Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Python

Feedback Score

Colt Python

Who has one of these and still shoots it on a regular basis? I know that the Python is often considered the best looking smoothest 357 revolver. Too bad most of us can only afford the S&W 686 for the most part. I am wondering if anyone here has more than 5k rounds through theirs and hasn't had to get it retimed or any work done to it.

Feedback Score
    I've got one, I wouldn't say that I shoot it regularly. Mine is in the 1968 date range and I'm the 4th owner. I have no clue how many rounds it has had through it. My grandfather (gun shop owner) sold it to my dad. He sold it to one of his friends that was going to Colt Armorer's School. He took it to the school and did some trigger work on it, shot competition with it for a few years, sold it back to my dad, then he gave it to me as a gift. I would imagine it has had a couple of thousand rounds through it in its life (judging by grip wear and cylinder wear). It still locks up fairly tight, and the barrel looks like a mirror on the inside. It still shoots like a dream too, although I only shoot it a few times a year (so as not to put it in an early grave).
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    I inherited a 2.5" barrel version which probably has around 1,000 to 2,000 rounds through it. It has an excellent trigger, good sights, and is fun and easy to shoot. Mine has Pachmayr Gripper grips, which are a huge improvement over the factory grips. I shoot it rarely, because parts are going to become more and more difficult to obtain if I break something or wear something out.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have a 6" stainless Python, 6" stainless King Cobra, and a 4" stainless King Cobra. All have a steady diet of .38 special - full house .357mags.

The King Cobra is a cheaper version of the Python but essentially the same.

There are plenty of deals out there as with everything. The key is knowing people who know people in my case.
    Last edited by MattHallman; 09-12-12 at 13:57.

Feedback Score
    I have a nickle-plated 6incher that I bought a few years ago. This gun came out about 1957 when I was just a kid, and I always wanted one. Now that I have one, I really need to shoot it. Mine is still in pristine, never-been-fired condition. It's a great piece of machinery.

Al

Feedback Score
    I bought a new 4" stainless back in 1991 and fired full power magnums out of it regularly for a few years. I racked up about 6500 rounds through it by 1997 when it started skipping chambers and the bolt had to be replaced. I still have it, but I rarely fire my revolvers anymore. She shows quite a bit of wear for all of the use, but it's one of my "take it to my grave" guns.

Pythons really are magnificent revolvers for those of us who like to take a break from the practical side of shooting and just enjoy a fine gun for its own sake.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshark View Post
    I bought a new 4" stainless back in 1991 and fired full power magnums out of it regularly for a few years. I racked up about 6500 rounds through it by 1997 when it started skipping chambers and the bolt had to be replaced. I still have it, but I rarely fire my revolvers anymore. She shows quite a bit of wear for all of the use, but it's one of my "take it to my grave" guns.

Pythons really are magnificent revolvers for those of us who like to take a break from the practical side of shooting and just enjoy a fine gun for its own sake.
    Send it back to Colt. They will fix 'er up and not charge an arm and a leg, either.

Feedback Score
    Mine is a 1964 2.5" and I do shoot it on a regular basis. Couldn't tell you what the round count is because I don't keep track on my pistols. The stags are made by Patrick Grasshorn although I still have the original wood stocks for both. Cylinder timing is perfect with no splatter or end play. My 2.5" Lawman is pretty nice also but the action and trigger is not as sweet as the Python. I have a 4" King Cobra which I shoot on a regular basis but again nothing is as sweet as a Python.

MadDog

Last edited by MadDog; 09-12-12 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's mine:

Last edited by 700M1; 09-12-12 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 700M1 View Post
    Here's mine:

I've got one very similar. Mine has a bit of holster wear and a few dings. Looking up the serial number, I believe mine was made in '64. I don't shoot it much though and I've thought about selling it. I was told that for somewhere around $150, I could send it into Colt and they'd to a refurbish job on it and it would increase the value. It's tempting but I'm a bit skeptical. Around here, Colt Pythons command a hefty $1200 or so. Rarely do you find one under $1k.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast