Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colt Python

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KrampusArms View Post
    My buddies got a Python. It has the silkiest trigger I've ever felt on a revolver. They are works of art. He has fired maybe 400 rounds through it. We both agreed he should shoot it rarely, as it needs to be preserved.

Any of you reading who have never held or fired one, believe me, their praise isn't over rated. The damn things are exquisite.
    I loved the 4" Royal Blue a lot. I loved it so much that every gun I owned had to have a similar feel. I have a Ruger GP100 that is pretty darn close to it. I like the python so much I acquired another in 8" and 6" Royal Blue finishes. To me, they're the smoothest and most accurate pistols that I'll ever shoot. I am still looking for a Snub Nosed Python.

Feedback Score
    Best gun ever for putting down little girl zombies! I do want a shooter. I could never afford a safe queen example of the python.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have always loved the Python. In my opinion, revolver quality all around has really taken a nose dive since the 1970s.
    Insert impressive resume here.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I own a 1959 6" Royal blue Colt Python. I can speak to the OP's question as I really don't shoot the thing. At this point I consider it a work of art more than a firearm.

It is my only safe-queen.. all other guns get a good amount of mileage, just not the Queen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Wait. WAIT. Is that holster designed to carry two revolvers at once?
    Yes, it is called a "New York Reload" but I can't remember who made it for me. I am a lefty so it sits at my 8:00 position with the Python as my storng side draw and the Lawman as my cross draw. Why carry speedloaders when you can have a spare wheelgun? It is also great for driving in the car as the crossdraw is positioned perfectly when wearing a seatbelt.

MadDog

Feedback Score
    Ill be sending mine to Colt soon its cylinder has some movement
    Not to keen on doing so was wondering if anyone here has sent there snake to Colt for a tune up?
    If so what was cost and turn around time
    "The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory"
    Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverTongueDevil View Post
    Ill be sending mine to Colt soon its cylinder has some movement
    Not to keen on doing so was wondering if anyone here has sent there snake to Colt for a tune up?
    If so what was cost and turn around time
    When you say the cylinder has some movement, what do you mean? The cylinder movement that matters on the old-style (pre MK3&5 crap) Colt action is when the trigger is pulled to the rear & the hammer falls. Pull the trigger & dont let it return forward - will the cylinder wiggle then? If so, you do have a problem & it will likely only get worse over time.
    I seriously doubt Colt has anyone left who is honestly qualified to re-time a Python. I've been trained for it, but won't touch a Colt re-time anymore - life is too short! I spoke with Hamilton Bowen about this over lunch this summer & he won't touch an out of time Colt anymore, either (I'm not in Bowen's league, but it was interesting to know he was of the same mindset).
    Cylinder & Slide or Grant Cunnigham are your best shots now to re-time a Python well & correctly. It isn't a cheap job & the parts are getting tougher to find by the day.
    Last edited by Buckshot TX; 10-23-12 at 12:26.
    "The road to hell is paved with flip-flops" Claude Werner

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UTSig View Post
    I've got a 6" from the early '70s. My brother bought it new and shot it some, in the '90s he sold it to me. I sent it to Reeves Jungkind to have some work done and the gun is amazing. My wife likes it and shoots mostly 38 spl, I always end the shoot putting some magnums through it. If I were to guess I'd say 2000 rds.

Here's mine, my brother put on the Herrett stocks, I do have the originals:

Win
    Wow, that there is a beautiful piece. Congrats. I saw a 6in stainless at a gun show yesterday. Seller wanted 2 grand. He also had a 6in nickel and wanted the same price. I would love to have one of these some day. Stainless or Blued please!

Feedback Score
    Safe QUEEN

Feedback Score
    Absolutely gorgeous. Stunningly beautiful. I want one too. I think the best looking Pythons are the 4" Royal Blue ones.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast