Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a Springfield Pro $1000 more gun than a TRP?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post

The reason I would avoid the TRP is the bull barrel and lack of bushing. In his experience - they are quite accurate for x amount of rounds - then crap out quickly. Bushing based guns - not so.

Again - not MY personal experience - just that of someone with a lot of experience with 1911s. I'm sure some will disagree - others, not

john
    Some TRP have Bulls others not. Keep taking classes.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have owned a Springfield Custom Shop Gun until late last year. They are worth the $. (I owned a TRP a few years back too)

I've looked at Wilsons and Nighthawks, and prev owned an Ed Brown and Custom Shop Springer. If I ever buy a high end 1911 again, it will be a Pro.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I have a stainless TRP, and it's really nice. It chokes on JHP ammo once in a while, so it has a warranty trip to the shop coming up in the near future.

I was considering weeding out some stuff from my collection and financing a Pro, so my question is, am I going to see $1000 more value over my TRP?
    As with most things, there's a diminishing return at some point and the more you $$$ the less you get back. The Pro gets thumbs up from most of the BTDT 1911 experts (Yam, LAV, etc) and to a man, everyone I know who has one loves it.

At that price, you also have some other choices to consider, but by all accounts, the Pro is top tier quality in production custom guns.

Whether it's worth the additional 1k over the TRP is up to you. I can say, those I trust as authorities in 1911s will generally say yes, it's worth it.

It would be on the short list if I was looking for a top shelf production custom 1911 and my experience with them screamed quality and attention to detail, etc the TRP did not.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Not a smith or anything, but I did just finish a 1911 armorer's course last month - and I pumped the instructor for a lot of additional info.

The reason I would avoid the TRP is the bull barrel and lack of bushing. In his experience - they are quite accurate for x amount of rounds - then crap out quickly. Bushing based guns - not so.

Again - not MY personal experience - just that of someone with a lot of experience with 1911s. I'm sure some will disagree - others, not

So - I would go the Pro or Wilson route if I was looking. (As I mentioned in a different post a few weeks/months back - I bought a Dan Wesson Valor a few months back, and it has turned out to be everything I want in a 1911. OK - except for those damned hex head grip screws - an easy fix.)

john
    The TRP Operator has a bull barrel and the slide is cut for a bushing/guide rod plug if you want to swap out for a conventional barrel set up. Who did you take the course from?
    FWIW, I have a TRP Operator and it has been excellent. Functionally (accuracy/reliability), I'd put it up against any custom. I also have an MC Operator that I haven't shot enough to have an opinion on. They are both well made. I'd love a Pro but a custom 1911 is a relatively low priority for me at the moment as my production pieces are answering the mail.

Feedback Score
    From my experience I would buy any Dan Wesson 1911 or a Wilson. Buy once cry once.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You could have Wilson Bulletproof internals and external safety of your choice plus Meloniting for less than a grand.

That is the approach I would take after you get it running JHP. BTW, 200 grain JHP has been an issue with some guns so PERHAPS if you have it set up run that it will digest anything (LAV? Someone in the know?)

Just a thought.
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    In a word, no. It is not 1000 dollars better than a TRP.

You can get a better built gun for the same money as a Pro.
    Last edited by SigSlave; 09-21-12 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    To me it was, for what you get the Pro isnt really that expensive.

The longer I spend with 1911s, it seems that I learn to appreciate the little things, and notice how they start to add up.

The trigger, the accuracy and the handfitting are all things you will notice that the Pro has over the TRP.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I own both. Well, the PRO is a SA Custom shop build on a plain Jane SA Government model I bought second hand and sent to them. The TRP is factory.

I love the TRP and feel it is a great value. Mine is accurate and reliable and I carried it a lot. I would buy another.

I had the PRO built six years ago with my re enlistment bonus. It is a better built gun than the TRP. Much better. Tighter, more accurate, just as reliable. Having the two side by each, it's obvious that the PRO has is hand built. I would buy another of these also.

It is worth the extra money in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    I've owned the standard and railed PRO's for about 8 years now. They are excellent in terms of reliability and accuracy. The only issue that I have is the checkered front strap - it was designed for gloves and is very aggressive at 20 LPI. Be prepared for some rough skin if you shoot more than 200-300 round with bare hands.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast