Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Colt Python

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHallman View Post
    I have a 6" stainless Python, 6" stainless King Cobra, and a 4" stainless King Cobra. All have a steady diet of .38 special - full house .357mags.

The King Cobra is a cheaper version of the Python but essentially the same.

There are plenty of deals out there as with everything. The key is knowing people who know people in my case.
    You have a nice trio of Colts. Be advised that the only things in common with the Python and King Cobra is they're both Colts. The lockwork on the King Cobra is totally different than the Python. It uses the Trooper type internals. The Python is and was a great revolver but is not nearly as tough as the S&W or even the Troopers internals. The lockwork is somewhat fragile and is a royal pain to set the time when it wears. The Python is still the standard much as the 6920 is the standard AR's. Out of the box they were always much smoother than the S&W's. They harken back to when revolvers were a piece of art.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot TX View Post
    When you say the cylinder has some movement, what do you mean? The cylinder movement that matters on the old-style (pre MK3&5 crap) Colt action is when the trigger is pulled to the rear & the hammer falls. Pull the trigger & dont let it return forward - will the cylinder wiggle then? If so, you do have a problem & it will likely only get worse over time.
    I seriously doubt Colt has anyone left who is honestly qualified to re-time a Python. I've been trained for it, but won't touch a Colt re-time anymore - life is too short! I spoke with Hamilton Bowen about this over lunch this summer & he won't touch an out of time Colt anymore, either (I'm not in Bowen's league, but it was interesting to know he was of the same mindset).
    Cylinder & Slide or Grant Cunnigham are your best shots now to re-time a Python well & correctly. It isn't a cheap job & the parts are getting tougher to find by the day.
    Nope it still has solid lock up at the time of the trigger pull it just needs a tune up its got slight movement in the cylinder at rest...
    Over the years and many rounds down range its due for a tune..
    I heard once you notice movement in the cylinder even at rest one should have a tune up done.
    Thanks for the info on Cylinder and Slide
    "The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory"
    Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Excellent information on Colt internals here:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_..._delicate.html

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345