Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to reloading, questions on setup, processing, etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you have an electric drill you can zip the crimps off with the Hornady primer pocket reamer. It'll save you 70-80 bucks. I run that in favor of the Swager.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If you have an electric drill you can zip the crimps off with the Hornady primer pocket reamer. It'll save you 70-80 bucks. I run that in favor of the Swager.
    I agree on the savings aspect but just prefer super swage and find it worth the expense. I tried the reamer drill process and didn't like dealing with handling the brass to in one hand and the drill in the other nor do I like having to clean up the chips.

http://youtu.be/B9VLAeFwnq4

Swaging brass is a fill in project for me, the swager is always on my bench and I always have brass available already sized, trimmed and lubec leaned off ready to swage. I do it 10-15 at a time to kill time here and there. To each his own...
    Last edited by Boxerglocker; 09-05-12 at 14:24.

Feedback Score

Brass handling

Using a 550 and single stage Rock Chucker to process 223 is my method-all brass work is done first--the 550 powder msr is fine with ball powder--there is 0 reason not to use W748 or H335 type powders
    right now I just started 8# of W846..for resizing I use RCBS WATER
    soliuble lube-then I wash it off with a hose and dry on a towel--
    hot sun in TX makes it fast--electric drill and Lee set up using their case holder and wooden ball holding trimmer,,then cricket in and outside of case-then vibe clean-ready to run in the 550--why I trim
    every case is I use the Lee Factory crimp die on last station--get several primer tubes for your 550--loads of 223 laying around my shelves--I bought 2500 rounds of new brass a few years back and wish I had bought more !!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by E4for2 View Post
    --there is 0 reason not to use W748 or H335 type powders
    748 is temp sensitive, And H335 flashes like a camera.

There's two reasons right there.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

To MARKM

funny all my H335 loads are very accurate-NO FLASH-I have that funny looking thing up front that elemanates something--W748 Temp sensitive-where do you live--North Pole-W846 is one of the civie powders that is treated like WC748 MILITARY GRADE that controls heat and flash
    Last edited by E4for2; 09-05-12 at 21:44. Reason: # correction

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    funny all my H335 loads are very accurate-NO FLASH-I have that funny looking thing up front that elemanates something--W748 Temp sensitive-where do you live--North Pole-W846 is one of the civie powders that is treated like WC748 MILITARY GRADE that controls heat and flash
    I have to agree my 55g H335 load is super accurate out of my rifles. I did a urban precision rifle class a while back, part of it was a low light / night shoot and it didn't appear to flash any more than the other participant loads. My two rifles have a BC 1.0 and Rainier XTC compensator installed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd try that "worlds finest trimmer" or whatever it's called.

I did the possum hollow for a while. It's pretty nasty.

I'm loading so much now that the Giraud is just mandatory.
    Not trying to steal the thread, but I am in the same position as the OP. Im just wondering what you did not like about the Possum Hollow Trimmer. Ive been looking at it as well as the Worlds finest Trimmer.

Thanks

Chumly

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumly View Post
    Not trying to steal the thread, but I am in the same position as the OP. Im just wondering what you did not like about the Possum Hollow Trimmer. Ive been looking at it as well as the Worlds finest Trimmer.
    The Possome left a lot of chatter on the case mouth. It worked and kept brass in the rotation, but it was a little crude. Some guys mess with the rpm on the drill and get it to a minimal amount.

Once you chamfer and debur the brass isn't too bad. But the index on the thing is so generous that you can cut case mouths pretty untrue. And I'd get a lot of variation in OAL on the brass.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I use both of the powders. Here's what I found on flash....

I was goofing around with my 11.5 SBR and put this stupid CAV Comp on it. I had seen a guy running one in class and it was basically a flash enhancer.... I had to get one.

So I ran my medium H335 loads and hot W748 loads through it. At dusk the H335 was cool hollywood flash. but the hotter 748 load didn't flash at all.

I've kinda gotten away from ball powder just because of the harder carbon fouling.

Feedback Score
    Here's my way. It is "A way", not "the way":

(1) Deprime on SS

(2) Tumble clean

(3) Lube in ziploc bag

(4) Resize and trim (station #1), and then run necks over expander ball (station #3) on separate toolhead

(5) Prime cases with hand held primer. Store in dry container for later loading day.

(6) On 2nd toolhead, bell mouths (Lee Univer Flaring Die), charge cases, seat bullets and crimp on stations 1-4.

I started out a conmbo of a Lee Challenger SS and a Lee Turret Press and upgraded to a Dillon BL/AT500 which I then added my Lee powder dispensing stuff too. I also purchased the Dillion 1200 Trimmer system; kind of a pain to get set up initially, but once dialed in, I'm very happy with it.

If you want to crank ot 200 or more at a sitting, I'm definitely in the progressive camp.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast