Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nighthawk Custom GRP

Feedback Score

Nighthawk Custom GRP

Hi Guys,
    Is there are any Nighthawk Custom GRP owners or others with recent experience with this particular model?

I am considering purchasing my first high-end custom 1911 .45 ACP pistol.
    The primary use will be for range/ target shooting, and as a back-up for hunting and a general outdoors self- defense gun.

I found several models at a couple of local dealers to look at and have been able to shoot one recently. It very much reminds me of the Wilson CQB.

Any thoughts, opinions, or recent experiences with this particular model are appreciated.

SkiDevil

Feedback Score
    My NHC GRP is a nice (i.e: reliable and accurate) pistol... I don't know what more to say. It is my off-duty pistol during the winter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    My NHC GRP is a nice (i.e: reliable and accurate) pistol... I don't know what more to say. It is my off-duty pistol during the winter.
    Can you elaborate more on your use/ service of the pistol please; how many rounds fired, any malfunctions, wear on parts/ finish, ammo issues, any customer service experience with Nighthawk custom?

Thank you for any additional information

Feedback Score
    I've only put about 500 rounds through it with no problems at all, no FTF's, nothing. It does what it's supposed to do without any drama. The Perma-Kote finish will ultimately wear off on the edges from holsterwear, but that's not much of an issue for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    I've only put about 500 rounds through it with no problems at all, no FTF's, nothing. It does what it's supposed to do without any drama. The Perma-Kote finish will ultimately wear off on the edges from holsterwear, but that's not much of an issue for me.
    Thanks for the additional clarification.

I have spoken to several people who own a Nighthawk Custom pistol and everyone has said something similar. Another observation, is those individuals all had similar round counts as well.

Feedback Score
    I own three NHC's (a 10-8, GRP, and a Talon in 9mm). The 10-8 has a couple thousand rounds through it without any problems (other than holster wear). I do keep my pistols clean and oiled and I have changed out the recoil and firing pin springs a couple times on the 10-8 (w/ Wolff 18.5's).

I believe any of the major brands of custom 1911's are GTG... I just chose NHC because they were available at the time I was ready to buy (and I have not regretted this decision).

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have a 10-8 that I have had since 2008 or so. Round count is about 6000. This is my daily CC gun thru the cooler months. I have also used it in several 3gun matches. It has all original parts. I clean it about every 500 rds and have never had a malfunction of any kind. Finish wear is significant, but not obscene. When it gets too bad, I'll send it in to get the Diamond Black finish put on.
    I have also owned a Predator. It was a beautiful pistol, but I never shot it much.
    I have a friend who is not on this forum that owns 4 Nighthawks. He is a highly respected IDPA shooter and has round counts in two of his pistols that dwarf mine. He has used Nighthawks customer service 4 times. (to get pistols refinished, new sites installed, etc... He was well pleased 3 of the 4 times.)
    The last time he tried to use customer service, he was having some problem (can't remember exactly what) and the people that he spoke to gave him the run-around. He went days waiting for a return phone call. In the mean time, he diagnosed and fixed his own problem... it was accumulated grease and crud in firing pin channel.
    Now, this really wasn't a problem with the pistol, but it put a bad taste in his mouth. He is the kind of person that gets bent out of shape pretty easy if he feels jerked around and the more expensive an item is, the more he expects from their customer service.
    As a side note, he unloaded all this info to the Nighthawk Shooting team at a IDPA state championship match... so it HAS been brought to the companies attention.
    I should also say that he called me, telling me about all of the other times he sent his pistols in and how pleased he was with their service, turn-around time etc...

Completely off topic, I have had 2 Les Baer 45s. (still have one) I have had similar experience with them and have never had a problem. I think once you get to this level of 1911, they are all pretty good and it just comes down to who you want to send your money to.
    Last edited by Breadman; 09-06-12 at 02:07. Reason: added info

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
    The last time he tried to use customer service, he was having some problem (can't remember exactly what) and the people that he spoke to gave him the run-around. He went days waiting for a return phone call. In the mean time, he diagnosed and fixed his own problem... it was accumulated grease and crud in firing pin channel...
    So what was it? You can't remember the problem he had or was it the grease/crud? Additionally, your highly respected IDPA friend called CS because he had a dirty firing pin channel. How is that a CS issue and not operator error?

SkiDevil, I have a NH GRP I ordered in Feb of 2011. It was ready when I returned home from my deployment last year. I have been very pleased with it's function in the 1900 rounds I've put through it from Aug '11 through Apr '12. Realize that most of their models are more or less the same besides some external differences and cosmetics.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Timbonez; 09-06-12 at 06:48.

Feedback Score
    Probably overdoing it, but I clean the firing pin channel on my 1911's every time I clean them... I really try to leave nothing to chance on my weaponry.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    So what was it? You can't remember the problem he had or was it the grease/crud? Additionally, your highly respected IDPA friend called CS because he had a dirty firing pin channel. How is that a CS issue and not operator error?

SkiDevil, I have a NH GRP I ordered in Feb of 2011. It was ready when I returned home from my deployment last year. I have been very pleased with it's function in the 1900 rounds I've put through it from Aug '11 through Apr '12. Realize that most of their models are more or less the same besides some external differences and cosmetics.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I can't remember the malfunction he was having. The dirty firing pin channel was the problem. It was the kind of thing that was so simple that it was overlooked.
    He figured it out himself and cleaned it. (he also felt pretty dumb) however; that's not the point. The point is that in this case NHC customer service was lacking. I believe that was a large part of the OP's question.
    I have no experience with their CS as my pistols have been perfect, but I thought these experiences of a trusted friend (both good and bad) were relevant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast