Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal Inc. is bringing out factory AK-103's

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Alright, forgive my ignorance....

Presumably since this seems to be desirable it will also carry a premium. What, other than the folding stock, will distinguish this from the likes of a $500 Vector or Lancaster?

Someone needs to make an AK chart.....
    Factory made rifle, 90 degree gas block, AK 100 series sidefolding buttstock and future value when its discontinued.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNO View Post
    Factory made rifle, 90 degree gas block, AK 100 series sidefolding buttstock and future value when its discontinued.
    It's not a "parts kit" rifle, it's a factory receiver, cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel, which is new, not from a kit, the AK 100 series stock, as John mentioned.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Any idea on what the MSRP or better yet, "true selling" price will be?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    It's not a "parts kit" rifle, it's a factory receiver, cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel, which is new, not from a kit, the AK 100 series stock, as John mentioned.
    So what are the practical benefits of these features?

Again, not trolling, just trying to understand. When I bought my Lancaster, I called up Blaine and said "here's what I want to do. if you tell me I need to spend $1k on an AK to do that, I will". He came back with "buy a Lancaster for $500", which is why I recommend him to people today.

Are the added features that you get for the added cost of this rifle equivalent to the staking, MPI, etc. that goes into a Colt vs. an Olympic, or is the difference between this rifle and mine more like that of a Noveske N4 vs. a 6920?

I'm trying to put it into terms I understand. From the outside looking in, it appears that the AK-aficionados tend to be more about collecting and plinking than training and competing, so I'm trying to understand if the differences on this gun are collectibility issues or functional issues.

Ultimately I just want one of those AKs with the folding solid stock like that, and I'm trying to justify the rest of the gun in my mind.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Receiver - I'll take an original foreign built receiver over a US reverse engineered receiver any day, especially a stamped receiver.

Barrel - New, not used, cold hammer forged and chrome lined barrel, makes for a very accurate, durable barrel.

Gas bloc - The 90* block greatly improves the chance of the gas port coming in inside a groove, rather than on a land, and reduces the chance of the gas port biting the jacket of the bullet. This is the major reason the Russians changed the gas port on the AK-74 early on. The inside of the gas bloc is also hard chrome lined.

AK-100 series folding stock - By far, the most comfortable folding stock I've ever used, on any weapon system. Just as stable as a fixed stock and allows for an excellent shooter-stock interface, but folds up for storage or transport in confined spaces.

Assembly - Assembled in Bulgaria by Arsenal Bulgaria, one of the most highly respected and experienced AK factory in Europe. Modified, i.e. "unbanned", here in the US by Bulgarians gunsmiths and techs brought over by Arsenal Inc., effectively it's an Arsenal Bulgaria military rifle without the go-fast selector position.

Front sight bloc - The 24mm threaded front sight base slips over the muzzle, and allows for either the AK-74 style (AK-103) muzzle brake, or the Bulgarian flash suppressor, which is pretty effective.

I train as often as I can with an AK, and I consider it to be a viable platform.

I consider this to be one of the most promising 7.62x39mm AK's to come along, I've been really waiting for this.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyAndFight View Post
    Any idea on what the MSRP or better yet, "true selling" price will be?

My experience over the years is that Arsenal Inc.'s whole sale pricing does not leave a lot of wiggle room for dealers.

Uber is getting some in apparently:

http://http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2...ic.php?t=48295

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Can you explain what the "90* gasblock" is, what the alternative is, and what the advantage is to the 90*.

Please understand that I meant no disrespect with my comment about training, but from what I've seen on several of the forums more members seem interested in "rare" magazines and other parts than they do with actually getting out and training/competing with the guns. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my bag and my ignorance of the platform makes it hard for me to tell the difference between a gun that's desirable because it's collectible vs. a gun that's desirable because it's a better shooter.

Feedback Score
    The slr107fr looks like a perfect Ak and may be my last pre-another AWB frenzy purchase.

As far as the side folding stock goes I can attest that when it's employed it is as solid as a fixed stock, no play whatsoever and with my limited knowledge on AKs (although I have learned alot this year} I wouldn't even know it was a folder. Being able to cut 9 1/2 inches off the length of the gun in seconds is just a great option to have for a mixture of reasons.

While at the range tonight I saw a SAS M7 for sale NIB. Underfolder. Was a good price. Now I know the underfolders are less comforatable to shoot, but with it's large foot, it actually felt quite good, very solid. Coolness factor was high.
    The action on it was I would say almost twice as smooth as my 107cr, pulling the cocking bar was like butter, really surprising.

So...I bought it. What surprised me when I got home, was it was just manufactured 1/11/2008. I thought these had long been discontinued with the new milled coming out with 24mm threads.

Anyway...I am looking forward to seeing the 107fr when it gets here.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have no knowledge or experience with ANY version of AK rifle, but I do have a grudge against Arsenal guns: Every time I decide which model I want to buy as my first AK, Arsenal has already stopped making it.

What is my time window for jumping on the "SLR-107FR bandwagon"?

Feedback Score
    Price???????
    S/F

Al

"Hold on to your hate, it helps you stay focused"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast