Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Painted and Customized :) a 19D's Review (Army Cav Scout)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serlo II View Post
    I found the bolt on my got much smoother after a while. Still, it will never be up there with my Steyr SBS.

I did not have much luck with the iron sights, got frustrated and put a conventional scope on. It's a Trijicon TR24. It's pretty fast and accurate to medium ranges.

Overall, I like the rifle.
    Yes i noticed the bolt gets smoother but still it wobbles and jerks.

What do you mean about the iron sights - did you have trouble with zeroing it in? Yes the TR24 is an awesome sight; but man pricey

Feedback Score
    My Ruger Scout was VERY rough out of the box. It took me several hours of running the bolt with polishing compound before I was happy with it. While I tried both a Burris and Leupold Scout Scope, I ended up going with the full-length XS rail, medium Leupold QRW rings and a Weaver V3 1-3X variable. It is a TRUE 1X scope, so both eyes open snap shots are a breeze. Crank it up to 3X (not much, I admit), and you are good out to 200 yards plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossyrock View Post
    My Ruger Scout was VERY rough out of the box. It took me several hours of running the bolt with polishing compound before I was happy with it. While I tried both a Burris and Leupold Scout Scope, I ended up going with the full-length XS rail, medium Leupold QRW rings and a Weaver V3 1-3X variable. It is a TRUE 1X scope, so both eyes open snap shots are a breeze. Crank it up to 3X (not much, I admit), and you are good out to 200 yards plus.
    Yes, I am looking for the full XS rail for the RGS but I cannot find any in stock.

Feedback Score
    I could not get my iron sights to zero.
    I have the xs rail and it has a little peep sight. I admit I never tried it. I guess it will have to be for emergency use only.

I paid about $600 for the TR24 - not too bad concidering the cost of some of the new scopes out there.

Feedback Score
    do you know where i can get the full rail?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I will try XS. Thanks.

Brownells and Midway have been on backorder for a while now.

Feedback Score
    XS is also on backorder

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The big FAIL with the Scout as a concept is the brutally poor low light capability of scout scopes. But there are plenty of options to cure that.
    That the available scopes do not address low light issues is not really a failure of the "Scout concept". The "concept" as laid out by the Col. allows for this to be addressed if technology allows for it. the "concept" is NOT in stone and many areas of the concept clearly are general enough to allow for changing technologies and technology improvements to improve the concept of a "scout rifle".

That the current "scout scopes" are weak in this area is less a "knock" on the "concept" and more a reflection of manufactures believing there isn't a great enough market demand to improve/update the scout scope designs.

My memory is that the Col him self was not very satisfied with available "scout scopes", and this was 10-15 years ago when I came across such references and to my knowledge neither of the two "scout scope" manufactures has updated their design in a whole lot longer than that time period.
    Last edited by 1859sharps; 10-12-12 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    Midway got them into stock and out of stock within the same day. Fortunately I was able to get an XS rail. I gave up on the Scout Scope and went to more a traditional rifle configuration and grabbed a 4-16 x 40mm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast