Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My SHTF carbine is finally complete

Feedback Score

My SHTF carbine is finally complete

Well I went through all my accumulated parts and modded my first AR into what is my SHTF rifle. If I had to grab one out of the safe and a mag pouch and run for it- this is it.

Started as a complete Rock River Arms CAR-15 from the 2003 era.

-Daniel Defense lightweight profile 16" barrel with mid length gas system, AAC 51T Breakout on muzzle
    -Daniel Defense 10" lite rail
    -VTOR gas block
    -Hogue overmolded grip
    -Magpul CTR stock
    -TLR-1 weapon light
    -Troy Ind folding backup sights
    -Leupold compact 2-7x32 scope (no batteries required)
    -Rail mounted QD for 2 point sling
    -4 mags in mag pouch, 1 ready for gun gives me 150 rounds to go.

Last edited by zimm17; 09-06-12 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    very nice rifle!i`d rock that !

Feedback Score
    Thanks. The light barrel made the biggest difference in weight. I'm at 7 lbs 12 ounces as it sits minus bipod.

I have some sexier stuff like 300 blackouts and .50 Beowulf, but go rifle needs to be simple and in .223.

Last edited by zimm17; 09-06-12 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    Nice build! Why have the sights on there, when the scope makes them unusable?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeardsong View Post
    Nice build! Why have the sights on there, when the scope makes them unusable?
    They're back up sights. If the scope breaks (dropping rifle, etc), the rings are quick release. Flip the levers, remove scope, flip up the sights and rifle is still useable.
    Last edited by zimm17; 09-06-12 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
    They're back up sights. If the scope breaks (dropping rifle, etc), the rings are quick release. Flip the levers, remove scope, flip up the sights and rifle is still useable.
    Have you thought about getting these sights? (http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equ...on-sights.html)

"All cops have to make judgment calls they hope they won't regret. No cop ever bats a thousand." - Southland

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry your body." - Jack Bauer

"And maybe remind the few if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stand between the monsters and the weak."

Feedback Score
    I think they add to much bulk to the rifle. I doubt I'll need to drop the scope in a firefight. Just if it breaks while away from home, I can dump scope and still aim.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    You've got to watch out with those light barrels -they get hot very quick. They are not user friendly for high volumes of fire.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    You've got to watch out with those light barrels -they get hot very quick. They are not user friendly for high volumes of fire.
    Good point. This isn't my range gun anymore. I'm getting a varminter for that, or play with the 300 blackout.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Would you mind quantifying this statement a bit please?

OP, that rifle looks good. I've got a pretty similar setup going on for my outside go-to rifle. I really considered a Leupold 2-7, but got a really good deal on this MR/T w/Larue mount:

Last edited by ASH556; 09-07-12 at 09:19.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast