Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How am I limited on optics with a Para FAL?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Out of a DSA Para 16" after around 200 rounds (if I remember correctly). Bad thing, it broke. Good thing, they fixed it fast, not that it excuses the issue. No issues since after around 600 rounds.
    Well, at least they were kind enough to install a genuine Belgian extractor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    So what you're saying is, I should buy a Romanian PSL?

Heh, at least the ammo is affordable.

I thought about getting a Dragunov or PSL years ago but I decided that I'm too lazy to clean up after corrosive ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFB View Post
    Interested in a match grade pre-1989 FN-FAL (Fabrique-Nationale) Gun south import? It is full stocked but it is a para upper. (The upper on these is the receiver for the firearm, and carries the serial number and imprinted data (and the accuracy).

Send me a pm if you are.
    Sounds like a beautiful rifle but might as well just buy an FN SCAR 17...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You might need some kind of cheek rest if using an optic on the DSA mount. I remember years ago seeing someone that mounted a 1.75-6 Leupold with ultra-low rings. The rear of the scope would of hit the rail so they ground off the rear of the rail to make space.
    I've seen the same things on a friends Fal rifles that he chose to mount optics on. He wasn't that impressed with the accuracy either. That's before and after the upgrade to med. hvy. bbls.

Keith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I am contemplating a 16" DSA Para SA58 rifle, but I want to make certain I can use either a T-1 or a 1-4x MTAC with a LaRue LT104 on it. The irons line up beautifully for me, so my concern is that the optics will be too high, requiring a cheek riser or buying different mounts. Not necessarily bad things, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. I haven't been able to find any optics-equipped FALs to try out.

Also, I'd like to hang a BABC on it. Has anyone tried this? Is it insane? Give the shooter a concussion?
    Thee LT104 mount would be a poor choice - these are set up for good (if not highish) scope height on an AR. Low to medium rings will work and get you a lot lower (~.6") for a better cheek wield. Removing a few of the rear lugs on the Mount is sometimes needed.

Eye relief is always concern - you also need a good bit of eye relief to keep the Obj Bell in fronr of the rear irons - even more critical with the PARA style irons.

A low mounted Aimpoint is about the best of all worlds for the high setting dust-cover mount required on the PARA. Even then, you will need to remove the mount (in order to pull the bolt) for cleaning - unless something has changed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    Even then, you will need to remove the mount (in order to pull the bolt) for cleaning - unless something has changed.
    Aimpoint T1 is a good choice on the DSA top cover. Thats how I roll (painted R1 actually). You dont need to remove the mount for cleaning. Recoil assembly fits into the top cover in a toung and groove configuration. Comes right out the back. Clean it just like an AR, SCAR, HK roller locked, or any "from behind" type rifle. Removing the top cover is a nice and all, but not an absolute must.

Last edited by JPB; 09-07-12 at 21:44.

Feedback Score
    B&T Enterprises Ltd. offers a rail on a dust cover - I run a Micro T-1 2MOA on it with DSA para style AR15 flip iron rear and cowitness is lower 1/4. I don't remove the cover to clean and the rig is rock solid. Outstanding customer service too.

Last edited by O'DubhGhaill; 09-28-12 at 12:01. Reason: added photos

Feedback Score
    I have a DSA Stg-58 with DSA rail and an XTR14 in Burris med rings (.5" rail to bottom of scope). It is a tad high and JPB is right about the R1 working well (I moved mine over to a 629 though). I like the magnification and the imperfect cheek weld isn't so bad with the forgiving eye position of a 1-4.

I would have ordered Warne qd med (.375") but I had these Burris and too lazy/impatient/poor to sell and buy. Low (.25") won't allow space for the ocular bell over the rail and will most likely also be the case for the MTAC.

Feedback Score
    Why not just go to the Optics forum on the FALfiles and ask people who have an abiding love and interest?

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133

As for mounts, you can get a rail bonded to your top cover.
    I plan on doing it to my short gas para one of these days when I can afford to purchase the eotech I want for it.

Being an "older beat to crap by life Grandpa" means I am not running anymore like you youngsters, But I can still hit what I can see Thanks to the Marine Corps!
    We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am using an Aimpoint H1 with American Defense "Low" Mount and it works great. You will not get cowitness but it's low enough to where you don't need cheek rest. I have a 1/8" thick neoprene pad on my stock only for comfort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast