Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How am I limited on optics with a Para FAL?

Feedback Score

How am I limited on optics with a Para FAL?

I am contemplating a 16" DSA Para SA58 rifle, but I want to make certain I can use either a T-1 or a 1-4x MTAC with a LaRue LT104 on it. The irons line up beautifully for me, so my concern is that the optics will be too high, requiring a cheek riser or buying different mounts. Not necessarily bad things, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. I haven't been able to find any optics-equipped FALs to try out.

Also, I'd like to hang a BABC on it. Has anyone tried this? Is it insane? Give the shooter a concussion?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You might need some kind of cheek rest if using an optic on the DSA mount. I remember years ago seeing someone that mounted a 1.75-6 Leupold with ultra-low rings. The rear of the scope would of hit the rail so they ground off the rear of the rail to make space. That's about as low as you can go.

I have thought about having someone mill the DSA mount to match up with the bottom of a H-1/T-1 so that they would mount even lower than using the included mount. That's about as close to co-witness as I can figure out.

ETA...I wouldn't use a Larue mount but just low or ultra-low rings. Get Q/R ones if you're worried about it.
    Last edited by Drummer; 09-04-12 at 19:32.

Feedback Score
    FAL's in general are not easily scoped and you will most likely not be impressed with the accuracy, IMHO. It was designed around iron sights.

For the price, you may just want to consider a modern SR-25 pattern rifle. The days of the inexpensive FAL are over unless you keep an eye out for the rare deals.

Feedback Score
    I keep seeing $1700-$1800 for DSA Paras. I'd love one of the new Colt 901s, but I probably won't be able to touch one for another year until the prices come down.

What .308 AR platforms are worth the money in that price range?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I keep seeing $1700-$1800 for DSA Paras. I'd love one of the new Colt 901s, but I probably won't be able to touch one for another year until the prices come down.

What .308 AR platforms are worth the money in that price range?
    The price is not the only issue with the new DSA products. Their QC has been steadily declining and they never seem to have anything in stock. If you can find an older DSA rifle from back when they used original surplus parts they're good.

Among other problems, there have been too many people reporting cracked, chipped and broken bolts which DSA now manufactures in house. You pretty much never see that with an original surplus bolt.

I would also rather have a heavily used original barrel than a new DSA barrel. If you're really set on an FAL, you're better off buying a complete original kit and assembling it on a Coonan receiver.

I can't personally recommend a SR-25 pattern rifle that's available now since I generally avoid CMMG and DPMS products. The Knights and LMT rifles are out of my price range. I'm waiting for the Colt 901 as well or perhaps the Armalite version that has been updated to accept SR-25 type magazines.

Also, new Magpul SR-25 type mags are ~$19 vs $20+ for used FAL mags...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nabO View Post
    The price is not the only issue with the new DSA products. Their QC has been steadily declining and they never seem to have anything in stock. If you can find an older DSA rifle from back when they used original surplus parts they're good.

Among other problems, there have been too many people reporting cracked, chipped and broken bolts which DSA now manufactures in house. You pretty much never see that with an original surplus bolt.

I would also rather have a heavily used original barrel than a new DSA barrel. If you're really set on an FAL, you're better off buying a complete original kit and assembling it on a Coonan receiver.

I can't personally recommend a SR-25 pattern rifle that's available now since I generally avoid CMMG and DPMS products. The Knights and LMT rifles are out of my price range. I'm waiting for the Colt 901 as well or perhaps the Armalite version that has been updated to accept SR-25 type magazines.

That's disappointing to hear about the QC issues. FALs fit me so well, too. I guess I'll just get a nice bolt gun for half the money.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really wanted a fal too, but the there seems to be more going against it than for it. I am just going to wait and get the Colt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Out of a DSA Para 16" after around 200 rounds (if I remember correctly). Bad thing, it broke. Good thing, they fixed it fast, not that it excuses the issue. No issues since after around 600 rounds.

Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nabO View Post

So what you're saying is, I should buy a Romanian PSL?

Feedback Score
    Interested in a match grade pre-1989 FN-FAL (Fabrique-Nationale) Gun south import? It is full stocked but it is a para upper. (The upper on these is the receiver for the firearm, and carries the serial number and imprinted data (and the accuracy).

Send me a pm if you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast