Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: New to reloading, questions on setup, processing, etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There are no absolutes in reloading. Read up on the different powders and go from there.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    Thanks. Now, my understanding is that temp sensitive powders will generate less pressure as it gets colder so if I worked a load close to max when its hot that load will still be safe when its cold, but not the other way around, correct?
    While what Mark says is true, and can be applied to more than just reloading, I would say that you're on the right track.

I wouldn't want to work up loads that are giving me any pressure signs at all, regardless of temperature. I don't like the idea of loading to max either.

I am pretty new to reloading as well, but from my research/reading and guidance from guys who've been reloading for a long while, I've come up with my own theory(*)...which is to stay within the recommended powder range, adjusted for the variability of the powder drop with "x" brand of powder.

For example, if I know that I am +/- 0.2 grains with Varget, then I will load to a max of 0.2gr UNDER the recommended max published load. (ex. max load is 25.8gr, I will load to a max of 25.6)...but this is just me being conservative...may not be what others do.

*This is without a chronograph. If I had a chrono, I would maybe try to work up a little higher as long as there were still no pressure signs and I had some significant velocity to gain...and a real reason to gain it.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 11-27-12 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Something is crushing your shoulder. IIRC I had the same problem but I can not remember if it was my seating die or crimp die.

Might be that your expander ball is touching too hard.

Go die by die and inspect the case after each step to find out exactly when the shoulder is getting crushed, then reset that die.
    Just a little update to my crushed shoulder issue, it appears I need to insert foot into mouth. I went die by die and found out that the crimp die actually crushed a couple of my cases. I still swear I saw one get crushed at the seating die, but I may not have seated the bullet correctly, and the lip may have caught on the FB bullet. I backed off the crimp, and it seemed like it did a much better job. I'll still keep an eye on it just in case it may still be both.

The neck tension on the TBBC bullet may be enough to not even worry about crimping...

Feedback Score
    So most of you guys don't have any qualms with picking up other people's brass?
    Take a couple of classes and you will have all the once fired brass you will need!

I've got buckets from my last Pat Rogers class, 1700 rds fired by each person muliplied by 30 people in class equals a whole lotta brass!

Feedback Score
    I been working loads up with AA2230 over the past few weeks and I'm currently up to 24.0 gr. I've loaded some at 24.5 gr and 25.0 gr to try out later this week. I'm also going to start loading some H335, H322 and TAC. 55 gr FMJ for every load. However its only going to be getting colder here. My last loads with 24.0 gr of AA2230 were shot in 40 degree weather. Later this week its supposed to be in the upper forties. Come warmer weather, should I expect pressure issues with the powders I'm using while developing loads in cooler weather? Ideally, for bulk ammo, I'd like to come up with something that can handle the seasonal temp swings, 10 to 90 degrees.
    When loading bulk training ammo, I look up the powders I want to use with the weight bullet I'm going to use in at least 5 manuals (I have all of them, even Normas!). I average the minimum and maximum charge,then start right in the middle. If it shoots well, I just go with it! If you stay well away from the maximums, you won't have to worry about pressure issues.

Feedback Score

pics

bump this back up as i have been reloading and I am trying to get more pics of setups so i can make mine better.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112