least in my experience).

LoneWolf (went with them) will bend over to work with you, Rowland is a quagmire. For whatever reason, they are VERY SLOW to reply to questions (if they even do). It is my opinion they have the better product.

I do not have a chronograph, but a buffalo bore round will exit a 6x6. Have a fellow member of my gun club who will loan me his chronograph for test. Will keep u posted.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast